The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

781 - 800 of 811 Posts

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
Nice picture Mike. Flats have a great color.

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
Looks like your on a roll Mike. Another chunky flat.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Looks like your on a roll Mike. Another chunky flat.[/QUOTE

Thanks Tom. Sorry for any confusion but this is another update from my friends vacation week. These are all fish he and his girlfriend and other friends have caught this past week. My only part is that I set him up with all (6) of the rods and reels and he keeps me posted daily since I can no longer go due to health reasons. My apologies for any confusion.

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
Sorry you are not able to get out Mike. But your friend seems to be having a heck of a time. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sorry you are not able to get out Mike. But your friend seems to be having a heck of a time. Thanks for the pictures.
Thanks Tom, Maybe next year. He puts in the hard work and time needed to do good. Plus he has a great boat with great down imaging sonar. He just keeps finding spots with lots of sunken debris and fishes above them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I launched in south side and motored up to the spillway at highland Park Bridge and fished about 100 yards back in about 25’ of water. Temp was A perfect 68. Fished another couple spots towards the point With live BGs. NOTHING

·
Registered
238 Posts
Spent all weekend on the ohio. We caught quite a few channels. A nice drum and 2 flatheads. I tried a strawberry jello chicken bait and it worked pretty good. Even caught the small flathead on it. We also caught probably 30 white bass about the size of your hand. It was cold but a good time. Heading to shenango river lake this weekend try fro flatheads, channels, musky and pike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spent all weekend on the ohio. We caught quite a few channels. A nice drum and 2 flatheads. I tried a strawberry jello chicken bait and it worked pretty good. Even caught the small flathead on it. We also caught probably 30 white bass about the size of your hand. It was cold but a good time. Heading to shenango river lake this weekend try fro flatheads, channels, musky and pike.
Is Shenango still under that pollution advisory? I wanted to head there as well sometime before winter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I launched in south side and motored up to the spillway at highland Park Bridge and fished about 100 yards back in about 25’ of water. Temp was A perfect 68. Fished another couple spots towards the point With live BGs. NOTHING
Man I feel your pain. I fished the same stretch the last 3 times and haven’t caught A FISH. I’m new at this but there are some good spots through there that should hold good amounts of fish. I’m wondering if the commercial bowfishing in that pool is taking a big toll.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man I feel your pain. I fished the same stretch the last 3 times and haven’t caught A FISH. I’m new at this but there are some good spots through there that should hold good amounts of fish. I’m wondering if the commercial bowfishing in that pool is taking a big toll.
I’ve been cattin’ for 15 plus years. I love it!!! Being specific to cat fishing it will humble you some days for sure. I’ve fished everywhere, from the shore, from the boat, spillways, calm water, pools, slack, eddys. You name it. I got caught up fishing for ghosts, looking for that 44#r that I caught a few years ago. So this year I decided to branch out and explore. I’ve never been skunked so much in my life lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’ve been cattin’ for 15 plus years. I love it!!! Being specific to cat fishing it will humble you some days for sure. I’ve fished everywhere, from the shore, from the boat, spillways, calm water, pools, slack, eddys. You name it. I got caught up fishing for ghosts, looking for that 44#r that I caught a few years ago. So this year I decided to branch out and explore. I’ve never been skunked so much in my life lol
i can relate, I’ve been catching channels for 15 years up to the 15 lb range and just started pursuing flats this year. The wife and I caught two 15 lb’ers the first time we were out and We were hooked. But it went downhill from there. I love getting outside my comfort zone tho and fishing new species. Been skunked a lot for flatheads after that first trip but I don’t mind, it’s a process. Also started fishing for stripers and lake trout this year. Have yet to catch either at raystown on the first couple trips but I love researching and ‘nerding out’ on a new type of fishing. It keeps things interesting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Caught a few golden shiners tonight about 8-10” long. Put them in my bluegill tank to stock up for a trip this Thursday. Think they will make it till then? It’s a round 30 gallon tank with a bulge pump hooked up to a sprayer at the top. Good oxygen levels, cool water. I’m just not sure how hard they are to keep alive

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hit shenango river lake this weekend. Lots of pleasure boats still. Only caught 3 channel cats. Nice ones though. We were there friday night through Sunday my one came on a white bass and my buddys 2 came on strawberry jello chicken.
Screenshot_20200927-195751_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200927-195631_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200927-195711_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Buddy just hit his bucket list Flathead on the Allegheny River at around 10PM on Sept 10. It hit the lightest rod(of course) he had out. Okuma 8ft GLT Classic Cat with a Shimano Triton 300. 40 lb Flathead. View attachment 315264
Would your buddy be willing to narrow down the area he’s fishing the Allegheny? I’ve been focusing on the Mon with marginal success. I was thinking of trying the 12 mile island section of the Allegheny tomorrow. If anyone can suggest another good spot, I’m all ears!

781 - 800 of 811 Posts