The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

761 - 780 of 811 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was looking at the steel phantom for a while at the lock this morning. I passed some promising looking creek mouths. I honestly think the water is too hot. It was reading 82 at 0700. I’m going to try to make it out tonight for a few hours To break this dry spell
Where we were it got up to about 82 during the day. In the morning it was around 79.

I imagine near a creek mouth or below a dam would be preferable. I'm off the bank...I haven't made it down as much as I thought this year...going to shoot for at least 4 or 5 Saturdays between now and bow season.
That doesn't leave many other open Saturdays haha

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know it's been a tough summer for gettimg out..I fished so much from February to June then it came to a halt..but I'm ready to get going here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fished Conneaut Lake (I know not a known cat fishery) yesterday for bass musky and northern. Lol I just needed to catch SOMETHING!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was out 8n Harmarville Friday night. My cousin had somethin hit a creek chub. I had what im assuming was a flathead grab the channel cat I had on for bait at some point while I was sleeping. When I went to reel in I felt weight the pole was moving alittle more than I thought the channel would me moving it. Im assuming I started to pull it off the bottom because all of a sudden the rod loaded up and the channel cat come out. It was in rough shape. Still alive though. By the look of it I think a flathead grabbed it tail first there was almost squeeze marks right behind the gills and the skin was all messed up the tail was basically gone...still swam off though when I took it off the hook.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ok thanks. Appreciate it. Gonna hit somewhere there Saturday eve. Live gills ..cut .etc. I'll update any activity
Good Luck! My buddy and I are heading out tonight after work to the Ohio River for the weekend. Looks like tonight and tomorrow will be a washout. Plan is to wear rain gear and run 4 miles up river to a bridge and anchor under it to try to keep dry. As of last night the 6 shiners and probably 25 bluegill we caught were still alive so that's a plus.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good Luck! My buddy and I are heading out tonight after work to the Ohio River for the weekend. Looks like tonight and tomorrow will be a washout. Plan is to wear rain gear and run 4 miles up river to a bridge and anchor under it to try to keep dry. As of last night the 6 shiners and probably 25 bluegill we caught were still alive so that's a plus.
Not sure how much rain you guys are getting out there but if the water comes up and gets muddy, you could be hitting it at the perfect time!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not sure how much rain you guys are getting out there but if the water comes up and gets muddy, you could be hitting it at the perfect time!
It has been raining here most of the day. Nothing crazy but we have had a few cloud bursts. I am not sure how its been where we are going. We live about 2 1/2hr away. Hopefully its good. Never caught a flathead there. caught alot of channel cats small ones and some drum. The rain will change how we fish the area though. Like I said the plan is basically post up under a bridge and wait for the rain to stop. haha

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well. Not going fishing. Wheel bearing went out on the trailer. Lost a wheel. Thank God I wasn't to pittsburgh yet. Going to have to fix the trailer...not sure how I'm getting it home though...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This morning at 4 AM my phone sounded like a machine gun going off with message alerts. I knew my friend was fishing on the Allegheny for Flatheads and he was sending me pictures. They got 5 Flatheads(biggest 26lbs) and 5 decent Channels. He caught all the Flatheads on 9 Foot Okuma GLT Catfish rods with Vintage Daiwa Procaster PMF55 Heavy low profile reels from the 1980's that I set him up with. The PMF 55's have just a little bigger line capacity than a Daiwa Lexa 400 though only about 15lb Max drag and no Instant anti reverse and Leather Drags.

I tip my hat to them for having an excellent night and doing it with Vintage Reels. Bait was cut and live Bluegills.

P.S. He is Hooked now. He called me after they got up and was still all wound up!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
thumbnail.png
Well, another sleepless night because my phone got hammered again. My Buddy just finished on the Allegheny a short while ago(4 AM). Ended the night with a 37lb Flat besides they got an 18 and an 11 plus several nice fat Channels. He has done great the last 2 times out. I have some Pictures but they are stacked up in the e-mail que in my phone and I do not know how to get them to the computer.

Unfortunately, they broke one of the Abu BG7000iHSN narrow reels that i set him up with and now I will have to go to work when he gets it back to me.. He caught the big one on an Okuma 8ft GLT Catfish rod with an Abu BG7000iHSN reel(5.3/1 Ratio) on it.

He is off work all week so i expect more reports except for Weds/THurs.???
Since I am not able to get out and fish myself anymore due to health, at least I am able to supply him with some decent equipment and enjoy his success. Those trips to the James and Wheeler we went on are paying off for him. Again, cut and live Bluegill.

·
Registered
238 Posts
View attachment 314954 Well, another sleepless night because my phone got hammered again. My Buddy just finished on the Allegheny a short while ago(4 AM). Ended the night with a 37lb Flat besides they got an 18 and an 11 plus several nice fat Channels. He has done great the last 2 times out. I have some Pictures but they are stacked up in the e-mail que in my phone and I do not know how to get them to the computer.

Unfortunately, they broke one of the Abu BG7000iHSN narrow reels that i set him up with and now I will have to go to work when he gets it back to me.. He caught the big one on an Okuma 8ft GLT Catfish rod with an Abu BG7000iHSN reel(5.3/1 Ratio) on it.

He is off work all week so i expect more reports except for Weds/THurs.???
Since I am not able to get out and fish myself anymore due to health, at least I am able to supply him with some decent equipment and enjoy his success. Those trips to the James and Wheeler we went on are paying off for him. Again, cut and live Bluegill.
Awesome! Hopefully have my trailer repaired this weekend. Need to put a transfer case in my 4runner too then Hopefully get out at least one night this weekend.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hopefully you get those things completed and get out. I remember from an earlier post about the trailer problem. He has been fishing free spool with clicker on and letting them run, otherwise they are dropping as soon as they feel the rod.

761 - 780 of 811 Posts