The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

741 - 760 of 810 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think thats 3 50+ cats from the PA portion of the Ohio I've seen on my FB feed this year.
that's good because I'm heading to the ohio this weekend to the new Cumberland pool. Hopefully find a flatty or a blue would be awesome too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Large Golden Shiners are hard to beat...also hard to come by
So I hear. However They are all through a local Big Bass dam. I couldn't believe how many there were we caught maybe 10-15 all nice size too. I'm guessing the biggest was close to 10" and the smallest was around 4-5. I told my buddy if they work then we will go back and catch some more for sure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Was out last night on the Mon.

Took my new, very easy on the eyes, neighbor lady fishin' to try for a nice flathead. Hit a few of my better spots, bite was on pretty good, but just couldnt find a big one. She caught 5 flatheads and two channels. She also lost one or two and missed a couple. I caught one flathead.

Used live big gills and cut mooneyes.

Came close on getting a bit better fish with the only really large bait i had, a 14" sucker that had a good run on but didnt get to and out of rod holder quick enough due to messing with another fish on another rod. Killed the sucker and never had a hit on it dead after that.

All fish were between 24 to maybe 27 inch range.

Despite no 20+ lb fish, which was my goal for the night, she said she had a great time.

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
Was out last night on the Mon.

Took my new, very easy on the eyes, neighbor lady fishin' to try for a nice flathead. Hit a few of my better spots, bite was on pretty good, but just couldnt find a big one. She caught 5 flatheads and two channels. She also lost one or two and missed a couple. I caught one flathead.

Used live big gills and cut mooneyes.

Came close on getting a bit better fish with the only really large bait i had, a 14" sucker that had a good run on but didnt get to and out of rod holder quick enough due to messing with another fish on another rod. Killed the sucker and never had a hit on it dead after that.

All fish were between 24 to maybe 27 inch range.

Despite no 20+ lb fish, which was my goal for the night, she said she had a great time.
A great time is what it is all about!

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
I have a full week and a half off at tge end of August.

If anyone has time off that they will want to hook up and chase flatheads during that time let me know.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have a full week and a half off at tge end of August.

If anyone has time off that they will want to hook up and chase flatheads during that time let me know.
I'll be down at some point. Have another new guy I've been showing the ropes. He'd never fished previously but the bug has bitten him. He's loaded up with gear and ready to roll.

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
I'll be down at some point. Have another new guy I've been showing the ropes. He'd never fished previously but the bug has bitten him. He's loaded up with gear and ready to roll.
The more people we turn to fishing flatgeads the better it will be. Eventually we can get bowfishing for flatheads banned.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anybody have any luck this weekend? All our shiners ending up dieing and some of the blue gill. Ended up with about 5 blue gill ans 3 perch. We are still on the water. We've been on the water since about 9pm friday we'll head home around 4pm. We've caught quite a few channels on worms. A drum, a smallmouth, a rock bass, a sauger, a carp and a turtle. Caught 2 nice channels on raw shrimp and one nice channel on chicken liver. Only used a couple live baits. I think the next time we come out ill try around Harmarville. Where we are on the Ohio looks promising but haven't had any luck yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anybody have any luck this weekend? All our shiners ending up dieing and some of the blue gill. Ended up with about 5 blue gill ans 3 perch. We are still on the water. We've been on the water since about 9pm friday we'll head home around 4pm. We've caught quite a few channels on worms. A drum, a smallmouth, a rock bass, a sauger, a carp and a turtle. Caught 2 nice channels on raw shrimp and one nice channel on chicken liver. Only used a couple live baits. I think the next time we come out ill try around Harmarville. Where we are on the Ohio looks promising but haven't had any luck yet.
I was out for 5 hours on the Ohio yesterday and 5 hours on the Mon this morning, live BGs only NO LUCK AT ALL. I even found a couple 30’ deep pools with absolutely no luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn't make it out...Saturday is looking good for me this week. Probably Mon near Homestead.
I was looking at the steel phantom for a while at the lock this morning. I passed some promising looking creek mouths. I honestly think the water is too hot. It was reading 82 at 0700. I’m going to try to make it out tonight for a few hours To break this dry spell

·
Registered
125 Posts
I imagine near a creek mouth or below a dam would be preferable. I'm off the bank...I haven't made it down as much as I thought this year...going to shoot for at least 4 or 5 Saturdays between now and bow season.

741 - 760 of 810 Posts