Three Rivers 2020 Thread!

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Flathead Tyrant, Jan 22, 2020.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    You may get mixed reviews on that being the best way to load a boat. It is done that way because guys don't want to get there little toes wet. But that power loading is exactly what washed the bottom out at the end of the ramp. If the winch were only meant to snug the boat down on the trailer, you would only need a 3 foot strap and not the 20 foot strap that comes on a winch.

Now I can see both side but you may be mistaken about power loading being the right way to do it.

Those that have dropped their trailer wheels off the bottom of a ramp have had more time to think about it.

Just 2 cents

m-192 and Gotta Catchem like this.
  2. Gotta Catchem

Gotta Catchem Active Member

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Tyler
    that’s a good point. I just never like loading my boat partway then hopping out and risking kicking it back out in the river! Also I don’t like winching the full weight of the boat back on the trailer. Always worried about that strap failing and it snapping back and putting a knot in my head.

When the waters up there’s not much of an issue but when it’s low and the ramp is shallow there are decisions to be made on how to do it.

either way I think it depends on the ramp and water levels, I certainly wouldn’t fault a guy using his motor to get a boat on because he was worried about damaging his trailer by backing down too far

3. Flathead Tyrant

Flathead Tyrant Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    No. Which tells you just how common it is.

I wouldn't have minded, but loosing 50yds of braided line burns me up a bit.

3rivers and Nuclear Bill like this.
  4. m-192

m-192 Active Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Dan
    When I took my boaters safety course there was a section about power loading. Im not saying not to use the motor to push the boat on the trailer but you don't need to floor it. Yeah I backed off the cement. I was never there before. I held the ramp up for what felt like 2hrs. The trailer was stuck on the leafspring mount on the trailer. I have a pontoon so the trailer is not easily moved. I had to use my anchor to hook the trailer and ratchet strap it to the boat to lift it. Then I had to reposition the anchor but It got stuck under the trailer. Then I had to get wet and get the anchor moved. When I was in the water I stepped down off the end of the cement and I couldn't touch bottom. I wasn't about to go the whole way under as I can't really swim that good. I'm not saying that is all from power loading but it certainly doesn't help.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Gotta Catchem likes this.
  5. Gotta Catchem

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Tyler
    That sucks, sorry that happened to you. I've heard of people doing that so i'm paranoid about backing over the end of the ramp when the waters low. i always go down and check it before backing down then stop several times while backing down to make sure my tires aren't going to go over. every ramp is different though, the one i was at at new eagle had a fair amount of rock/mud past the end of the cement and it was okay to back the boat down over. Of course, i only have an 17.5 ft aluminum deep v that's 2200 lbs with the trailer. A pontoon might be a different story. I'm sure you would want to keep that on the cement at all times.

twaskom likes this.
  6. m-192

m-192 Active Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Dan
    Yeah that was a first time for me. I actually thought my rear drums on my truck were sticking. They seem to stick every time I get them wet and lock up. They look OK but idk whats up with them.

Gotta Catchem and 3rivers like this.
  7. Gotta Catchem

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Tyler
    Anyone catching any fish? It’s looking like I’ll have time for another flathead trip next Wednesday.

3rivers likes this.
  8. Flathead Tyrant

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    Was catching when I was out last week, have been at work since then though.

Gotta Catchem and 3rivers like this.
  9. Gotta Catchem

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Tyler
    Got my bait tank all set up. Nothing elaborate. I’m just hoping for it to do the job for this summer then analyze my needs and rebuild if necessary. Will work for now though B74B2374-A223-4746-AD2C-C1A9A6BD5551.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. Gotta Catchem

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Tyler
    Cat Queen is at it again at my cabin. 27” 7 lbs, 26” 8.5 lbs. catching some good size channels! FE3D36ED-994D-4F3C-A36F-2D2DA0CE7FFE.jpeg

11. 3rivers

3rivers Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Gregg
    Nice fat channels

12. m-192

m-192 Active Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Dan
    Heading out after work Thursday staying on the water until probably Friday evening up by ford city/kittanning. Going to take everything. Musky stuff, catfish stuff, carp stuff, bass stuff and a little zebco dock demon for bait if i need it or just to try to catch something small if i need it. Need to set my traps tomorrow and maybe try to catch some bait. My buddy said Walmart did not have any chicken liver. I told him not to worry because I still have a deer liver in the freezer. I will try that and see if it works. Along with 3 trout in the freezer that had swallowed the hooks and died.

Herbhome, 3rivers, timm0610 and 2 others like this.
  13. Gotta Catchem

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Tyler
    Out last night from 7-11 at McKeesport. No fish. One run on a bluegill head and one yanked off a big live gill. 2 rods had live bait and one cut bait the whole time.

Brackish*Water and 3rivers like this.
  14. MonFlatcat

MonFlatcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Beau
    I was out also. Pool 8. Lock wall. One run on big bluegill, ran it right into snag.

15. m-192

m-192 Active Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Dan
    I got a Cast net permit and a cast net the beginning of the week. May give it a shot tonight/tomorrow and see if I can catch some Shad.

16. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    A cast net permit,,,,, never heard of such a thing.

17. MonFlatcat

MonFlatcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Beau
    Several years ago, I actually made the suggestion to the fish and boat commission to legalize castnets via permit for the three rivers, in particular the Mon. They already had a permit system in place for a small number of lakes in the state, mostly for the guys that striper fished there. Other than that, cast nets were illegal. Just recently they added us.

I have a permit and got one last year as well. I have had trouble getting good sized shad. The larger ones are in much smaller schools and spread out alot more than the small shad in the Mon. This far north I dont think alot of them get really big. I had seen dead ones a time or two 12 or 14 inches long. Pretty rare though. Usually tons of 2 to 4 inchers or so most years. Bigger than that and they get harder to get in small nets that dont sink real fast, I could use one with a bit more weight and larger holes.

I have fished with the smaller shad and they are great alive for bass walleye, pretty much everything that'll eat a minnow. Dead they are very very good for channel cats and drum. They compare in no way to the preserved ones you can buy. Ive tried them a few times and never caught a fish on them. There is generally no problem at all catching fish on the fresh ones.

I would use them a ton more if I chased channels, drum etc. instead of being addicted to flatheads. If I could get big ones I'd cast for them much more often than i do also.

18. m-192

m-192 Active Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Dan
    My buddy and i went out Thursday night fished solid...solid until 9pm last night. Caught probably 15 channel cats nothing big maybe 16" was the biggest. He caught a tiny flathead a carp and a drum? Was a good time ended up burning almost 18gal of gas. Was worried I was going to run out and have to use my trolling motor to get us back.

Attached Files:

19. 3rivers

3rivers Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Gregg
    Nice! Look like a good time. I pressure washed my house and painted foundation all weekend:unhappy:

20. Flathead Tyrant

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    I have been messing around at Lake Arther a lot lately on my kayak.

Channel cat bite is slow in the areas I have been hitting, only managed two with only one over 20in.

Caught a lot of bullhead and lmb though.

Just a simply wacky rigged senko is all you really need for those lmb.

3rivers likes this.