Three little ones on the Muskingum River

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BG CAT, Aug 9, 2008.

1. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    Boy what a difference a week can make flathead fishing; last Friday night caught 15 catfish (10 flatheads and 5 channels) and only got three this week (2 flathead and 1 channel) in the same stretch of the Muskingum River and using the same bait??? The area was quite a bit different though, last week moving thunderstorms and on an off rain, this week perfect weather. Last week minimal boat traffic, this week Indy 500. Last week really warm all night, this week really cool.

Just wanted to get some opinions on what you all think on what can cause the fish to shut down that quickly?? Is it boat traffic, weather, or what????

Attached Files:

2. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    Both of these fish were 12 lbs each.

Attached Files:

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Bryan ... It would be my opinion that the weather would be the cause of it the most. I was out fishing most of the day on Friday and an found that the higher barometer had the fish suspended. This really affects catfish more than some other fish since we usually fish on or near the bottom for them. Last weekend when we were having the rains we were under a low pressure system. This usually will cause the fish to go to or near the bottom or in a deep body of water, go deeper. Over a number of years of careful charting of things affecting the catching of fish ... I found that a fast rising or a high barometer caused the fish not to bite or at least to be very erratic..... Garry-

4. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    Thanks Garry. Thought I would get more input on this subject???

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I think it was the bright full moon we had. I usually don't do as good on bright nights like last night and last night was no exception. We got 5 small channels and no flats. First time time in 8 weeks a flathead wasn't landed in my boat.

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio

I think the fishing is slow everywhere man! Ive fished the musk. a few times this year and only small ones. Alum creek has been dead and so has wills creek. Not sure what the deal is. But boy its been getting chilly at night i cant even catch a decent channel anywhere!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Could be the moon phases that shut them down, I am sure the increased fishing pressure had somthing to do with it