Three Days On The Delta

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jan 16, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Friday night around 9pm, Ray picked me up in his RV, aka THE FISHING MACHINE, and we headed up to Quail Lake to try and get an early start on the fishing. When we got there we found the water level very low and inaccessible to a couple of Weebles like us, so we sat out side under the stars and watched the shooting stars while shooting the bull until the cold drove us inside the RV. It was so cold there the propane heater wasn't vaporizing the gas properly.
    Saturday morning we took off for Fresno to pick up Robb with a quick stop on the way at Bobs Bait Bucket in Bakersfield for a few odds and ends. If your in the area stop there if you haven't before, he has a lot of tackle and the local knowledge of whats going on. He also posts the latest local fish reports on his outside bulletin board. Mention the BOC. Maybe we can get a new sponsor.
    Back on the road for the run into Fresno and picked up Robb and his gear and off to the Mendota Wildlife Refuge for a little catfishing. It's still cold out.
    I want to say here that something should be done about the trash in the Mendota Refuge. This looks to be a very high potential fishing spot, but if the users there do not start cleaning up after themselves I can see a future with no access to that area. The condition is shameful.
    Anyway, we wetted our lines with a variety of baits, With Robb giving a demonstration as to his preferred method of using Danny Kings Punch Bait.
    After a couple of hours with no bites we decided to head on up to the Delta. Seems to be getting colder.
    To be continued.........

Attached Files:

2. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    On the drive from Mendota to I 5 we stopped at the California Aqua Duct for a brief try to see if anybody was home, but despite our best offerings, no takers. IMG_1099.jpg
    Driving across the valley I kept seeing ice on all the fields where the sprinklers had been running.
    We came into the delta proper on I 5 from the south thru Mossdale and up to Hwy 12 and stopped at what I think was the joining of the S. Mokelumne river and the San Joaquin river to fish for a while. Despite our best efforts we got no bites but I think a crawdad ate part of my anchovy. IMG_1102.jpg It was getting extremely cold so we went to The Brandon Island State Recreation Area to camp for the night. Too cold to go out and fish.(I don't believe I just said that!)
    In the morning we went out and soaked bait by the entrance to the boat harbor. Nothing happened. IMG_1140.jpg
    To be continued.....

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Next stop was the swim area on Sevenmile Slough to try again. Nice beach and easy access but no fish this time. IMG_1120.jpg
    Yes, that thing you see in the background is a ship on the San Joaquin river heading into the Port of Stockton. IMG_1119.jpg
    We also tried fishing from the pier with no result. IMG_1122.jpg
    to be continued....

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Darn where were all the fish at frozen to the bottom or something :angry:

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    They are waitimng for us in March:wink:

6. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    They had better be ready cause i'm RIPPIN LIPS in march :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Unfortunately out at the slough people don't know how to use the 55 gallon drums that are or used to be all over for trash, theres always been alot of dumping out there too and it sucks hate seeing that.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tom,
    Thanks for sharing thoes photos - now for some reason - I have to go and play with my fishing gear.
    :0a28:

You guys may not have got any fish & it may have been cold out there - but I still wish I was out there with you guys. :wink:
    :0a23:

"Is it Gathering time yet"?

Because

"I'm Ready"! :go:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Next it was across the Sacto to Rio Vista and another stop at a bait shop for local knowledge and we added frozen shad to our already formidable array of bait. A short drive up Hwy 84 to just below the ferry on Cache Slough we found a nice access to the water with a sandy beach and good wind break, still very cool but nice in the sun. No fish though. IMG_1130.jpg
    Back we went down river to the Sacramento proper on 160 to fish Rays secret deep water hole. Here I did manage to catch the bottom and lose a couple of set ups. Didn't get any bites here either. IMG_1133.jpg
    Next we went back up and out Hwy 12 to Sycamore Slough to give it a go. After fishing there with nothing happening but the wind we packed it back to Brandon Isl. St. Rec. area for the night. There we had a great meal prepared by master field BBQ chef Bay Runner Ray. IMG_1138.jpg We also fished from the boat dock until the cold became intolerable and called it a night. still no biters.
    To be continued.......

10. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Monday morning dawned clear and COLD. We headed South on Hwy 160 and across the Sacramento River IMG_1145.jpg to Hwy 4 to try our luck around Tracy with stops at Union Point and the Middle River where Tracy Blvd crosses. IMG_1147.jpg good looking water but nothing happening.
    Down the road we came to The Grant Line Canal and stopped for another go round with the same old thing, nada. IMG_1151.jpg
    To be continued.......

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca

Now Tom - That's what I would call a - "Road Trip"! :wink:

All of those spots that you took photos of - look like (at one time or another) - could have been "The Spot"!

But you know - right now any spot would look like "The Spot"! Maybe it's because I'm just ready to get out there.

(I know-I know: :embarrassed_2: What can I say?) (I just got to get that first Fish of 2007)

Take it easy,

Bert & Phil

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    We made one more stop while in the Delta area at Paradise Cut for a try and guess what?.....Nothing doing. View attachment 20287
    So we jumped on the five heading south.
    Down the road we decided to stop at San Luis Reservoir and fish the O'Neal Forebay, well known to produce nice stripers, but not for us. View attachment 20288 We did however encounter a herd of deer in the park that were totally fearless. View attachment 20289
    It was getting on in the day by this time so we headed back to Fresno and dropped Robb at his home. After the good byes we jumped back on the 99 and drove back to L.A. Ray dropped me off about 9pm and left for home.
    All in all a very good sight seeing trip with good company and opportunity to catch a fish even if that didn't pan out.
    I am definitely looking forward even more to the Delta Lover gathering in March when I'll get to meet more BOC members and fish with them.

P.S. I wonder if I should have warned Ray and Robb about that skunk that's been following me around? He seem to like whoever is with me also.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Cool photos. Looks like a great area to go to.

Bert I am waiting on my first fish of 07 as well. May be sometime in Feb or even March for me unless I get lucky enough to go soon.

14. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks for kudos on my photos guys. I love to share my experiences and I also hope to whip up a little fishing fever if I can. I just wish we could post more photos with the narratives I would have liked to shown the photos of the bridges and much more of the rivers and sloughs. I guess folks are just going to have to sign up for the Delta Lover House boat Gathering if they want to see more.

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey B.H.,
    It may be that long for me as well -"What I'm I saying" I better be going out there before then. All that I know is that I wouldn't want to be that first fish of 2007. LoL:happy:

Take it easy,

Bert & Phil

16. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Well, it sounds like a good time to me regardless of the fish. I have fished nearly every spot you mentioned many times! I never catch much this time of year, but all good spots in the spring and summer. Man I can't wait!
    Linz

17. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    Awesome report and pictures. Fish come and go but those good times will be what you remember.

18. gillfish

gillfish New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the journey.

19. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Went out to the RV to see what it smelled like tonight because my wife said that it smelled some before I took two BOC boys fishing for three days. I didn't smell anything different than normal "stink bait" smell. Seems I did leave the bait in my cat bag.... Thats what she smelled.

I took the cat bag into the house, and showed her the bag of bait that was the cause of the oder. She asked. Did you wash your hands? And of corse I said yes. But as I look back to this adventure of a week end that we all had..... I didnt really wash the hands till I was in the tub scrubbing and all later after we were back from the trip....

Maybe that is why the sandwiches that Robb made tasted so good. He had been using some not so good stink bait.

With time, you learn to hold the bait with the left hand only, as you hook it, and this leaves your right hand clean for holding sandwiches and potato chip and such.

bayrunner ray

20. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.

I thought that BBQ had a little different flavor:lol: