Three catfishing baits to try

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by pk_powell, Jun 1, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been unsucessful in catching any fish for the last two years. It's been very frustrating to me. I don't own a boat so I am confined to shore fishing.There has been times that our main server has been down and I am unable to get on the BOC due to that.So when this occurs I scan the channels so to speak on the computer. I came up with 3 different baits that I had never heard of. One I was told about by a fellow BOC Brother the other two I just happened upon so I sent for em.Another BOC Brother advised that one should go fishing well prepared with different baits as one never knows what they will want to eat! So this is what I have purchased thru the mail.
    1 HawgBait from Illinois

2Ol' Whiskerhead stinking Chicken livers and stinking Gizzards

3 Junnie's Cattracker Dip Bait

I and my family went shore fishing on the Missouri last night,we taken as our bait nightcrawlers and rank shrimp absolutely not even a twitch! So what do ya all think of these baits. Should I just give up fishing the Missouri since I don't own a boat and go to the smaller rivers? I use to be able to catch at least some fryers I tellya I don't know what the deal is! We have been having lots of rain and once again they have just issued a flood warning 60% chance of rain tonight so I don't know if the water is too muddy or what the deal is. I'd just like to be able to catch some fish again and of course my dream is to tangle with the Beast and change my Avatar and have one of me holding the beast!! That would be a grand day!!:big_smile:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pat I can tell you about the Hawg bait. I have a friend that has use this bait for years. He used it when the origional owner made it in his garage. He would order it by the 5-gal bucket each year. He swears by it. I have used cut bait on the same body of water on the same day as he used Hawg Bait. He had more keeper fish. Mine was larger. I would give it a try Pat.:lol:

3. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I have not tried any of these but have heard of Junnies. I've heard good reports on Junnies Sewer bait. I mainly use Danny Kings when I use stinkbait and have great luck with it on eater size cats but have also had good luck using Doc's Dip bait. Good luck on the baits.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have used Junnies before an dhad som epretty goods bite with it.Junnies sells so many different stink baits it's hard to chose which one to use.It's a pretty good bait. Like I told you before i'm still partial to Premos by Magic Bait. have had better luck with it than any of them. Seems to stay on better also. Don't know you may be better off fishing other places at least till the river deciedes to get back to. normal and stay there. Hang in there your day will come!

5. katfishbangin

katfishbangin New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what ever or which ever bait you use , just keep on casting and blasting. You just in a rut, switch em back and fourth, just dont quit. The time is coming. but i never heard of junnies or the other, im definently going to get some cause i need me some luck.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The ol'whiskerhead can be found at ol'whiskerhead.com. The man's name is Zane Mitchell and they swear by it. I guess it's suppose to stink something awful. I liked the price got a 16 oz jar for $12.00 says you just stick your treble hook down into and pull it out! I reckoned there was no harm in trying. I tell ya what this is gross and disgusting but I'm not above mixing my BlueHeeler's Poop with Wheaties and making a dough ball out of it and see if the fish will hit that! I want to catch some fish. This thing of going fishing time after time and never catching even a nibble has went way past being old. I want some action!!:roll_eyes:

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know Pat but you just might be on to something with the dog:eek:oooh: Might have a market there if it worked.:lol: Guess you could always use dynamite at least you might get some fish and some TIME away from home:roll_eyes: J K.

8. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pat, I dont know if ive tried any of those baits, Ive tried alot of stink baits in the past, but Im here to tell you nothing Ive ever tried has come close to working as well as Sonnys stink bait. I know several guys here in Ill. that wont fish with anything else. We can get it at walmart here in Il or at a bait shop. Ive never really caught anything too big on it, but if youre just after eaters I think its your best bet. ( Thats just my opinion :big_smile:) Give it a try if you have a chance and let me know how it works out for ya. I dont think youll be dissapointed! Good luck and hang in there, and dont go playin with your dogs poo just yet! hehe

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know Sonny's works I have used it. Trouble is it quit on me!! Now isn't that a heck of a note?:crazy:

10. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry to post a thread with a bait youve already tried, Pat. I definately would keep trying, dont give up yet. Weve had alot of rain here too, makes it hard to get out and fish. You may want to try deep and shallow to try and find them. Maybe a new spot wouldnt hurt either. Im not sure that theres many fish too be had at that spot at the moment if sonnys isnt working.:confused2: I dont know what else to advise you since I dont know the area but I hate hearing that youre not having any luck. I wish I could be more help. Good luck to you Pat, let us know when you start cathing em again.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm guessing that your problem with not catching any fish has more to do with your location than what bait you are useing. Also, the river being at flood stage makes it difficult to get your bait to where the fish are congregating. Keep at it Pat! You will find 'em eventually.

12. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm gonna let the Missouri rest for awhile! The other night my husband and I kept getting a bunch of seagrass or whatever you call the stuff every time we reeled in. I've got smaller rivers close to me that I can fish and I believe that's what I will do! My husband asked me last night how I felt about goin to the lake and catchin some gills and then goin to the river I said "Sounds like a plan" Got to catch some fish folks this is rediculous!:amazed:

13. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Pat
    You got to hang in there tough. I know in my heart you love fishing from your posts I have read. I can’t think of many things that bring me more happiness than fishing. I believe as advised it is time to try some other spots as well as new methods, just don't quit on those methods that have worked for you in the past. I think you have been given very good advice in this thread, and would add it never hurt to ask for local advise. I have found fishermen are pretty happy to help out fellow anglers to the best of their ability. Luck now

14. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have ni intentions of quitting! Fishing is in my blood! I'm just gonna try some different places somewhere there has to be a honey hole! I believe if I had a boat I could possibly get to some places that at present are inassessible to me but you need not worry quitting never entered my mind!-----------Sister Pat:smile2:

15. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Pat, sorry to hear that the fish aren't cooperating. I'd try fishing feeder creeks that flow into the Missouri if you can get access. I'm all about trying new baits but I always bring fresh chicken livers because that's what has worked best for me. I haven't had much luck with the prepared baits from the store but I haven't tried the ones that you mentioned. I don't know if it's legal, but those gills make excellent bait live or cut. I wasn't sure if that's why you were fishing for them or if it was just to have something tugging at the other end of the line.:wink: Don't give up, there's a monster out there just waiting for the chance to get it's picture taken with you.

16. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I'm with the other that say change your location. It could be the rain, but it also could be that the river as changed the topography of your usual spot too. Try a few other if you can. And I swear by Sonny's stink bait. Iv'e known Sonny Hootman for years, and I'll outfish anybody using anything but Sonny's.

17. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    The only thing I can say is if I was fishing in that kind of current I wouldn't be using prepared baits and even cut bait would probably leach out fairly quickly in this cool flood water.

On my first pole I would rig mainly live bait (Chubs or Gills) scale a small section one side of the tail up to the belly and put little slices in the scaled section.

On the other rod I would probably use Gizzard Shad gut.

You also need to find breaks in the current to find the fish.

18. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    well when i get in a situatiion like that where they arent biting in my hole, i go to another river or lake or pond for awhile an try my luck. u are at the point u are tryin to hard and gettin discouraged and its takin a toll on u. so try another spot for a bit and then go back where u were and see whats happens.

19. large1

large1 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    well, Pat,It has always served me well to watch the rive r stages. It seems as though the bite much better on a falling river and all but totally shut down on the rise.Maybe thats your problem.Stay mad at them.

20. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    mother nature has the best best by far but i also use cream style corn for some great channel fishin