Threadfin or gizzard for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, Sep 23, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    cmon which one makes better bait??? i just thought about this, and personally i dont think it matters but i wanna hear yalls opinions!

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Both threadfin and gizzard shad are great bait, but if I had to choose I would say gizzard shad just because they are usually bigger than threadfins. I prefer gizzards because I'm usually using big baits and going after big fish.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with bumper, gizzard are bigger and can make for one decent piece of bait or a few good chunks.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Also, IMO, gizzards hold up a bit better---take a little longer before they start rotting to bad to use for bait.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I prefer the Threadfins if I'm after numbers of fish, and or trying to find the fish. If I'm out for Big Fish (most of the time) then I'll use the large Gizzard Shads if thats all I have. I prefer skipjacks and asians to the Shad though.

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gizzards also seem to stay on the hook better they have some bones. I like to run a circle right through their eyes

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas

yeah ive heard those are better baits but i dont think we have either down here

8. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Both type shad are good to use. I prefer gizzard heads. Seem I do better on them,

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The smaller ones I run the hook completely through the eyes, leaving the line through them, then hook the shad in the tail. But I don't like to use those little bitty ones unless they've been caught within the last couple or three hours and kept on ice. Seems like their gut pocket rots out in about 15 minutes off the ice.

10. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I like a nice fresh gizzard fillet. If you are using frozen bait, skipjack is the way to go.