thoughts on your year gone past.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    It has been a year since I joined the BOC, how time has flown . I just finished off a big pan of cats ,yes I do eat some of what I catch, and got to thinking of the past season. Last year at this time I would have still been bowhunting crazy holding on to that last tag till the last moment, to avoid the long dry spell till April.In 2007 I probably boated maybe a hundred fish and seldom left the Scioto, hardly went to a lake because they were just bad news for me. Would have kept about every fish I caught at a lake,not so much at the river because its so dirty, of course the lake fish would not have amounted to many.The Ohio would have seemed a thousand miles away and any lake not in spitting distance was too far. I might have gone on fifteen trips all year.
    All things changed in January of last year, I read that cats can and are caught through the winter, changed me forever. I still never made it out till March, and never caught a fish even then. In April I went three times and caught maybe twenty, most small ones fishing at the Scioto. May ,work tied me down for most of the month. June marked a change in my habits that I never recovered from till, well never. Got a small trihull and started hitting the lakes to try something new. Now I had heard of drifting, but not for cats, but the BOC library and brothers spelled out the hows and I vowed to make it work. It didn't work in June but we managed to catch a few fish anchoring on old stumps rocks and other cover.July was more of the same but we got better at drifting and boated a couple but the biggest part of our fish were caught anchored down . August altered my life, we fished two or three days a week,we caught twenty or thirty fish a day drifting the lakes. It became hard to do any daily function without some thought of fishing. We studied the BOC sites like there was a test at the end. Hobby turned obsession, we became ate up. Our wives threated us with bodily harm if we didn't get out of the boat. So I bought a bigger boat, just in case we had to move on board. To appease the wives we developed Catfish Wednesday, of course I have a calender that says Sunday, Wednesday ,Wednesday, Wednesday ,Wednesday, you get the picture, but we cut our fishing down to two days a week. The info on this site kept pushing us to bigger fish and higher numbers. One hundred fish last year and here I was catching a hundred a month, I really don't expect most of you to believe this we could hardly believe it ourselves. Then we went to the big river and were humbled. All those huge fish everyone talks about and we caught six little channels, the drift didn't work for us at Point Pleasant. We came back home and continued to slaughter fish drifting. Then we went to the Buckeye Lake tourny,and were humbled again when we found that we couldn't drift in high winds. The BOC library taught us about drift socks and buckets and how to slow a boat down, it also told us that fishing just one stlye would not always work. The fall brought in bow season and I was able to resist its pull for a couple weeks before succombing .For the first time in a long time I was in a hurry to get deer in the freezer, because I had other things to do. I had a sport to master and I couldn't do it from a treestand. We kept hitting the lakes and the Ohio some more,we caught fish right past Thanksgiving and right up till Christmas. Now we set back and reflect on the past and study the posts to prepare for the future, Knowing for us at least there is going to be no downtime till April. Come spring we will still be fishing only difference is we will have some new techniques and a backup plan, maybe slip bobbers or planers, who knows. The one thing I do know for sure is all this new found joy I owe to you guys and gals on the BOC, and I thank you. If I knew how to give reps to all of you I would surely do so.

2. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some of the thanks go to your posts also, good luck in the coming year, hope to see you on the water

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    thats a very good post OHJ

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I myself have only been a member since August. I didnt fish for quite a few years because of my Ex, I was afraid to leave the house if ya know what I mean. Then I met The the girl of my dreams. She lets me fish she catches me bait, shes given me twin boys! Alot has changed for me this year, Ive gotten back into the sport that I have loved since I was a little boy. I caught alot of good Channels this year, many over 10 lbs. I started fishin for flats late in the year with no sucess but learned so much in all them skunkings I recieved. Ive met so many good people here on the BOC and fished with alot of good knowledgable catmen! Ive enjoyed every trip! I cant wait till the coming spring till I can hit the water with these guys again and cant wait to get into them Flats when the water starts warming up!

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have to say "RIGHT ON!"
    The B.O.C. does tend to be a little life changing...:wink:...I have met some real awsome folks on here in my short time here and ...Oh Yeah....................
    This last yr has been totaley crazy ...it went fast and furrious cause the flooding but it was a very great yr. I caught several larger fish and filled my freezor....I owe some of it to this site and spending countless hours reading what everyone has to say etc. I think my fishing skills are progressing positively and we will test this theorey this summer:roll_eyes:Win loose or draw though I am having the time of my life with ya's and its been realy fun.:cool2:

6. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ha, my year was pretty slow, at least the first half of it anyway, all until I got word from a buddy I hadn't seen in a long while and we found out each other was into fishing, after that, I don't remember being off the water for more than a week. I met a few good people through him, and did more fishing and caught more bait than I had done in a long time, and I had fun every step of the way. Learned a lot about flathead fishing, and got hang out with a few good friends, all in all, I just can't wait to see what next year brings.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i have been a memer since i believe march or april.i have learned quuite a bit from this site,and also gained a lot of friends.just happy to be a part of something this big.

hopefully most of us can meet again at a gathering this year also.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    THE B.O.C has made me a better fisherman, and i have talked to a lot of nice people on here.

It also gives me the drive to fish more, beacuse of all the reports and big fis pictures.

This may sound selfish, but when i catch a big flat i cant wait to get home to post the pic and share my adventure with everyone.

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yea Richard we should have a gathering real close to us, say maybe Jack could invite us to his flathead hole and we could have a big fish fry.:smile2: Just kiddin Jack

10. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've had trouble with my wife about me wanting to fish so much. Back in April after I won a tourney, she started to let me fish more especially after
    I losted my job in Oct. It helped me to keep busy while I also tried to find work. I hate fishing the Ohio, but I've gone there so many times this year with gas jumping up & again no work. The 10 mile drive is better than 56
    or 1 1/4hrs.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This year has been a change for me. I didn't get to fish as much as I usually do, and soaring gas prices kept my trips close to home also. However, it made what trips I made seem more important! Hopefully next year I will be able to chase them flatheads around on the lakes, and rivers more..:crazy: OOPS, forgot...lol....my wife is going to deliver our second child in the spring!!!:wink: Well, I guess I will just enjoy going whenever I get time, and watch all of you brothers have a succesful 2009 season! Goodluck to all of you, and maybe I will see a few of you on the water somewhere!!:smile2: rollo

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I didn' get to fish quite as much as i would nave liked due to working out of state. But i did manage to catch a few flats over 20 lbs and my pb of 40 lbs so the year wasn't a complete disappointment! Now i'm just waiting for spring to come and hopefully get out more than i did this past year!

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Since I have joined the boc I have become a better fisherman overall and realize how much family is on here. I also come to appreciate the great miami as a valuable resource around dayton ohio good people good friend good place rick

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Being off work the last half of the year I have fished more than I had in years. Finding the BOC has helped me keep my sanity through the trying times of a back injury. Would like to thank everyone for being such a great group of people and friends. I hope in the coming year to get to meet and fish with more of my new found brothers on here.

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i didnt get to fish as much as i wouldve liked to working 6 days a week with a full weekend maybe every 2-3 months but what fishing i got to do i caught fish on just about every trip with the biggest of 25.2 lbs .i did get to go to a gathering at dillon lake and had a good time fished with netman jack and met alot of great guys and also went to a brunch at golden coral talked to several of the guys there hopefully i can get to fish with some of you guys this year GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS YEAR AND HOPE YA CATCH SOME BIGGUNS

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i joined the club in june, but didn't get any time ta hit the water until sept. i've fished a certin spot for 20 years and always used chicken liver and always caught nice channels, well that first nite i used sunnies and gills in sept changed everything, first nite i caught a 23#'er and several smaller flattys, after that i had the fever, i fished more in those 2 months then i did all year, i've learned alot about feeding habits of flattys and the proper equipment needed, i've learned more in the past couple months than i have in years from the boc. thanks again, can't wait til spring:wink:

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    roger is gonna be doing alot off netting this year, and not shad,.