Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Thoughts on the shoulder shot

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  hct236 
#1 ·
Just wondering if any of you use the shoulder shot. Personally, I have used it a few times when hunting very thick areas and didn't want to risk the deer getting into the laurel thickets. If you have a good bullet it will break both shoulders and drop them in their tracks but also tears up a lot of meat. Whats your thoughts?? Personally, unless it's dangerous game or there is a reason you need it not to run, I don't see much need for it . A good double lung shot animal will normally not travel over 100 yards anyway.

#5 ·
The shoulder shot is almost always an anchor shot and I prefer to shoot larger deer this way, it may waste some meat but overall I would say it is better than wasting all the meat.

I hunt a lot of swampy areas where blood trails are extremely hard to follow.

I guess it almost always depends on the situation.

#6 ·
The shoulder shot is almost always an anchor shot and I prefer to shoot larger deer this way, it may waste some meat but overall I would say it is better than wasting all the meat.

I hunt a lot of swampy areas where blood trails are extremely hard to follow.

I guess it almost always depends on the situation.
True...The situation dictates what shot is needed. I have used it to keep them out of thickets, or crossing onto land I can't hunt.

#8 ·
Heart and lungs is a great shot. There are times when trailing one is not feasible for me. Thick cover, creeks, high grass, rain, darkness, steep mountainsides, etc. I have shot deer with small and large calibers and have had several run a long way, especially when they were chasing a doe. Had an eight pointer run off with the doe and then run back by me following the doe and I had to shoot him again before they made it into the briars. Shot an eleven pointer in the heart and he trotted off with the doe and stopped with her and stared like I missed him and I shot again. I like to shoot big deer in the shoulders. Make sure you use a decent sized caliber to achieve penetration of both shoulders. It's hard to run when your front wheels have been knocked out from underneath you!

#9 ·
I quit busting bones a long time ago , Heart or Lungs for me now days, low lung or heart on a big mulie with a 243 will drop it like its been poleaxed. no need to break a shoulder and waste meat IMO.

Reactions: bluejay
#11 ·
I don't know that I've had any big game animals give me too many options.. and, have for years used a caliber/bullet capable of a diagonal raking shot on animals such as Elk.

If I get a heart/lung shot,, OK,, If I have to shoot them through the right rear leg and reach up into the heart lung, OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.