Thoughts on surfacing fish......

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TN Greg, Sep 2, 2008.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I failed to mention on Monday's trip report that in the spot where we had the 6 fish on at once, there was a ton of fish surfacing. I'm not talking about the typical carp jumps, I'm talking about dropping in a kitchen sink explosion.

I have no idea what they were, but it certainly seemed like fish busting bait. If I were on any other body of water where there were hybrids, stripers or even mega smallmouth -- I would have said for certain that's what I was seeing.

I kind of wish I had a redfin or zara spook rigged up to give it a go. It was ridiculous. I even went so far as to freeline a goldeye for 5 minutes.

Any thoughts as to what this may have been?

2. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    I have heard that before in spots. I think most of the time it is spoonbill rolling at night. They can make a heck of a noise.

3. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If your quick enough shoot them with a bow and you will find out they are asians rolling to the top. I have noticed at the beginning of the summer you don't see them rolling like that. You just see them piping or cruising the surface. Put some pressure and boat traffic on them and that is what they start doing.

4. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I'm almost certain it wasn't the Asian carp as we didn't jump a single one in that spot -- both coming and going. In addition, we were in straight line current.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    When Swamp and I were downtown this weeked, one of the spots we anchored up on, there were alot of asian carp coming to the surface. I saw several jumping and just rolling, and yes, it was in straight line current. On the other hand, I was out last night by myself, and I was fishing a shallow flat, and I heard fish roll up in the super shallow water several times. Dunno what they were, but all the fish I caught were in probably 2 or 3 ft of water. Then again, when I was down at the Osage this year, you can hear the spoonbill slapping the top of the water all night too. So who knows. It very well could have been catfish with all the mooneye that's up there right now.:wink:

6. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Grump,
    How did you do last night?

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I ended up with a few rats. The biggest was a 9lb channel. I spent some time on the lowrance,and found a few good spots with alot of fish on 'em, but I guess they didn't want shad last night. It awful hard to cut up asian carp without a knife! I forgot that I had given them to you to get sharpened! LMAO:smile2: As tough as them things are, I don't think a sharp rock would even do the trick!! Just like the other night, I had shad in short order, so I just used them whole. :wink:

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Interesting takes. It probably is the asian carp since that's the one thing I initially dismissed. This is based on the fact that I'm usually wrong about such things.

9. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I believe if you were fishing around big bait balls around lights or shallow water close to the bank that they could of been cats. I have seen it a few times this year. I have definately confirmed one cat breaking the surface on bait because he was right at the back of the boat and I got a real good look at him. We also have some pretty big hybrids in our waters. We had some fish breaking all around us the other night in 30' of water around some lights and they were big fish.

10. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Hybrids??? Do tell. I'm surprised we haven't caught one yet as they readily go for the cut bait in other waters.

Confirmation of a busting blue cat has gotten my attention. That's it, I'm freelining goldeye until I catch one on top.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

I'm with Ryan on this, he and I have seen quite a few cats breaking the surface of the water this year and without either one of there to see it first hand, a person just wouldn't believe ya. Another thing, Stitch and I were fishing near one of the grain barges while they were filling it with corn, there was corn all over floating on or near the surface with ALOT of fish swimming around the surface eating the corn, several of the fish were close to the boat and I saw that they were cats! During the last tournament, the cats that I had in the livewell puked up a bunch of corn!

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I haven't caught a wiper on rod and reel in the river but I have had them up to 8 lbs in my cast net. I watched a guy catch one in his throw net that was every bit of 15 lbs.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I caught one down here two years ago in the cast net that was every bit of 15 lbs. That's the biggest one I've seen here to date.

14. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO

Bill speaks the truth, those two nights were catfish with no question. We were in pretty shallow water and those fish were going nuts around sun up.

15. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Did they look like this?

Attached Files:

16. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Blue cats will form a wolf pack at times and chase down schools of Shad or Skipjack.If you're ever lucky enough to be around when it happens again,cast a rig with a big piece of cut bait right in the middle of the action.The big cats stay down and gorge themselves on the slaughter,while the others do the work.The bait fluttering down natuarlly,with no weight,should get a massive strike.Give it a try.

17. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois

I have an Idea what they might have been. I have seen catfish make the surface of river look like it was boiling, Its no different than chumming a lake or pond with dog food wait a few minutes then all hell breaks lose. the same thing happens on the river. gploce you didn't mention what type of structure you where fishing, have you ever watched how Flatheads feed? they tend to feed a lot like a sail fish but by themselves they will school bait fish together then just gorge themselves, but most of the time they use some type of structure to help trap there bait like sandbar,rip rap, the side of a barge,etc,etc. When i used to fish for Flatheads i used to drift down small rivers and wait for such an explosion then i would troll motor over to where the action was taking place and throw live bait at em, some times it worked some times it didn't. I have caught a lot of nice flatties by using this method, when flatties or feeding heavy the action can be fast and very explosive. I don't know if this is what you were hearing or not but I wouldn't rule it out either!!!

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I was sitting below alton damm 1 day and the blues were surfacing everywhere you could see them perfect.Some of them were swimming just under the surface and you could see thier dorsal fin sticking up.Like Jason said Flatheads do bust the surface alot I have see it even in the missouri river.And as a note that first tournament of the year that I won there was big cats busting the surface all around us.