Thoughts on Local limb lines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salmonid, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am curious what folks think about the stream population effects of Local Limb Lines, Im talking about the non-sportsman version of limb lining here and dont want to offend anyone but I have a semi local stream (1.5 hrs away) that I learned how to fish on and have tried to go back and fish it for smallies and catfish and have seen miles of this stream practically void of ANY fish from hundreds of limb lines I might add that my wading attempts almost got me drowned there one time when I snagged a trot line in a waist deep hole on my boot laces and couldnt get it unsnagged while hopping on 1 foot. It was a serious issue, trust me:crying:

I have wade fished and floated several straight miles of this small stream which is completely in the sticks so the local meat hunter population is high and obviously unregulated and there are lines in every hole on every limb. its a real shame because it is one of the better streams in Southern Ohio noted for Flatheads ( Ohio Brush Creek for those curious)

Just curious if the fishing is really effected by these lines in your local stream?

Salmonid

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats a really good point as when I found these lines, they were always empty, no bait and no fish, so I figure there just sitting there until he wants to bait them up. Same with many trot lines I have found, they are always empty just sitting there waiting to be baited, never have name tags on any of them either, this is "Deliverance Country" so calling the local Game Officer would only result in talking about his brothers cousins uncle or something like that ;)
    Perhaps if they were taken down when done would not appear that there were so many of them. Good point.

Salmonid

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Well, I don't really want to offend anyone, so I'll just say... I don't like em'

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, in our great state of Ohio, unless they have names and addresses on them, they are illegal, and are nothing more than trash. If they were bothering my fishing experience I would cut them off and dispose of them properly. Be careful tho, if you hear banjo music better not mess with them lol :eek:

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I hear ya loud and clear which is why I just left them as they were and kept on moving. Last thing I want to do is tork off a HillJack.

I didnt realize the poor timing of my post ( RE: Trotlines) so I hope nobody dings me for 20 Negitive Rep Points:eek: :eek:

Salmonid

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Have you contacted the game warden or the district office, both numbers can be found in the Ohio fishing regulations. Have you tried contacting the game warden or do you just figure because it's a rural area that everyone is related and in on the illegal fishing. I'm about as country as they come and I love to run lines, but I do it legally my gear is tagged, I run my lines often(every 2-4 hours) and they are removed when I'm done. You can bet I'll report any illegal activity I see, if we turn our head and pretend we don't see it we become part of the problem. A part of fishing that alot of people enjoy gets a bad name and it's one more thing the anti's can use against all of us sportsmen. I would report it and if nothing gets done by the local game warden then report it to the district office.

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I agree with netmanjack, i would take em and cut them off the limb, or trotline and dispose of them.... I dont feel like the affect the amount of fish that much... its not very easy to catch catfish (of any size) on a limb/trot line.... so thats just my opinion... :)

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i too cut and take untaged lines on our river.

9. ooonnnery

ooonnnery New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma
    I agree, any lines ( trot or limb ) should be tagged and monitored bye the fisherman that installed them. There are alot of old lines in the lake that i fish, I will cut any that is left unattended. I was once drifting in a cove that had alot of trees along the bank, when all of a sudden I was alomost lifted out of my seat by a hook that snagged my left arm. The hook was about 3 and a half feet out of the water. Had to cut the barb off and slide the hook out of my arm. I had to get a a shot because the hook was rusted. Not a pleasant experience to say the least.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guess that's why some state laws say the first few feet of the line must be cotton...so it would rot and take care of the problem itself. I don't think I'd be even a little hesitant about cutting the line. All they can do is shoot at me, and in that game, I get to shoot back. If they think their health or limb line is worth a chunk of lead, it won't bother me to charge them that amount. If they can't be responsible, I'll try to help them get that way.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There is one cover where I fish that has some, but they have been there a while. So long in fact that the line is stained from the water. I cleaned out most of them earlier this winter while catching bait.

Personally, I do not jug, limb line, or use trot lines for fish. I see nothing sporting or exciting about it, but for that matter I don't see anything all that fun about casting 100 times to catch a 1 1/2 pound largemouth. That is just my opinion and the law allows people to fish with jugs, limb lines, and trot lines in many states including mine. Perhaps if I had experienced this type of fishing growing up I would appreciate it more.

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i like to limb line fish, jug line.trot line and rod aand reel fish. i do not violate any game laws while doing it though. if the lines are legal theres not much you can do if the lines are illegal call fish and game. they will take care of the problem i bet. as far as limb lines hurting your fish population i doubt they hurt the population any worse than any number of illegal dump sites you could find in your local water shed. how do you determine if trot lines and limb lines are being attended or not before you cut them is something i would like for someone to explain.its haard work and it cost money to put out limb lines and trot lines and for someone to come along aand cut them because they ddont like them in there fishing hole"public waters" is about as unsportsman like as it gets .

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rex, I don't think any one was suggesting cutting working limb lines, just the ones that were left for days on end, and then only if they were not tagged. I would never interfere with some one in the legal pursuit of their game no matter what it was,and would expect the same.:cool:

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i hope i didnt come off sounding like a jerk in this thread. i was literaly raised on the water in oklahoma and ive seen people leave lines hanging in the trees and people who didnt have a clue leave some mickey mouse wal mart trot line in the water. for the most part there fair weather twice a year fisherman who ddont care about the enviroment or depleting our fisheries resources.if i sounded like a jerk im sorry. all i was trying to say is if you see game violations report them and let the game officials do there job.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your certainly no jerk brother, but you may be a lot of other things, I don't know.lol :p Just kidding! :D
    Speaking for myself, I agree, the proper way to handle this type of offense would be to report it to local wildlife officers, now here comes the big BUT, We only have one warden per county here in Ohio and unless they thought they were going to bust a big poaching ring I don't think they would show much interest. At least they haven't yet or there wouldn't be so many old lines hanging.:rolleyes:

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    This thread really got my curosity aroused for some reason. I e-mailed my State Department of Wildlife and this is their response.

First is my question:

Can normal sportsmen remove limb lines, trotlines and jug lines if they are illegal... meaning there is no name/address on the item, it is apparently abandoned and not being used, or it prevents a hazard such as being out of the water?

he response:

There is a law that prevents people from running lines that does not belong to them. I would not recommend doing it unless they are totally out of the water. It would be hard to explain to a warden otherwise.
    Capt. David Deckard
    Law Enforcement Division
    Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

17. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    slab- in somecases sounding like a jerk isn't a bad thing... and it should be about the preservation of the resources as well as the enjoyment of the sport..

In MD waters there are only two rivers that your allowed to do trots and bushbobs... Im not down there enough to really know if ones are left unattended for days on end but if i see one thats not properly marked... it comes down... if there are fish on it, too bad, they get released back in... I would call DNR but they don't know the regs 1/2 the time so it seems pointless... around my area i haven't seen anyone using either so they've been safe u

18. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I saw the title of this thread and like many of you that has responded, I too have alot of the same views and opinions on the subject. One of the main lakes I fish here in Tennessee is just littered with limb lines that are just hanging. So I did talk to a represenative from the Tennessee Wildlife resources office. I have seen no response from them "not to bash the TWRA because they are great", but I was fed up with seeing them "empty lines just dangling out of the water" and the represenative that was at the ramp when I got back had to hear my frustration. I had reached my limit when I was going down one creek channel and I noticed an out of the water limb line and a large decomposing carp still attached just dandling. I fish for many species of fish using many methods, and yes I do limb line, and trout line, but if you can't be responsible enough to just go back and check your lines, and maintain them, maybe you just shouldn't fish. Sorry for the venting, but it is just a sore subject with me.

19. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When I go on all night fishing trips I always run limb lines, but I check them ever hour or two and when I'm done I make sure to pull them up. It really torks me off to see old lines along the river.

20. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    cut em down.Be cool about it though.You do not want to meet some inbred hillbilly and have him tell you that you got purty lips boy.Ned Beatty in Deliverence,BEWARE OF BANJO TUNES.:evil-big: