Thoughts on CPR

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by whisker maniac, Aug 3, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
  2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've never enjoyed eating big fish because they get tough, fat and have a mud line. Before coming here (BOC) it never crossed my mind about the difference in the amount of fry a big fish has each year compared to the dinks i usually catch. When i was an avid bass fisherman i never kept a black or a smallmouth, but would occassionaly keep a mess of smaller kentuckys.My reasoning was that if i eat a 6 pound black she would make a meal, but never make me a penny in a tourney if i put the knife to her.
    Honestly, it's up to the man that catches the fish to deside what to do,,,unless the man that owns the boat has made it clear that CPR is practiced. If you can't honor these wishes, find another boat.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    CPR is a choice made by the individual not a demand!!
    I do have a 10# rule in my boat but, that is my rule!!!
    I don't want to sound like it is a demand but, I would appreciate it if people would at least consider it (CPR) when they catch the big ones. These are the future of or sport!!!

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think there is something missing here, LOL!!!!

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know I preach grease release a lot ,But truth be told I turn way more fish back than I keep. Just makes no sense to not leave some for the next guy,it might be you that gets the one ya turned loose someday.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here ya go JW!!! Someday if our river goes to crap!!! You can't blame the CPR folks:smile2::wink:...

funny, but alot of truth!!!! rollo

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we were in the situation last night fishing where we wanted to keep a few smaller fish to bring home from the Ohio River to eat if we caught some.. I ended up catching a quality fish around 20 pounds and no other takers! The discussion began on whether that fish was gonna be an eater, being we were fishing a large river, and the fish weren't biting well....I sat back and thought about this for a second... only to grin and say.... go hungry boys, this one is swimming:wink: makes me feel good when i let them go, and i know i can't feel bad for what i have practiced over the years! BTW the pic. is in the ohio talk section... rollo

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Caught the biggest fish I've ever caught Friday night. Don't know what he weighed 'cause I didn't have a scale with me. Got some pix and turned him loose. I probably could have got him to the ramp (only about 10 minutes away), called somebody to meet me with some scales and got a weight on him, but I don't have a livewell in my boat and didn't want to stress him that bad. I like to brag as much (or more if you talk to my wife:smile2:) as the next guy, but I wasn't going to take the chance on killing a nice fish so I could get the weight. :wink: And with that, I'm off the CPR thread - we had a barn-burner going in the MO section awhile back and I'm typed out on CPR:eek:oooh:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88766

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Without listing all the reasons why, I do CPR all large catfish and encourage everyone else to do the same.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I turn 'em ALL loose, large or small, IF they don't swallow the hook resulting in death anyhow. I guess if I ate them, certainly I would keep whatever I wished. If someone fishing with me wants to keep some to eat, fine with me, but I always encourage releasing the larger ones, simply because from what the knowledgeables say, the big ones aren't too good to eat anyhow.
    Bill in SC

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Guess I should have clarified my first post - I CPR anything over 10 or 15 pounds, the one I referred to in my earlier post just happens to be the biggest one I've turned loose so far:wink:

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I doubt anyone ever CPR'd when they first joined this board, me included. I remember the first time I thought I would try it. I had heard all the silly sentimental talk about how it would make me feel an such. I knew it was baloney. But, the day came when I only caught one fish all night and decided, what the hay, I'll turn this one loose so I don't have to clean it. It was about 15 lb's and at the time, one of the biggest I had ever caught. I was alone, as I usually am when catfishing. I eased that thing over the side an said bye bye............Hmmmm, no big tug at my heart, no feelings of goodwill, nothing, just "Oh well, didn't want to clean him anyway". A few weeks later, I caught a 30 something, my largest up to that time. I had already caught a few small ones, enough for a few meals. This time, I decided to release it, not because I didn't want to clean it, not because I wasn't proud of it because I certainly was. I decided to release it simply because it seemed the right thing to do. I eased it into the water and watched it swim away. No pictures, no witnesses no evidence I had ever caught it. As a matter of fact, after 8 years, this is the first time I have ever told anyone about it. I could never explain the rush I felt. Was better than bitin in to a perfect steak, one you can't eat, just want to let it sit in your mouth and savor it for as long as you can. Yep, just like that. I'm not lying, it was addicting. I release all unharmed cat over 10 lb's and most all under, ever since. The best ones are like the first one, no pic's, no witnesses. Nothing to brag about. Nothing to tell anyone about. I wouldn't want it any other way.

My wife keeps asking me why with all these friends I have on the BOC, I still fish alone often. I've never told her, but now you all know.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Its a good thing. I think everyone should learn CPR, who knows...you might save someone's life someday. Ive been certified for over 9 years now and get re-certified each year. You can find some free online courses when doing a search on the internet. :wink::smile2:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cpr all catfish by choice,,,the bigones to pass on the genes, and the small ones to get big.

I have only kept one catfish in my life, it was a 20-lb flathead many years ago...As I was cleaning it I thought to myself this fish will never grow bigger for me to catch agin.

I wont condem people anymore for keeping there catch.

One problem I am seeing more and more of is people keeping large flatheads, not to eat, but to stock there own private, or buddys pond.

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    CPR again. LOL

I believe in game mangerment. I also think fish or whatever , other things effect it. I've never been a trophy hunter but will take one. It depends.
    I'm out for fun and or something for the belly.
    This site didnt teach me to CPR. I've done both all my life. its common sense to me. Course i didnt have thr P part with me all the ime. LOL.
    I Eat some, let some go. I have let eaters go as well as bigger fish. I eat all I can and let the rest go, no waste or taking more than laws allow. Believe me, I aint a problem on all the wild game/fish. I dont eat old fish, the grandpaws. they go home to the old lady. LOL.

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Heres my 2 cents

Here in Ohio there is soooo much mercury I will not eat any big fish and can't see why any fool would, LOL :smile2:

I don't think it would make much of a difference in the Ohio River but for the lakes and small rivers, C n R will help due to the limited proper habitat.

My guess is that there is MORE FLATHEADS NOW in Ohio than there was back in the 1700s!!!!!! This would be due to more proper habitat, the Ohio River and there are lakes now that were not and other rivers that did not have Yellows.

The dams on the Ohio Rivers created alot more river. See the Ohio State maps and the border way out in the Ohio River. This was the low water mark before the dams!!!!! Times 2 for the KY and WV side.

Opinon, More HABITAT and a bit of C n R in the right places.

:tounge_out:

17. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I do CPR 99.9% of the time but if I am fishing a farm pond and getting some nice pan sized ones I may keep a few for a meal or two. The biggest I have caught was in the Ohio River and I hope CPR from others still has him stalking the depths for prey... As I have said before (CPR or Not) I think BOC members are responsible anglers and will not abuse the sport we all love so much! I feel that each CPR I do may assure myself or maybe one of you guys or gals the catch of a lifetime someday...

18. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It's fairly simple to me. The smaller fish are better eating (debatable I know) and the bigger fish are better fighting! There is usually plenty of the smaller fish but never enough of the big ones.
    So I just keep some of the smaller ones to eat and CPR the big ones.
    :wink:

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I doubt anyone ever CPR'd when they first joined this board,>

I've ALWAYS done it with cats. Once again, don't eat em, so... I have learned a ton from this board, but CPR wasn't. :smile2:
    BB in SC

20. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks

Couldn't Have said it better. ​