Thought, Process, and Ellimination!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Mar 31, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This possibly could end up being the best informative post out of all that I have wrote. However, those that read are the deciding factors of that. I have wrote many threads on How to,Where to, and, When to, from my experiences on the water. I sat here tonight thinking of a different approach of the things I have wrote, and how I could sum everything into one and this is what I came up with. Our experiences fishing go through a variety of things including, thought, process and ellimination.. So many things in life we have heard have involved the same sequence. Fishing isn't any different. We all put "thought" into the equation each and every night out. Not only for the area we are fishing, techniques we use, but different scenarios including weather patterns, moon phase, and even seasonal movements. We also all go through the "process" part of it. Of course this consists of the trial and error end more than anything. Have some nights in certain areas been more productive some nights,at certain times of the year than others? Have some baits even been better? Do I need to target these areas more often, or was it luck I caught what I did? Many of these questions arise in the process mode.. And it's funny how every year how this process can change! And finally the easiest of them all Ellimination. This is the way to write off parts of the thought and process, by claiming luck or no luck! However, it can be the hardest to go through. We all have the spots that we know are big fish spots, but numerous nights with nothing... you would think would be easily gave up! Sometimes so, sometimes not... My point to this thread is to bring back the basics to some. We all sometimes over analyize things, but sometimes don't think of the basics of considering also. So before your next trip out sit down and consider the water your going to, the species you are targeting, and all the small factors you may miss on... and make the most of it through this simple setup! if you haven't been putting much thought into, or have been elliminating without process, you are probably missing a few fish!!!!...goodluck.......rollo

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for your insight on this Rollo.:wink:

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I believe the process is tenfold when you are fishing mainly for BIG fish and not just fishing for any fish. If you know a good spot and that there are 100 fish in that spot, most anyone can go to that spot and "catch a fish", with probably most any bait. But when you put into the equation that out of that 100 fish, there is only one 50 pounder and you are fishing only for him, it becomes much more difficult.

This is where I believe the process of elimination and thought comes in that Jason was talking about ... this what they say "Makes the cheese more binding."

Good posting Jason ........... Garry- :cool2:

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do the same thing every morning after I drink my coffee.:wink:

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I can always tell that the thought part is working Jack .... it is the other part .... no wait ... that is what you are doing on here .... :wink: Garry-

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let me ask you this, do you ever just get the feeling that you are gonna catch fish before a good fishing trip?..I do all the time, I dont know if it's experience or not, but when I have a good trip I always just get that feeling that the fish will be hitting that day.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Me too, it kind of reminds of my baseball days...Sometimes for reasons unknown to myself, I would feel like I was going to hit a home run that day, and 9 times out of 10 thats exactly what happend, I kind of get the same feeling on the water sometimes, and of course the opposite is true, sometimes I have a bad feeling, and more often than not, that feeling comes true also..:eek:oooh::smile2:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all the time, and have had the other feeling also... i think your right jack, alot has to do with experience, i think alot has to do with the the type of attitude we carry to the water as well. For example, if I have had a bad day, and go fishing without the anticipation to do well, usually I don't do well... Maybe the opportunity is there to have a good night and I wasn't ready, or did something out of character while fishing to decrease my chances of having a good night such as not moving enough. But you and T-bull are right, sometimes you just know that its gonna be good! thanks for the post bro's....rollo

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Thanks fer all your help guy.

I'm not the best catter around and don't have much time as of late but a quick breakdown of my opinion n thought process would b...

"When Where n How".

:006:

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the post, got me thinking. I remember last year there was a day at work that all I could think of is one particular spot that I had never fished. I had just found it about a week earlier, and it looked like it would work. I just couldn't shake it all day. So I get off of work and call my Dad to see if he wanted to fish, he had never really fished for catfish before. I got him setup and he threw out at that spot and landed a nice 15-20 lb. flathead. Nothing huge but it sure made his week. Sometimes it just seems like a spot is talking to you. Now if I could just learn to hear when the spot is saying "you idiot there are no fish here dork".

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jason,
    Some good advice there.
    To my mind it's all about eliminating the low percentage stuff to maximize time spent in the high percentage spots. In places you have fished before much of this can be done before you even get on the water. At new places it can be done before you wet your first line...W

12. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    confidence is half the game, the other half is up to luck, whether the big boys are willing to take your bait, i love that feeling of just knowing tonight is gonna be the night, and like you said, a lot of the time it is..:big_smile:

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think your right rollo, this weekend was a prime example, going to the lake I knew nothing good would come from it atleast fish wise, so you end up leaving all the tools on the tackle box at home if you know what I mean, fishing where you are marking no fish, settling for spots you wouldnt do otherwise, attitude is huge in catfishing, a so so attitude, will produce so so, if not sub par results almost every time.:cool2:

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The most demanding element of this equation is the "time on the water". You cannot begin to understand all the daily influences that can affect your fishing untill you experience alot of them.
    Things like high or low water, water temps, time of day or night, rain, wind, snow, moons, bait locations thru out the season. water depths, noise, bait selections, anchoring positions, bait placement, I could go on all night with things just like this. But untill you get out there and run across these things a couple times in different combinations, you will feel lost. But if you keep at it, one day the light bulb will go on over your head lol.

15. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    another thing to make note of is,on the days or nights when fishing is slow.why?whats the water temp?wind.any bait fish in the area,muddy,clear water,calm or choppy.whether i catch any or not-on each trip i try to make note of ,why?

16. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    That's called "Good Fishing Mojo". I don't let my sister fish with me because she puts off "Bad Fishing Mojo"

I don't want any negative vibes scaring off my beloved flatties!

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    interesting stuff thanks for sharing this with us