Thought I'd give ya all an update...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As I have posted recently my doctor wants me to pursue surgical weight loss. Well, just got a phone call from the Surgeon informing me: my stupid insurance that told me they pay for this type of surgery in reality they do not. Doctor's office asked me if I still want to visit with him November 3RD and I said yes,because I realize this is something that needs doing. I was told by another party that alot of U.S. Citizens go to a Mexican doctor that is located 35 miles south of San Diego California. I wasn't crazy about it till I looked it up online. Guess they have a pretty fancy hospital there,and the doctor has performed over 4000 Lapband surgeries in the past 11 years with great success. U.S. doctors charge from $18,000 and up. Mexico charges $7000 and includes everything that this surgery entails. If anyone has any suggestions about Insurance or medical loan companies that really do pay please post or PM me. I can't leave any stone unturned. I, due to my age don't qualify for medicare,and as I said before Medicaid wants to charge me $1,157/month and as of yet Missouri Medicare and Medicaid will not pay for Bariactric Surgery. I appreciate all U good people and any suggestion will be deeply appreciated. May God Bless U all...........Sister Pat:confused2::smile2:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Pat, i'll speak to our school nurse. She had this procedure done and certainly didn't have 17 gran to fork out. Where theres a will theres a way. Don't give up.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Depending on who ya talk to its a good deal or a bad one. There are dentists down there and they are cheaper, but I've heard people say they do poor work, or ya get what ya pay for. Some claim its good work at a good price. There are American doctors there who cannot get licensed in the USA or have lost their license. They operate down there and folks claim good or bad depending on their experience. Ya may need to pay up front, or before they let ya go. Then ya got to have ability to communicate with folks there, either they speak English or you speak Spanish or have an interpreter. I guess the best thing is to check with previous patients of the doctor and hospital and see what they say. There are a lot of people in Mexico, and they need doctors too, if there were no good ones the population would be a lot less.

You'll need a passport to cross the border and get back, you are a citizen, anyone else don't seem to. Good luck with your decision. Whatever ya choose I hope it works out.

5. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I have a friend that did it about 7 years ago and went from 380 to around 160. Hers was Dr. ordered and was in Michigan. Her UAW insurance covered most of it.

Good luck to you.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Good Luck Sister Pat. I hope you find what you need at a price you can
    afford.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    who replied to my post. John, I won't give up. I realized from the start that this will take some time to accomplish. I can't afford the deductables plus the monthly payment plans these big insurance companies have. Good grief,the deductables are from 2 to 10 thousand dollors per year. I'm just not made of that kinda stuff. Gary, a huge thank you goes out to you,as you referred me to a medical loan company. I will continue searching till I accomplish my goal. I want to be around for several more years to come and possibly see grandchildren. I was told if I didn't get this surgery I might not. Scares me to think about that.:big_smile:

8. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    They have to go at it from "quality of life" and suffering due to health problems that ARISE from this condition. That way they may pay for it...if the doctor will approach it from that direction they will be more inclined to pay, otherwise it's cosmetic. Same with laser on the eyes. It's considered cosmetic unless there is an association with quality of life.

9. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta
    PK
    I have known several people who have had it. Seems to me a good number lose down and then gain most or all of it back. Also I have known one who died from problems a month or more after the operation.
    The thing I see is that the whole expense and hurting, and risk, is only to force you to do the diet. I think I would get the after diet and take a month off from the rest of your life and do nothing else except enjoy the time off, fish, walk for the exercise, and anything else to take you away from what you do now and stay on the diet that they give you if you get the operation.
    Just think of the hurting, and risk of dying. A real cheap out with a better chance of playing with grand, and great grandkids.
    Of course you won't have scars to show.
    Good luck
    Alabama Al

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    One more reason to support health care reform.

11. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Hi Pat, Sorry to hear of your troubles. If you even consider going to Mexico for this please be aware of this. Just like with other procedures...some doctors will not remove what one doctor has implanted or placed in the human body. (Such as breast implants). My aunt had a rupture of a breast implant put in by a doctor here in the U.S. She could not find a surgeon to remove it because they were so scared of being involved with a lawsuit. If by chance something went wrong with this lapband or whatever procedure you have ... what are the chances of a surgeon, here in the U.S., wanting to get involved? Just something you might want to consider. I hope you find a happy medium!

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My prayers are with you, Pat. There are a lot of things to consider. I have two relatives that had the procedure done and wish they didn't.

One was a compulsive eater, and her compulsion simply switched to drug abuse and irresponsible behavior. I have seen warnings about this. The other has had a severe eating disorder and depression. Neither can afford to have the procedure reversed.

On the other hand, I have another family member that had the procedure and is doing well; he has lost two hundred pounds and is looking great! His knees are finally healing up and he is able to walk a lot better.

Just like the Mexican-doctor situation, there are pros and cons.

I will pray that you will have wisdom to know the way should proceed.

BTW, please excuse Flathead Willie's hijack...he lacks class as well as sense.

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd be perfectly happy to have the lapband procedure. It is minimally invasive and completely reversible. I called the medical loan company that Gary referred me too and must be sign of the times,they said no at this time. Just scratching my head and trying to figure out where to go from here. I just want my legs and energy back. My husband has to do pretty near everything now,so it would be a huge break for him. He told me the other day that now he has the greatest respect for stay at home moms now cause he understands now that we have alot to do usually while they're gone.:big_smile:

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    He told me the other day that now he has the greatest respect for stay at home moms now cause he understands now that we have alot to do usually while they're gone.:big_smile: By PK Powell

[ Plus watch all your dumb SOAPS] :tounge_out: Seriously Pat I hope U can get something figured out soon.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd say that if you have no viable options for the surgery that you just go on a voluntary DIET :wink: and exercise what little you can at first. Your range of motion will increase the more that you do.

Take charge of your own health. You can do it!:big_smile: