Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread a few weeks ago asking for advice on a possible flathead spot that I had found. Well I fished it and was confused about what happened. After reading a post on lakes and rivers with guys talking about channels hitting big baits I feel like less of an idiot sharing this story. I am new to flathead fishing and I recently had a run on a 6 inch live shad. I set the hook and thought that I had missed the fish. I set my rod down turned my clicker back on and it took off again. This time I let it run longer, set the hook and thought I had missed it again so I reeled it in only to find that I had hooked a channel cat that I thought was too small to get the shad in it's mouth. I had no idea they would hit baits that big. I was afraid to tell anyone because I thought nobody would belive me. Glad to see I am not crazy after all. Sounds like this is a normal thing after all.​

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just last season I caught a 4lb Channel on an 8 inch live bass. I was mad too! I couldn't believe that a Channel that small could take in that whole fish...but he did...in one bite.

You're not crazy. If so, then plenty of us are as well, thus changing the meaning of crazy and putting it to a positive thing. :smile-big:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I learned a long time ago to not underestimate how small a fish will hit a big bait. My most memorable oddball size difference was catching an 18 inch flathead on a 9.5 inch goldfish. The flattie actually had the whole goldfish in it mouth/throat. The hook was not even in the flattie.....just stuck with the godlfish in it's mouth. It made me even more amazed that it was in heavy current in a riffle where the fish really didn't have time to just lazily eat the bait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.