Thought I had a big one...OH MAN!

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by smoofs71, May 28, 2008.

1. smoofs71

smoofs71 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just about dusk on the cumberland river between Nashville and Cheatham Dam, when the rod bent over. I was fishing a live small shad on that rod. Great fight and the rod was bent over really well. As I muscled the fish to the boat....with one last hard pull, surprisingly the 4.5ft EEL shot out of the water and into the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So anyway.....I just about died. I went straight home and changed my underwear. In all of my years of fishing the cumberland, I have never seen and eel. Are they common?

2. Geek13

Geek13 New Member

State:
    Mississippi

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Also eels make great cut bait..We catch them all the time down in the bayou..I haven't caught any up here in Tennessee though..A little short story on the topic though,when I went to certify for open water diving we went to this spring in Mississippi...We went down and the water was as clear as daylight but we went to the opening of these caves..It was pitch black at the entrance and as the instructor started to take us through the entrance he turned on the spotlight a wall-a there seemed to be thousands of eels every where..But anyways...I wouldn't throw them back, use them for cut bait they work excellent for cats...

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like you caught some great cut bait and made some good stinkbait all in the same motion :smile2:. Welcome to the BOC/SOC:cool2:.

5. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    It sounds like sniggling is not a good option for you:wink:. While there are types of eel that are good eating, I'd have to defer to others about the type you got.

I do have to admit, however, my fishing trips are normally not nearly as exciting. Thanks for sharing.

-- Rich

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    They make Pampers in all sizes. Can save your special day on the water.:smile2:Those El's make good cut bait.

7. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is a bit weird. I haven't seen any. Don't know what I would do if I got one.

If it was that long you may have had a state record.

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've had three in the boat. I fish mainly between Cheatham dam and Clarksville on the Cumberland. They are not an everyday catch, but they are in there. Nearly scared my wife right out of the boat the first time she caught one. LOL