Those skipjacks in the freezer? When do you throw your frozen Skip Jack away?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by wolfman, Sep 26, 2007.

How long do you keep frozen skipjacks before throwing away?

1. Dont freeze, always catch fresh to use

2. No longer than 1 month

3. No longer than 3 months

4. No longer than 6 months

5. Over 6 months to a year

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    How old are those skipjacks in the yor freezer? when do you throw them out?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I wish that was something I had to worry about! Have to buy them, and they don't last long before they're used.

3. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I said 1 month. That's only due to the fact that i catch them, usually no more than a few weeks, prior to using them.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I generally vacuum seal mine and they last a lonnnnnnng time!!!!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    As long as I can keep them they stay in the freezer. I need to go get more. I'm just about out already! :sad2:

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    As long as the wife will let me!:wink:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I still have one from Febuary and a couple from March that are the oldest.

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    It's a 2/12 hour drive from my house to where the skipjack are so I never throw any away.I know fresh is best but I've cought cats on skips that had been my freezer for 3 years.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Getting skipjack in central Arkansas is generally pretty difficult; sometimes they'll hit pretty good in the winter at the nuclear plant outlet, and at certain times of the year, they'll hit pretty good when the water flow through the notch in the dike between the river and the outlet of the powerplant at Murray L&D in N. Little Rock. I used to live about 20 miles from the nuclear plant, and they would let us fish the discharge canal, so I could pretty well stock up on skippies there, but since 9/11, we can't even get close; besides, I moved, and it's 100 miles to the plant now. Some years back, James Patterson mentioned to me that he makes a trip over to Pickwick every spring to stock up on skipjack so he'll have some on hand in case he can't catch any fresh ones first thing out on a fishing trip. I got to thinking about that, and with ShilohRed helping with the timing, scheduled a skippy run, meeting up with Badkarma. I happened to mention the trip on the board, which wasn't even called the BOC then, and a few people asked if I'd mind if they showed up too. I always enjoy getting together with other catfishermen, so several of us showed up in early April there at Pickwick. That was the first Pickwick Gathering. It's grown some. :wink: Back on the subject. Now, I have a 7 cubic foot chest freezer dedicated to catfish bait, mostly skipjack. I try to make a trip over to Pickwick every spring to restock. For the first time, I'm going over this fall (this weekend), but more because I want to attend the gathering than because I need to restock.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I try not to throw them out, but if I have some really old ones and I end up getting a cooler full I must say the old ones are for the garbage man.

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I vacuum seal mine also. I stock up when the skipps are running for I like to fish cats mostly in winter and its hard to get bait. so the freezer in the garage is for bait fish only because my wife told me no more in the house, witch worked out for me because now I can keep a whole lot more now. I seal them in bags as to what I think I'm going to use on a trip and yes I've run out before and I've had more than half left over before as well but I never refreeze I have tryied it before but never any luck on refreeze bait so I just dont do it anymore.

12. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    In the area that I fish for blues fresh skipjack is NOT better than frozen. We proved this time and time again this summer. I'll keep skips in the freezer until I run out or if I still have some come spring when the skips show back up I'll throw out the older ones.

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I don't throw any away period. Use your older ones first and keep it going in a cycle. If you are gonna throw them away, give them to somebody that WILL use them. Some people need to learn conservation a little better. Wasting bait and catfish is just plain wrong and STUPID.

14. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I know the best way to get rid of them. Put them on a hook and throw it in the water.Fish 2 poles, fresh / frozen. You may just be surprised. What do have to lose, an old chunk of frozen bait might just get you a nice fish.

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    with the cost of gas and the miles i have to go to get them i dont throw any away.if i have some left over when i do get a chance to get more i just use the old ones first.in the lake i fish i have put 1 year old and fresh skips side by side and i cant tell the difference in the number of bites.

16. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    refreezing skips ........ take the old skips u have thawed the 2nd time and put them in a blender and puree real good .......... whole fish ,scales and all ........... freeze in plastic bottles ... makes a good chum for those big eddies behind rock dikes .......especially in the winter time , it seems to whet their appetites to catch a scent of all that skippy juice circulating ...... tie the bottle off to the side of the boat and let the stuff just melt and flow outa the bottle...

17. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    fellas i know fresh is best but i've caught good fish and won tournaments on frozeen, take it to the river, not use it, and freeze again and fished with it again and still catch fish . fresh is best so freeze the rest. i wont waist a skippy . some day i'll be huirtin for bait and be able to use at least something is better than nuttin when got the bug and have to fish

18. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd say on an average trip I go through 10 or so by myself and 2 dozen or so with a partner. The skips dont last that long when you go once or twice a week. I keep them in bags on ice in a GOOD cooler, only use what I need and the rest never thaw. I voted 6 months or longer because I think I would keep them a loooong time if I needed.

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I evenually throw them all away.........

One Chunk At A Time, LOL!!!

20. RIVER3782

RIVER3782 New Member

State:
    Terre Haute Indana
    food saver! never trow mine out!