Thornapple River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by uapipefitter, Feb 17, 2007.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    ha, have any of you guys fished the thornapple at all? do any good on cats? thanks trent

2. Kattywumpus

Kattywumpus New Member

State:
    Michigan
    There should be some in there. I fish the Grand for flatties all summer. Plenty of em in there. I fish about a mile downstream from where the Thornapple runs into the Grand. All of that water is connected.

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Trent:
    The Thornapple below the Ada dam is probably OK, but above the dam is probably not as good. Tough to fish the Thornapple anyway, access is limited and boating is hazardous once you get upstream of the big impoundment. The Grand is way better anyway.

Tim:
    I'm surprised we haven't met out there, that's my favorite stretch too. We ought to compare notes sometime... I hope you like to release the big ones...

Tony

4. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    thanks for the replies, i live not to far from the little part of the thornapple,and have fished thornapple lake a couple times....(lot of gar) tigers to but that stretch where 96 crosses it east of 28th has always looked good to me but that must be the impoundment your talking about tony? thanks trent

5. Kattywumpus

Kattywumpus New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Since I have most of June, July and August free (teacher), I am on the Grand at least 3 nights a week. I usually call it at around 2 am. I gotta tell ya, this past summer was tough. Not much luck. My best night, my buddy and I put 3 in the boat. (6.5 to 11 lbs) I still love the peace and quiet of the river after dark. Two summers ago, we tore em up. 3-5 nice ones a night. Two flatties over 20 lbs (photographed and released). This past summer, I got skunked more than not. We never got em figured out in 06. Did you find it tough fishin for flatties last summer? I chalked it up to natural cycles. Fill me in on your summer of 06 on the Grand.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Man, I feel your pain. Sounds exactly like my experience.
    I have another theory about the fact I only got two over 20# last year (released), and that is the "kill as many as you can" year long tournament being run out of a bar near Ada.
    I launch on West River near Northland Dr., you too?

7. Kattywumpus

Kattywumpus New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Yeah, I launch out of West River most of the time. I have to launch from Knapp Street to reach the glory hole behind the old Ada Beef plant. That stretch is treacherous in low water conditions. Doesn't get fished much. I plan to try launching from Ada and heading downstream to see if that is any better.
    Tim