Thompson/Center Encore Rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by randallewis, Aug 12, 2007.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    The barrel on my Browning Bar 7 Mag has finally given up. I'm looking at the T/C Encore in a 270 cal. I have some friends that shoot the T/C and I'm not impressed with the accuracy of their guns but they shoot any kind of cheap ammo they can borrow or buy. I also plan to get a black power barrel. Any comments are helpful.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm not familiar with this rifle,having never used one but you can bet with good handloads and plenty of range time you will have an accurate rifle.

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Randal,
    I've had good luck with all the T/C products. Have not had that one but have shot a friends and it has shot well the times that I have shot it.
    You might think about rebarreling your Browning or using the same barrel and have a good gunsmith take it up to the next cal. I have shot out some barrels, like a 6mm and had the barrel punched out to a 7mm or 6.5mm and ended up with a 243 case using a larger bullet. Of course you have to be a handloader to do so but it makes a good shooter out of a old barrel. Getting a set of dies for a new cal is not that hard.
    Bill

4. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I'll be 70 my next birthday and going to the next caliber may not be an option that I would enjoy. I mostly hunt from stands now and I'll looking for a lighter rifle with good accuracy out to 150/200 yd. for mostly deer. hogs and coyote. So I need to get away from that Browning Bar. My gunsmith says the Savage is the bust buy for the money, but I've heard the Rem 700 is the most accurate out of the box gun. Hope you or someone else knows. This is my last shot at a new gun.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They are fine weapons but cheap ammo can turn any fine weapon into a frustrating piece of iron and wood. The great thing about them you can change barrels to the style of hunting. At one time I had 6 different barrels and once I found out what kind of ammo each barrel liked I was pleased. Dont spend a bundle on a weapon and pennies on ammo!!:tounge_out: But the big question is .270 minium calibre you can use or? What are you going to hunt? What distances? What kind of topo?

6. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I hunt the piney woods in north Louisiana. A 200 yd shooting lane is about max. unless you are in a fresh cutover and that want last but about a year.
    We hunt deer and hogs over bait. Coyote w/varmit calls. I just picked the 270, I don't enjoy the mags anymore.

7. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    i have the t/c 300 win mag with bore barrel and i love the thing. hands down the best gun i've ever had. i have the thumb hole stock on it and the balance of it is unmatched. you can hold that gun still for ever. if your looking for a little smaller bullet have you looked at a 25-06. it will give you the range for the deer no problem, but might wounder about a 200 yard shot at a pig. might be a little tougher. hope that helps:big_smile:

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Randal, I hear what you are saying. The Remington 700 and Rugar 77 have both been accurate right out of the box for me. 25-06 is a good choice or a 243 might be something you might like. I have got away from the Mags myself. Don't need the recoil and I don't hunt anything bigger than deer for the most part and my old Ruger 30-06 will handle that if I do. I have shot 2 hogs with a 243 so that cal will work there if need be.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on.
    Bill

9. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    The 270 is a great choice. It will do all you want and then some. The recoil is not too bad. I have been shooting a 270 for many years and have taken deer out to 300 yards with it.

10. Spurhunter

Spurhunter New Member

State:
    TN
    The TC is a good choice. They are not the MOST accurate out of the box, but shoot fine if you are not a competion shooter. The options of changing barrels is un-beatable. You will really enjoy one. If you are looking for better recoil relief, why not try a 7mm-08. I bought one for my daughter, and I have shot it more than she has! She took a VERY nice 8 point with one shot, and I killed a 140lb hog with it. It was the biggest hole in an animal I have EVER seen..no joking.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought my encore with a 50 cal black powder barrel. It came on the day before muzzle loader season. I picked it up at closing time and drove to my brothers house. I had no time to shoot it or anything. I had called Thompson and spoken to a gunsmith who told me the iron sights were set for 50 yards, use 250 grain sabots and loose pyrodex, not pellets. I was nervous the next morning. First time in my life hunting with a rifle I had not shot beforehand on a range. By 7:00 AM I had shot two does that died in their tracks. One 50 yards, and one 20 yards. That afternoon I put a Burris scope on it and sighted it in for 100 yards. It shoots as good as my ability allows. I have since bought a 300 whisper barrel, Sub-sonic loads with no recoil and sound like a 22 short. Great for shooting deer in the suburbs!!!!. Last year I bought a 308 barrel. I have zero complaints with Thompson. You can call them whenever you want. Customer service is friendly and switched on knowlegeable. My brother turned me on to the encores. He shoots the 50 black powder, 270 win. and 204 ruger. All of his barrels do great as do mine.

12. Spurhunter

Spurhunter New Member

State:
    TN
    Also let me add that TC was bought by Smith & Wesson, so company longevity is cemented, and we all know S&W's quality is on par with ANYBODYS!