Thomas Hill

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by duckalot, Dec 26, 2008.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone on here close to T Hill. was wondering if the plant was running and how the fishing is? I found the number for the bait shop in Kaseyville but got no answer, must be closed. Buddy bought another boat and wants to run it and i want to fish! win/win LOL Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    :big_smile:

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Hey Rob I've heard that the fishing is average like most of the time during this part of the year. Haven't heard from any catfishermen yet though.

We usually pick up bait at Bass Pro here in Columbia.

3. duckalot

State:
    Missouri

Thanks Joe, We catch a lot of small cat there in the winter. I have yet to catch any over Five pounds. The Stripers are a blast if you can get the little channels to leave you alone.

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I'm gonna try and fish it this winter. Duck season is over and I'm already itching to fish! If you see a camo sea ark with a rod bar on the back come over and say hi!

Good luck.

5. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
  6. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Nice boat! Where do you live? Looks like the Missouri river in the pic.

7. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Your correct,(Waverly ramp) I live just north of Carrollton.

8. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Fished the warm water discharge channel of Thomas Hill today from 9:00 am till 2:00 pm. Nice weather, but that was all that was good. Water was high and pretty muddy. I guess run off from the night before. Tried fresh shad sides,shad guts and shrimp. Had a few little nibbles but no takers. Spring can't get here fast enough!
    :sad2:

9. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Wow! That is very unusual to go to Thomas Hill and not catch any channels. Those little fellers are usually reliable. At least you got out today!

10. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Rob thanks for the post. I'm gonna try and fish Thomas Hill on new years day. Were you able to find shad on the lake?

11. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    We took a throw net but never tried. I picked up couple jars at the local bait shop. I normally just use raw shrimp. In the past when using shad gizzards the little channel cat would dive you nuts(like catfishchris said) but not today. there were a couple bass boats fishing the crappie beds and they were not having any luck ether. One boat was leaving when we got there, they had driven all the way from Lawson and had fished since daylight with no luck at all,blamed it on the passing storm front. That must have been the Problem because I'm a pretty good fisherman. LOL
    :smile2:

12. badredbowtiez28

badredbowtiez28 New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey you guys ever catfished Long branch lake? At thomas hill I've caught a lot of little cats in the warm water finger and my fiance caught a nice 6lb right at the mouth of where the power plant dumps the warm water. if you got a depth finder you'll notice some underwater wing dams right at that mouth of the power plant. thats where she caught the 6lber and i've had some realy good bites there.

13. benwebber

benwebber New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Ive never fished up at thomas hill and maybe you guys can help me out. Obviously its not the place to fish for large cats but Is there anywhere to fish on the bank near the warm water discharge? Can you get to the stripers from the bank? Are there Tons of stripers in there? Are they like hybrids and bite on spoons and large plastic shad? What is the technique of choice for them.

14. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Ben, all though there are some large cats in Thomas Hill reservoir like other lakes catching them is not that easy. There are a few places to bank fish but most of the warm water discharge canal is only accessible by boat. The Crappie fisherman often catch striper's while jigging over beds, But I mainly anchor and fish a tight line set up with shad or shrimp. If you will visit the Missouri dept. of Conservations web site you can find some more info on Thomas hill. If it is still on there website, there was a small video clip showing some winter time fishing opportunities of MO.
    Good Luck,
    Rob'

15. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    It has been very muddy at thill but ought to be settling down now.
    I was at north end other day . If you want to catch big flatheads
    throw out past end of boat ramp at warm water pool and a lil to the right . There are several laying underneath the ramp that can break 60 lb test. If you need live bait usually just about 7 ft from shore and between dock and ramp bluegill can be caught . And if you throw a circular net about 15 ft onto ramp concrete you can usually pick up a few shad.

16. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    ive over to thomas hill a few times in the last month or so. not been real good but have caught a bunch of small channels, i would recommend going back into the discharge channel all the way to the buoys and throwing anchors over them buoys, the current will keep you pretty steady there. have had my best luck right there. usually not much size but lots of fish. i have my best luck with leeches, crawdads, and small bluegill or shad. shad can be hard to find but i have the best luck off of the bridge on T. (not supposed to throw there but that is my favorite spot...go figure) for the stripers i would say chicken livers....just use just like when your catfishing those stripers will tear them up. i also caught a 29" striper on a live bluegill back in november (i wondered why that clicker was running a hundred miles an hour...lol) very fun....good luck hope this helps some of u guys