Thomas Hill

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by duckalot, Feb 2, 2008.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone on here fish Thomas Hill? Thinking about making a run over there and fishing the warm water arm. I know there are a lot of Big Flatheads caught there in the spring,just looking for some inside Info. Thanks,Duck

2. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thomas Hill where is that located.

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    West of Moberly on hwy 24 and then North, or west of Macon on hwy 36 then South.

4. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its been a long time since I've been over there. I know they catch a bunch of wipers in the winter time over there.

5. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    never been fishing for flathead there. I know you can catch your limit of channels in about 20 minutes there and they push for everybody to keep there limit cause the lake is overstocked with them. I usually catch crappie and hybrids when I go there.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Best prospect at Thomas Hill is crappie. There are lots of hybrids, and way too many channelcats. I have seen big flatheads caught there though. If ya don't want the dinks to pester ya constantly, stick with LARGE bait, like whole live hand sized gills, or bullheads. I have never personally caught a flathead there, but have seen, and heard of it happening. I just don't know how consistant they are. I heard the crappie were big this past fall. 12-15+ inches. In a couple of months, the flats will be on the feed bag at MTL.:wink:

7. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I used to fish Thomas Hill a lot. I caught bunches of channel cats and a few flatheads. This time of the year I would motor up the discharge canal and fish in there. There are a couple of deep ledges that always seemed to hold fish. I would also motor up the canal until opened it opened up near the power plant. There were a couple of good spots back there too. Live bluegill seemed to be the best bait for the flatheads. The bluegills also caught an occasional hybrid striper. This is a good lake if you want to go somewhere and have constant action with an occasional "good" fish. I hope this helps.

8. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Any opportunities to do any bank fishing on the warm arm?

9. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    There are some spots around the boat ramp parking lot to bank fish in the warm water arm. The banks in the discharge canal are nearly straight up and down, so I wouldn't recommend trying to bank fish there. Good luck!

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    You are wasting your time in warm water arm unless power plant is running. Flatheads seem to like bluegill better than shad. It is real easy to lose alot of line there. Shortest way to warm water pool is take highway Z through Cairo stop at 416 West highway Z and pick me up lol. Then you keep going west till it t's into DD where you go north , where youll turn left on county gravel road by grain silo and farm impliment shed. You continue west over east fork of chariton river up hill and couple more curves. The county comes out on State Rt. C which you take right or north to Rt F which power plant is on . Warm water pool is marked by conservation sign on curve before powerplant. Then go north on gravel and stay to right at fork in road. This will take you to boat ramp. Good luck! The plant runs when weather is worst.