Thomas Hill Wipers

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mocatman, Dec 29, 2009.

1. mocatman

mocatman Guest

Was wondering if anyone has tried hitting up thomas hill for some hard hitting wiper action. I read a article in the conservationist says these cold days bring a big bite in the warm water arm.

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I'm out of the loop.....what's a 'wiper'? Strippers I'm guessing??:eek:oooh:

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cross between a white bass and striper.

4. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    I went about a month ago and threw around a crankbait and tried some drifting with chicken liver and didn't have any luck at all. They say chicken liver is the bait of choice for wipers at THL. Anyone that has luck catching them there let me know...I'd like to give it another whirl.

5. mocatman

mocatman Guest

Had good luck with them back in the summer using crankbaits. They say the shad will head for the warm water arm when it gets cold and the hybrids will follow em in there. If you catch the right time i guess fishing can be very good in the cold depth of winter. Im addicted, These fish hit hard and are alot of fun to catch!

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    A line stripping, lure busting, line busting, mean OL' fish that I love to catch!! Yes, they're a cross between a White Bass and the Striped Bass. Our state record stands at 20lb. 1oz. My PB is 13lb. 1oz. That fish, ran off appox. 70yds. of line in a matter of seconds and took me 15min to battle him in. Considering the fact I was fishing fast water in a spillway. The second the fish grabbed the bluegill, I was using for bait, he was gone on the run.

Amazing fish!! Need a good reel with a smooth drag and strong line!! I love Fireline for these beasts!!

7. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    You guys got me thinking about trying this!!Is January a good month to fish for them??

8. mr. baker

mr. baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught them several years back right in the mouth of the warm water chute carolina rigging shrimp.

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
  10. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the years past we have always had our best luck in Jan,Feb. I always thought that was due to cold weather=peak power demand witch in turn = lots of Generation from the power plant. I only went twice last winter and never really had much luck catching striper's. Not sure why, we just never could get on them. I will give you fair warning when using liver, If you find the Striper's its a ball, if you don't, the little Channel Cat will drive you nuts. Another little tip, Stop by Hyvee and pick up some Raw shrimp. Not the little packs of frozen bait shrimp but the Big fresh shrimp. Kinda pricey but you can get two baits out of one piece and the little cats won't knock it off near as fast as they will the Liver.
    Good Luck and keep us posted on your success.
    DA

11. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Hey Joe, I only live about 20 mins. from there if you wanna give it a try sometime. My boat's out of commission right now, so we would have to take yours. We could probably get Jeff (jlcperformance) to go with us...He fishes there a little.