Thomas Hill Fishing?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Hannibal Mike, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have not fished at Thomas Hill, but have heard different stories as to its quality. I was told that they no longer have a warm water discharge, but there is a current that keeps a channel open. How is it for cats and stripers this time of year. Do you need a boat? How do you find the fishing areas when comming from the east (Hannibal - Quincy)? Hannibal Mike

2. bootr1

bootr1 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    thomas hill is still making warm water i dont know about the fishing thier now last summer we caught an 18 and a 28 flathead on goldfish the lake is easy to find take hwy 24west to huntsville go north on hwy c about 10 miles or so to hwyf west about 3 miles you will see mdc sign this will take you to the warm water arm

3. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Fished Thomas Hill 3 years ago in early November, 25degrees, wind out of the west, needless to say it was the best day of fishing I ever!!!! had. My partner and I caught well over 100 largemouth and hybrid stripers in the discharge channel. The colder the temperature, the better the fishing...Good Luck:cool:

4. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Well, it sounds like a place to get rid of cabin fever! Is is easy to fish from shore?

5. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2006/01/40.htm

My friend's dad has a house in Beveir which is about 15 miles north of Thomas Hill. We are planning to spend about a week up there. There is Long Branch State Lake about 5 mins north of his house which we fished last fall from the bank. I caught a small channel and the locals said that the flathead have moved up the river. But we plan on fishing alot up that way this year.

Dave

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Does Thomas Hill have HP restrictions?:confused:

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    That was excellent information and link! Thanks a ton. I hope that I can learn how to use those links to help others with information. My home is in Hannibal, so perhaps we can meet some time on THill. I have a boat.

8. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds good. My friend and I are talking about mid-May for our week trip. I need to check my work scedule and I will try to get a date set. Maybe you can comeup sometime. When I get the date I post it and if you think you can come up then I will pm ya with my cell number so we can possibly fish together.

Dave

9. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    From what I have found out it does not look like it but to double check you can call their ranger station. 660-775-2464

Dave

10. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Mike the wife just showed me an article yesterday in the mo. conservation I think the most recent issue. They said they have a lot of brush piles marked were you can bank fish.
    Word got out last year and there was a lot of pressure on the big crappie. but should still be good as they grow fast in the warm water.
    Now she wants to live near Thomas Hill.

11. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea, That is the link that I posted. I love the Mo. Con. Mag and read it when I get it. I really like the fishing and hunting articles.

Dave

12. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Sorry it took so long to get back Hannibal, I've seen people fishing from the shore of the discharge channel, but not sure how they got there. Probably a trail from the parking lot at the ramp off hwy C(???). I also read that article in Mo. Conservationist, sounds like with the mild winter so far, the Hybrids and Crappie could be anywhere(where ever the shad are).:confused: Wish I could be more help. Good Luck

13. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hannibal Mike,
    My friend and I will be in the area May 20 I think. We are both taking May 22-26 off of work for a full week of fishing. I am hoping it will be awesome. If you are going to be down there during that time let me know and I will give ya my cell number.

Dave

14. bootr1

bootr1 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    thomas hill has no hp limets went fishing afew days ago there no crappie but caught a few channels and a carp

15. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have not traveled to Thomas Hill yet, but in this winter weather it is sure nice to hear from the explorers! I really plan to make it soon, and this spring too, after I learn my way around a bit. Thanks everyone! Hannibal Mike