Thistle

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by DELLIS, Sep 25, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    does anybody have any idea how to get rid of thistle(the weeds with many pricklies) i have pulled them which i learned not a smart thing to do i have sprayed groundclear(formly known as orthonox) suppose to kill all vegitation for up to 1 year but ortho says 4mos. does anybody know of anything stronger that can be bought by joe consumer or does anybody do landscaping that lives near west chester ohio area thanks

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hate them. Would walk a 100 yd just dig them up. They kill a lot of grass. I used to use a little gasoline mixed with a little oil. I don't know if thats proper anymore.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    oh yeah i know where youre coming from and i also use gasoline for my string trimmer or chainsaw works great roundup will work if you get the kind for poison ivy and woody plants but be sure to spray when its growing ..like early in the spring for a good kill

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    It all the fault of those little Goldfinches! Stores sell tons of thistle seed for those birds. Some states, such as ILL have outlawed selling the stuff. I admit, in the past, I too have set up those tube type feeders. Not any more though. Roundup and a good hoe is all that I know of to even help in the fight against that plant.

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Roundup works but get the good stuff. If you know a farmer you might be able to get a pint or so. Cost around 60.00 a gallon but 2 oz to a gal of water will kill them and anything else it touches. Roundup will not kill the seeds. Better to touch the plant with the mixture than spray it where there is a chance of over spray. We see arcres of thistles around here and after a spraying of Roundup there gone.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Round works if you have them on your lawn I would dIg Them up get rid of the plants:tounge_out:

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    May I suggest adding a drop of dish soap to your round up? Dish soaps acts as a tacktafier (sp) The leaves you are spraying are waxy like clover. The longer the chem stays on the leaf the better it will work! If you have grass around the weed use Tri Mech. It is 2-4-D with a tacktafier in it. Any braod leaf killer should work also. Add the dish soap to any broad leaf killer you use.
    Bill

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    While I'm sure that the DER wouldn't approve of this but try Bleach. OR Gasoline (only on the plants you wish to erradicate) OR Diesel Fuel. We use the latter for poison Ivy at our river lot. Seems to work great but being the environmenalist that I am I only use just enough to do the job and dont saturate the ground cause it will leech into the ground.

9. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    the thistle seed sold for birds is actually nyjer seed ........... it is not related to the thistle family at all ..................

10. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I bought one of thoughts weed torchs that you hook to a 20lb propain cyld. We have well water and I don't want to use cemicals! If you burn it it won't come back and the seeds are history as well.

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Round up and other broad leaf killers will not get into your water. They break down very quickly. The EPA says a person can only use 2-4-D twice ayear. Also round up, 2-4-D etc. is asorbed thru the leaf which then works it way to the root system. If you spray a weed and it comes back you have mixed it to strong. (follow directions) When it is to strong you burn the leaf off and leave the roots alive. Fire can steralize (sp) the soilif not carefull. I too am on a well and I shoot 50 gallons of 2-4-D a year. I had my water tested this year and it is fine. I do see your consern tho.
    Bill

12. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    there are broadleaf herbicides well suited for thistle. 3-way, tri-power, or variations on a three-something in the name work fine. avoid using any glyphosate product over turfgrasses. add a squirt of dish liquid soap to the stuff for better control. never ever pull thistle out of the ground, same goes for any grassy weeds too.

its still not too late for pre-emergents (down south) to do some good. even tho labeled as crabgrass preventers they work well on dandilions, thistles, and cool season weeds such as poa annua and henbit. make sure the label reads to use over the particular turf you own.

pre-emergents used in march and september each year will significantly reduce the weeds in your yard and in combination with a three way broadleaf herbicide one can easily keep them at bay.