This years weather

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 6, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last summer and fall we had a drought here in Ohio, and it was hot.

I dont have any facts but it seems this summer so far has been cool and wet.

Fishing smaller and medium sized rivers I have much better luck in years we have droughts.

Fishing low water conditions for me is easier, because I feel it puts more fish in small spots, with a deep hole right below a riffle being the best.

Last year with drought conditions I had probably my best year flathead fishing in regards to size of fish, I did not get to fish much due to back surgery, but once I got to get out the fishing was pretty good...Below is last years results compared to this years so far.

Last year I caught 26 flatheads, with 9 fish being over 20-lbs, 3 flatheads were over 40-lbs and 1 was over 50-lbs, I only caught one flathead under 10-lbs.

Last year also saw my 2 fishing buddys Mellon and Roger catch there personal best flatheads of over 40 lbs each.

Last year I only caught 6 flatheads before the spawn, and then had back surgery at the tail end of the prespawn fishing.

Last year from late august till early October was killer with me, and my 2 buddys putting personal best flatheads on the bank.

this year has been a dud, I did catch a 50-lb flathead in late may, but my river has constantly been on a up and down pattern every since..I am ashamed to admit I have only caught 4 flatheads this year:sad2:

With the extended weather forcast calling for rain 8 of the next 10 days, I see little chance of a drought...But I still have hope of a good late summer and fall season..But probably not as good as last year.

I always look forward to fishing after labor day weekend, kids are back in school, and less people on the water.

This year I have seen a tremendous increase in the numbers of people out fishing...I hope the water get less crowded soon.

And I hope everyone has a good fall season.

And remember if ya dont need the meat, try and realese the big flatheads this fall, they will be next years breeders and will put a lot off eggs in the water, which will result in more flatheads for our future years.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    jack, i am in the same boat ur in i have only caught 4 or 5 flatheads this year, ur not the only one we all live resonably close to each other. however the rest of this week and this weekend has no rain in it for me , giving the ohio a chance to go back down and me a chance to go fishin on the big o saturday.......RAT

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The low water last year trapping flatties in the holes was disaster for me. If you were to go back thru my post last summer and fall you'll see that I was bitchin' and moanin' about it.
    The problem here was- alternative fisherman catching and keeping the trapped flatties until they were gone from that hole.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I feel your pain Bill, my river has been hit hard by the alternative methods this year, I just hope there luck has been as bad as mine has.

5. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    [/QUOTE]
    And remember if ya dont need the meat, try and realese the big flatheads this fall, they will be next years breeders and will put a lot off eggs in the water, which will result in more flatheads for our future years.You got it brother,that way we can keep haveing fun for years to come:wink:

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Jack you need to get a boat :big_smile: its less strain on the back, and you dont have to pack all your gear around. And you will catch more flats... 10 fold:eek:oooh::big_smile: no chit man:wink:

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know how much impact alternative fishing is having on the river, but I do know how far I have to run to get away from all the lines. All the usual spots within 3-5 miles of a ramp are now overcrowded with lines, many of which are unattended. Getting away from the forked sticks and lines is becoming a real problem. Just venting I guess. Stay safe and thanx for listening!!!:wink:

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is not just you noticing this, it is a documented phenomenon. They say that camping equipment sales are up like 20% in this recession and fishing spots, especially on the bank are filling up very quickly. Every time I am in a walmart recently I can't even get to the fishing equipment because of all the people there. Fishing ain't cheap but compare it to a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant and a movie or a weekend out of town at a hotel and it is a bargain. As soon as people can afford to go back to starbucks and spend $12.95 on a cup of coffee while listening to Sade we will have our spots back.

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Jack I didn't get started till late on the flats but have caught a few decent size ones. Caught several 2-3 lb flatties which for me is very unusual. Now channels this year have been record setters for me an my friends that have went.