This year....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by chris45601, Sep 9, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Brothers and Sisters, Hopefully you can help me because honestly I need it.
    I've listened scouted drove around, Thought like a fish did everything imaginable.
    I just can't seem to put these fish together, The main lakes and rivers I fish are as follows, The Scioto river, Paint Creek, and just recently Deer Creek. I have a great site I found for structure maps on the lakes at least. I've fished myself stupid, I wish I could take pictures and show you brothers and sister these wonderful places.
    I fish with the default bait, blue gills and rock bass. I fished bottom and suspended. I have done everything to try to catch these fish. I don't have a boat. So i really can't get out.
    This is the normal game plan, I find the bait fish the gills and the war mouths, Then fish exactly where I pulled the bait out fish in about 5 feet of water in openings of coves, shallows, points, and drop offs all rock bottoms and have some type of structure. I've caught 4 fish this year.
    My bait presentation is changed every time, Hooked through the eyes, with the dorsal fin cut off, and small slits to make the fish bleed, I've also tried cutting the fan off the tail, hooking them through the back, and even through the tail. I've tried to get the oils of the fish to get out into the water, make the bait distressed as possible.
    When fishing suspended I adjust the depth of the bait, every 30 minutes or so. I've tried fishing for the early flats for mouths of cover deeper waters about 10 to 15 ft. I want to catch before the fall hit comes off, So Can anyone help this brother down on his luck?
    Also, The hits I do get I wait for my rod to load up then the drop it and don't come back. Could i be doing something wrong there?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice post bro.. i dunno if you read my thread relating to this or not... i can only tell you that if you keep fishing and using the presentations you are using you will catch! i will promise that! DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! you will get em..rollo

3. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Jason, I'm telling you for an Irishmen with a couple of 4 leave clovers tattooed on him and with a birthday of 07-07-07 i should have luck in my favor:smile2:, But I'm starting to think differently. I'm gonna try a new spot sometime this week, if this rain lets up. Which i shouldn't let it bother me i fished in it last night. This spot could be where it's at for late nights. No boat traffic, A large Pipe is the only way in this place, small enough to get a bass boat through but that's it, It's about 5 ft of water maybe deeper, I'm looking at it now on the map. I'm gonna try fishing the structure as best as possible.

4. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    Good luck brother. Keep the faith & the fish will come. :wink:

5. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok another Quick question, Flat heads are attracted to the oils the fish produce, then whats the best way to get those oils out?

6. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Brothers and Sisters, As my Chase for the elusive Shovel head catfish, :eek:oooh:
    I'm putting a poa together, I'm gonna to got to a new spot but I'm going to fish it a little different. A slow Retrieve rig. Apparently it's used a lot in walleye fishing, And try to coax these fish out of the brush for some reason, I thinking that the fish are just sluggish i watched several boaters no do anything.

7. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Leave the "oil" in the bait fish. You'll attract more flatheads with a healthy, lively bait than with one that's stressed out to the max. If they're in the area and feeding on what you're offering, you'll catch one. As far as cutting the bait goes I'd say sticking a big hook through it serves the purpose well enough. If I had to guess, they're send out "injured baitfish" vibs with just the hook and tail/ dorsal trimmed down. I've been having a lot of success using float rigs. I think the bait keeps struggling to get to a hiding spot and sends even more vibs out under a float. Less snagging too:smile2: