Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my brother went fishing by the alton locks this past weekend. We had one heck of a trip with both of us catching new pb's. mine was right around 30 and his was around 60. check em out guys.

Attachments

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were using skipjack heads and gut pockets. The ol' Miss is running hard right now, our orignal plans for that day was to take the boat out but its just too dangerous for all of that right now. But i'm glad we stuck to the bak that day.

· Registered
4 Posts
I've never fished below the dam at alton and my buddy and I are planning on heading up there on a up coming weekend. I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on where to fish at below the dam and how much weight you were using to keep your bait down there. And how and where did you catch skipjack.
Thanks.

· Registered
827 Posts
I'm not sure where they were fishing but where I have fished at the dam there is no current. I would suggest walking down where the current starts. Fish right on the edge of the current. The reason I haven't fished there is I was snagging also and you can't go past 900 ft below the dam when snagging. I haven't caught any catfish there yet this year and I use skipjack every time I go there. If you get in the current you'll need some heavy sinkers. In the current right now no amount of sinkers will keep your bait down unless you get hung up. I have been buying my skipjack from bluff city tackle. Haven't been able to catch any yet.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Nice job on your new PB. Were you fishing at the dam or on the Alton side of the river. I know now there is no chance getting to the dam because it is flooded. There have been some skipjack at the dam lately. Good job.

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We were fishing on the alton side of the dam, using 4oz bank sinkers in moderate current.

· Registered
207 Posts
Ok dumb question here or not What are you calling skipjack Outeast its tuna No tuna in the Il or the Big miss? I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering.. Congrats on the PB thanks for sharing

· Registered
207 Posts
Ok river herring , sheephead , drum , some call them river perch I thank you I just couldn't place this skipjack... To many days on the ocean Navy Boy go figure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.