this weekend

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Apr 30, 2009.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Since the rivers are jack up im lookin for a good lake to fish this weekend... my co worker keep sayin some power plant in illinois... Do you guys know what hes talkin about? And is there nice fish there..

and how far is it from St. louis

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Cant help ya Willieman. Randy knows those area pretty good. Maybe give him a shout to see if he knows.

3. biermann83

biermann83 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They might be talking about Sangchris lake. It is up around springfield and I have heard some good things about it. Never fished it myself but hear that the flat head fishing is good. Don't really know about the blues

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Was it Baldwin Lake? That's a heck of a channel cat fishery. Swamp and I were on the river last night, and it came up at least two feet while we were out there.:eek:oooh:

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    i think thats the one... are any Blues in that lake?

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Dunno about blues, but is a heated lake, and I know there are alot of big channels there. It's a shallow lake, and has a horsepower limit. My dad used to fish there with his buddies back when he fished, but Ive never been there.:wink:

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I do not know about blues either. However it has some nice channels and flat heads. I would say it/s 30 or 40 miles from st louis.

8. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Wille Ballwin has blues a lot guys down there drift for them, I know the hot water ditch is a popular bank fishing spot. I think its a 45 or 50hp limit on the lake. The lake is basically a big square. If you head down there keep a eye on the wind that lake can get a little rough.

9. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Its been a few years since i been there, but they used to not let you start fishing untill 8 in the morning.

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    i just got the fever thats all... looks like i'll be heading to carlyle again

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep Willie, Baldwin has some nice Blues and Flathead, but like J said, if the wind is up much at all it gets real rough in a boat....... Kaskaskia is also up and by morning more than likely will be all over the place, not sure how it is below Carlyle but I would guess the same...... Baldwin is South of ya Coffeen is East of ya and Sangchris is north east all between 1 1nd 1 1/2 hours Flat Head are just starting to move up through the north end of Carlyle if that gives ya any ideas.....

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Coffeen has alot of channels and flatheads but a 25hrs limit.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    FEVER:eek:oooh: May be the pigs butt flu Willie. I wouldn't take any chances. Ya know hang close an do a lil weed eatin An mowin. Too be on the safe side, help the neighbors clean up around their place too.

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    man this sucks... what a man gotta do to wet a line now a days.. this high water is gettin crazy

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Pack yo onion sack Willie and come on over to the gathering. I hope Truman fills to the gills. Fixin to root my way up below the dam and homestead the place.

16. jeremydouin

jeremydouin New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Willie-

As far as Sangchris goes, it's right at 1 1/2 hours away from you. Bout 85-90 miles. I've been fishing it pretty much all my life. Its a power plant lake and is always warmer than the lakes around. Probably high 60s to low 70s right now. The lake is kinda shaped like a deformed turkey foot, with the middle arm being the power plant arm(hot ditch), but the East and west arm are longer.

I've pulled quite a few flatheads over 50lbs out of that lake(including my avatar), with the biggest one pushing 70lbs., and have seen many others hauled in also. The flatheads are definitely there. Right now they're moving up in the shallow water in the prespawn stage. Me and Tim(subnet zero) hauled in a 60+ lber in May in about 4 foot of water, so this is a good time.

The summer has been harder on us, and we can never catch the numbers of big flatheads in the summer as we do the spring and fall. The lake is full of bluegill, and thats about all we use for bait, always alive.

So, if you need any help with directions or anything, give me a holler

17. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    I say SKIPPY TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Although I never have fished Baldwin Lake, I hear there are alot of nice blues out there. (and when I say "hear", I mean "read") :smile2:
    I did a job in Sparta last week and drove by the Baldwin Ramp on the way home for the first time. The hours say from 6-9. And it's a 50 HP limit. It was windy and raining when I was there, and the signs that say "caution in high winds" are there for a reason! :crazy: Looked a weeeee bit choppy out there. Then again, I've seen Carlyle looking pretty nast too.

Attached Files:

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well Dan, next time at least hold yer camera out the window.......nice cracked winder ya got there, LOL. As far as getting rough in the wind, yes it do, but I don't think you would have any problem with the toon (cept the HP) it never gets as bad as the River in a Southern "Breeze" LMAO!