This week on Lake Norman

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Since Wednesday, I have fished for white perch for a couple hours each morning. I'm not getting great numbers (25 to 30), due to the single bites on my Sabiki, but that day is coming. The good news is that I'm catching plenty of pound plus perch, which make great table fare.

Yesterday AM I was drifting around picking up a perch here and a perch there, when all of a sudden there were striper swirls all around me and all I had on the boat was perch gear, so they were safe for another day.

One of our former CCC members called me in the late morning yesterday and wanted to know if I was cattin yet and I told him no, that I was having my way with the perch until April. Wanted to know then if I had any bait, which I say yes to and invited him to come over and get some. Told him about my latest perch hole and told him I believed that there had to be a nice flathead in there and that he ought to try for it. He did and caught a 22 plus flathead and a 20 plus blue, plus some perch.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like my kind of bait hole!!!

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Went back out to the secert perch hole this AM and again I had my way with them bad boys. I took a small live perch and put it out on a free line back of the boat and caught a five pound flathead, a ten plus pound loon and a nice striper. Life is good right now, but come April I will be chasing the cats and I hope the good life continues.

4. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac
    It is supposed to clear up tomorrow. What do you think all of this rain will do to the fishing tomorrow

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, I don't think it will affect it at all, unless we get a bunch (rain) tonight. But, remember for it to clear off, you are going to have wind.

6. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like fun.......but no pic of the "ten plus pound loon"? I've had some near misses with ospreys but no loons. Bet that was interesting.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    No pic's of the Loon yesterday, but here are a few of the white perch.

8. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know people like to fry those perch whole like you suggest, but personally I like those large enough to filet. They are hard to beat. Imagine how much fun you could have catching them if they regularly reached the size of some of those spring run female white bass! Of course as agressive as they are Norman would likely have even less bait fish and other species!

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    That's a nice white perch Mac. Just out of curiosity, how often do you catch em that big on Norman?

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bryan, last year I did not catch any that size at all. Now I'm catching one to six, 10 to 12 inches every trip. I filleted out a half gallon bag of the big ones yesterday for din din.

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've found schools on Badin where all of them were over 12", some pushing near 15". My biggest is right at 2lb. Those are the kind you want to fillet right there. I think the most "big" perch say over 12" I've caught was 53 between me and a friend of mine in a couple hours.