This week on Lake Norman (4-29-07)

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Fished Monday with Price and showed him some good places to fish and he did the same for me. We drifted around a little bit and caught some small blues. Friday I had as my guest two fellows from New York who wanted to catch a nice one. After hitting the third hole they put one in the boat. Saturday I fished by myself and caught 9 under bad wind conditions (15 to 20 MPH out of the NW in open waters) and water temp. was 68 to 70 degrees. I used white perch for bait and fished 10 to 30 ' of water. Notice that I was picking up good bits off deep water points. Today, Cliff Compton and myself worked one of the longest deep water points I have seen on Norman. We worked it until the wind blew us off and then we headed to two different protected coves. Net results was 13 blues, largest being 14.5 pounds and a channel that weighed 7.5 pounds (what a fighter). Water temp. was 70 degrees and water depth on the long point was from 10 to 45 feet. A buddy gave me some carp to try as bait and that is what we used along with some white perch. It did not take long for the cats to tell us that they preferred the carp over the white perch. It looks like Norman is over the shock of the extra fresh water and cold front that came thru two weeks ago.

2. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I have a hard time with shad from other lakes at norman , the night before the tournament around 11:00 at night I found a cove full of small shad 3" mostly, that was a first for me at norman and did'nt get a bite on them only cut perch, The biggest blue I caught out of there ever was on a piece of cut bait from a certain type of fish . Whats going on with that lake or is it just me.:worship:

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    gearhead, I seldom use treadfin shad, but will use a large gizzard shad in a heart beat. I can not throw a net any more (shoulder comes out of place) and thus, I have to depend on white perch, stripers, crappie, blue gills, bass, racoon perch, gold fish and now carp. I and others get our fair share of big cats, medium size cats and small cats using the baits that I have mentioned. If the bait is fresh cut or vacuum sealed fresh, then you have a bait that will attrack cats on Norman. But, at times Norman lives up to its nickname "The Dead Sea" and it does not matter what kind of bait you are using during this "Dead Sea" period, which can last a few hours or days. Most likely this is not a factor and the truth is that Norman is so big (50,000 + acres and 520 miles of shoreline) that we just can't find them, even the small ones. I would suggest anyone fishing Norman bring at least three different kinds of bait if they want to be successful on this lake.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Whats going on with that lake or is it just me..."

Norman is like no other lake I have fished. Like Mac has said before, the lake will humble you. I have been in tournaments where the best catters in the state some in with 3-5 pound fish, then a few weeks later a tournament yields 20-30 pound fish. If you are there on a good day it may one of the best days of fishing you have had, if it is bad, then you will be second guessing your ability for weeks.

5. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    mac,

where u using fresh carp or frozen carp

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Norman is a large body of water and considering 15% of a body of water holds fish it can be tough to recognize and get on a pattern in a few hours fishing or even a days fishing.
    Sometimes you get lucky and other times fishing becomes too much like work.

For those large bodies of water bass fishing I always kept a log book and logged a very detailed synopsis of the weather and any changing conditions while I fished.
    I also logged my catches with descriptive detail of each catch.
    It may be of little use right at the moment because most of the useful information will be gathered sitting at home in the recliner reviewing your notes and putting 2 and 2 together.

Once you build a database on paper for a given body of water and have something for comparisons you can determine whats a fluke and what isnt more easily making it easier to pattern quickly in the future even before you get on the water to some degree.

Based on the information you have collected it also makes it much easier to plot your game plan on a map and stick with it.
    I've always done better with a plan I stuck with then running here and there , trying this and that.
    I used to always predetermine 5 spots that had some similarity wether subtle or major and had a 6th spot that was off the chain of the way I was thinking.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Mark J., I started keeping a log book for stripers in 1986 and later started adding my catfish data. Items I included : surface water temp., cloud cover, wind speed and direction, moon phase, barometer readings, type of bait, method of fishing, etc. Also, when I hear another good fisherman say that he caught so and so close to a certain marker, etc. I take note of that. Now with GPS it is even easier to mark spots and the data recorded on your GPS includes time and location, plus some other good stuff. If fishermen would do this, even on their home lakes, I beleive it would pay off for them.

8. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    well the way i find a good spot is go around to see what people are catching on the bank like right now i know aspot on high rock where crappie are biting like no tommorrow so fri evening ill go set up for cats and use crappie as bait. or if i find a spot where i know some other fish are bedding ill go there and use the bedding fish as bait