This was the biggest fish I caught last year

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ssskinner27, Feb 26, 2009.

1. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I have 4 stripers and 1 lake trout. This was at Raystown and I let 2 real big stripers get away 1 spit my hook and the other pulled the line from the hook. Guides fault.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Nice catch.

3. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    Nice fish !

But I thought only rednecks carried fish in the house!? :wink:

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    You used a guide then? how did you catch them? how do they compare against a big cat?? Was it day or nice-fishing??? I'd love to hear the details...

the only stripers I've ever caught were small 21-22"...

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing the pics that some nice looking stripers you all caught I bet that was a fun catch.

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Gotta love Raystown, They have some nice strippers in there. Nice fighting fish too.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Pip,

The Susky Flats season is just around the corner! The one in my avatar was caught last March on cut herring in the Northeast River, MD.

I think Raystown is the only lake in PA that they are viable. The ones out here like the Blue Marsh, The Nock, Galena, Wallepaupack all stink for stripers.

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I think that West PA has some good populations...
    I've caught small strippers in lake shenango and lake arthur.

Lake arthur in particular has a good repetition for strippers and has very large population of alewives. with all that food, I think Lake Arthur may hold some true giants.

Just because giant strippers are routinely caught, doesn't mean some places don't have very healthy populations of them, strippers are open water fish that like to feed on open-water alewive schools. I think, like musky, that despite a lot of pressure strippers in particular are tough to target and are therefore present, in trophy sizes in many places.

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    i'll be heading down to the lower potomac for the strippers again in March. got into them pretty good last year. Have a couple friends that head to Raystown for them, seems they can't get enough of them up there.

Getting close to that time when cabin fever will be over. I might venture out Saturday to blow the dust off the reels.:wink:

10. Very nice catch! I got to get my sorry ass out there and check out Raystown. Never been there.

11. My brother nailed a 16" striper on the Skuke last summer on a liver while catfishing in the Valley Forge area. We figured it came from Blue Marsh. I don't think it came up the new fish ladder from the Delaware.

12. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    We caught them on alewives we were trolling at about 1-2 knots with six lines out 4 off the back and 2 on planer boards when we came over a spot on the sonar that the whole screen was completely black with fish and the guide said get ready this doesnt happen very often I mean the fish were jumping everywhere and all of the sudden 4 of our rods bent in half we caught all of those fish in 5 minutes. Of the first set of hits we hooked four fish. Everyone else got theirs in and mine still was running like hell the fish got near the boat to where we could see him and the dumb ass guide didnt ne him before he made his last run and pulled the line from my hook the guide said the fish was at least 40lbs I believe him I way 250 lbs and I had a welt on my stomach from this fish after about 20 minutes of fightin. He looked to be over 30" and that is a small guess. It was daytime. 6:30 in the morning At the right place at the right time. I also hooked another 1 about 2 hours later after no more bites and it almost pulled me in it was much bigger he instantly called his boss who is sparky price the guy that holds the record and told him he thought we hooked the big one but he ran straight to the bottom and spit my hook before I could turn him. So I never caught a flathead but if a flat fights harder than the second fish I caught then they fight real hard cause this thing was two to three times harder than a big hard running carp. So if flats fight more or equal than I am in

13. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Oh yeah I forgot the fish on the far right is what the guide called a bull head striper he said there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of catching a striper with a head like it has take a close look at it and you will see what I mean He also said I was crazy if I didnt mount it cause it is so rare to catch one with a head like that? I dont know if he was bull shittin but I believed him the fish looked way different in the head

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice Stripers Randy! :cool2: Thanks for sharing your trip and pic!

15. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey Randy. How did you like the guide service you used? was it an overall good trip, you think it was worth the money? My dad and I are looking into going out to Raystown for a weekend to do some fishing and are looking for a good guide service. If you thought it was an overall good trip, would you mind giving me their contact information (if you already posted it and I missed it, say so... I may just be an idiot :smile2:)

16. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    The name of the guide service is Trophy guide service the owners name is Sparky Price and he is the one who caught all but 1 of the record fish out of Raystown. That really doesnt mean anything but he is a good guide and the price is like 90 bucks a person for 4 people going for 6 hours he tells me that fishing at night for them is really awesome. You want to make a trip when there is no high pressure storms for a while and the weather is stable. When there is a high pressure front it pushes the fish deep and they dont bite so take that into play and it is hard cause he books tight so you have to let him know in advance but if it is a going to be a bad day he will call you and reschedule the trip. But just google Trophy Guide service at Raystown Lake and it will come up www.[B]trophyguide[/B].com

17. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the info. More than likely he will have two more satisfied customers after this summer. I got your PM also. Thanks again.

18. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    hmmmm somehow i couldnt put out another websites name??? playing favs anyone?