This was a PM on Chumming

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Muleskinner, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    I had to share this info with you all that Benji sent me. It was all to good to keep a secret.

Originally Posted by Muleskinner
    I was reading in one of your post about a Chum bag/bucket. Will you help me out a little bit with this please? Will you define a chum bag are bucket? I am thinking maybe the bag maybe a burlao sack and you tie it up after putting the ingredients in it? The bucket I guess would be one that is sealable right? Then when your chumming an area with this. How many days are how long should it be out before you start fishing the area? How can you keep the fish from being to full of chum to bite your bait? Also when you have your chum out the one that you said was the easiest to make with the crushed corn or chicken feed. What bait do you put on your hook? Sorry for all the questions. I never been much of a catfisherman but trying to get half way descent at it. Thanks for all you previous post.

Dion Byrd

No worries brother. Thanks for the complamint on the state, my wife really loves it here; I myself liked Texas where I was born and raised. No I do not live in the mountains though The area I live in has some big hills. As for the chum itself I like this method. Get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and fill it about 3/4 way full with chicken scratch/cracked corn/deer corn (the deer corn takes alot longer to cure) add two warm beers are a packet are two of activated yeast and cover with water. for the first couple of days I would keep checking the water level so that it stays full, that corn will soak up a lot. I also keep the lid on it to keep the flies and bugs out. Set the bucket where it will get the most sun, the heat cures it. Use precaution where you place this stuff it stinks when cured. Summertime it takes about 3-9 days to cure and winter pretty much double that time. As for a bucket/bag I use an old pair of panty hose, a 3 liter bottle with holes drilled in it are a 3-4 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it. I have a few places I broadcast spread it, just throw it in the water when the fish are the most active. As for time period that depends on the water you fish. I have gone 2-3 days ahead of time to bait a hole, but usually I just chum the area out and drop the chum bucket/bag. I always use a rope so I retrieve my "trash". Hope this helps if you have anymore questions just ask.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

34 gallon bucket

That should have read 3-4 gallon bucket.

And I should have added the part about adding more cracked corn as you go so that your supply never gets so low that you have to start over.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    benj have you had any luck with blues coming into this chum?

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Sorry, I just couldn't leave this along. I have the feeling that some one is making fun of of another brothers intelligence, and I never found it one bit funny. Put your self in his place now, would you ever want to post on hear again,I think not. Dion I hope you really got a big laugh out of that because I don't think to many other people did.:sad2:

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    HUH...???:confused2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    It is risky not to take risk. If you don't take risk, risk will take you. (Archbishop Benson A. Idahosa - Nigeria)

6. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Thei is no way I would ever make fun of someone. I really do not appreciate being accused of that. If I did offend someone I apologize. I just can not understand how I did offend someone. If you will please by all means bring it to my attention. because I do promise you that was not at all planned what ever it was. I do enjoy everything that I read on here. Why would I want make fun of someone? Will you please point out what your talking about. Because what ever it was is a mistake on my behalf.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have to side with dion. I don't see any way that he is poking fun at another brother.. even re-reading the post I don't see it. Maybe it just comes back to the thing that a person who wants to see an insult doesn't even have to look for one.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I only see that dion was so greatful for the information that Benji sent him, he decided to post it on here.

The first paragraph is what Dion sent to Benji!!!

The second paragraph is how Benji responded to Dions questions!!!

Seems that you need to re-read them Brother, no one was offended, or even remotely offended!!!
    This was a very informative PM turned into a thread!!!

9. Lab Man

Lab Man New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man I guess I'm totaly lost on this one, maybe it's my intelligence that's lacking.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC Bruce!!! It isn't always like this, LOL!!! Every now and then, someone will missread a post and go postal, LOL!!! But we are one big family here and as most families do, we overlook their mistakes and go on!!!
    I am sure it was just a misinturpitation on his part nothing more!!!

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Phillip.We are pretty loose on here.We are all brothers and friends and act as such.I personally think that Benji is one of the finest people that I have ever known.I would fight for him with my dieing breath "for real" if needed.I have never seen where he needed help as he handles himself pretty good.He probably would have got a kick out of and laughed had someone asked him "how do you tote that 34 gallon bucket"?I laugh many times every day at a old man that is crippled,retarded due to medication and dying.I laugh at me and I expect others to laugh with me about me.Much of my life is now comical and it helps me make it every day.I thank you as you meant well and you stood up for what you thought was right.You are also a friend and brother if you chose to stay.You said what you thought was right.You meant well,so you done good.Yea! we laugh with and at each other at times,but it is done with love and respect.peewee-williams

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Bruce. Dion I want to thank you for a well written reply on chumming. You did open my eyes and made my arm hurt thanking about that 34# bucket. Ha. I have a slogan that I think applies to this site Pee Wee. How does this sound. WE OPERATE AS WE COOPERATE.:big_smile:

13. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Honestly I did not even think about a 34 pound bucket. I knew what he was talking about. Actually I just went on over it like it was a typo which it was. As I had said earlier I wasn't even trying to have fun. I was being serious. Now that you have pointed that out i see it. Oh well I guess it all will be okay one of these days. Lets just forget about that and go Catfishing haw bouts?

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

When I have used this on Santee it pulls in a kinds of fish. My best guess is that it draws the bait fish and the sound of them feeding pulls the catfish in to the area.

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks to all who "had my back", so to speak THANK YOU. I don't know if Dion are myself were being "accused" of making fun of someone's intelligence. Like some one said there were two parts to that post and if I am asked a question I will try to give as complete an answer as I am able to. Dion I don't see where you are I were being insulting to the other unless my second post, the corrections, were concieved that way.

16. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Looks like my toung has goting in the way of my brain again. I am very sorry for mis judgeing you Dion, on Benji, and his chumming post, it just hit me the wrong way, but after reading your Pm this morning. It's me that should be hanging my head in shame And I need to apologize to you and all the members on the BOC. and I will try and be a little more sevil from now on.
    catfish slick

17. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Aint no shame in recognizing a mistake ! It's not the mistake that gives shame. It's what a person does or does not do about it that does.

You got my respect for coming forward and admitting to a small misunderstanding.

I'm sure that Dion and Benji won't hold nothing against you because you made an error. They seem like those kind of folks to me.

18. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Dion, thanks for passin' on the info. Benjii, thanks for helping out a fellow brother. And Phillip, thanks for admitting you were mistaken. Lot of folks wouldn't have done that.

The corn chum works great, but it is illegal to use in some states for chum. If this is a problem for anyone that wants to try Benjiis methods, just substitute the corn with cotton seed meal. You can buy it by the 50 pound bag at feed stores for 5 or 6 bucks. It sours just like the corn and will really draw in the cats.

Good luck!!!

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Gooboy, that is a valid point you made about the corn and cotten seed, thanks. Another quick and easy chum if you have soggy bait/extra bait left over is to grind are chop it up then freeze it in 1,2,3 litter bottles when you get to where you want to fish tie a rope around the bottle neck punch some holes in the bottle and drop it in.

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    has anyone used chopped shad or rotten shad to chum? this weekend was using some dough bait and hooked(in the back) about 15 shad that are over 10". I froze them cuz did not have a use for them at the time. well all except one, i used him for cut bait. A big shad makes lots of little fillets!!!!

I also read that frozen shad doesnt work that well. Any suggestions?