THIS THING IS FREAKIN' HUGE!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by iabowhunter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Waiting for me at my front door was my new Penn 309M. I opened up the box and there it was. The bigest dang baitcaster I have ever seen in my life. This thing is HUGE! I put it on my Berkley Glowstick to have a look at it. Looks nice but I think I bought too big of reel. I played around with it for a bit and decided that it will take some getting used to, figuring out what lever or button does what.

No, I did not read any directions...I'll do that later.:big_smile:

I might send this one back to catfish connection and exchange it for a 209 or a different model Penn.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Phil I replied to this post in the Iowa section:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Exchange it for an Abu Garcia. You won't be disappointed.
    Bill in SC

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    A Penn 220GTO would be a a good choice, or a 310GTI would be an even better choice for a little more money. The 309 is just too big for most of us freshwater folks.

5. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Hey,who knows...Phil ya just may need it some day, lots of baby submarine's in these rivers an lakes...I've have felt the pull and some of them are really strong..........:cool2:

6. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    You might have to winch you car or truck out of a mud hole sometime..............lol:smile2::eek:oooh:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Directions, We dont need no stinkin directions! LOL

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    These are big, but tough.... Great reel for a big rig, flathead setup. I have one on a 10 ft surf rod I use in the winter when the big ones are biting. They cast better than you might think... The 209 is just as tough, but smaller. Everyone really should have at least one 309. These are excellent trolling/drifting reels as well...

9. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Bill...I have an Abu Black Cat and love it. Sweet reel. I wanted to try out a Penn baitcaster. The Abu is a lot smoother reel in my opinoin. I have zero complaints with Abu Garcia reels.

Gary...I'll check out the GTO and GTI. Thanks.

Rupert...I like the way you think brother!

Shane...Maybe even winch a deer out of a creek bed this fall. LOL

Mike...AMEN BROTHER!

Can you imagine the looks I'd get fishing a small Iowa river with a winch mounted on a 7 foot glowstick?:smile2::smile2:

10. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Just tell them the same thing I tell people that walk by on the bridges

they ask what are you fishing for, my reply to that is SHARKS!! alot of them look at my rod n reels, then in the river, then back at me, I think a bunch of them believe me, and the others think im crazy LOL!

11. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    A good friend of mine has a 309. It's a workhorse. I have a 9M. It's 22 years old and works as good as new.

12. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    LOL...wonder if I could keep a srtaight face when I say that.

When they ask what I'm fishing for I'm going to tell them....."bait!"

13. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Phil that 309 will work just fine in that big river you got back there at Burlington. The 209's is basically exactly the same except it holds less line. The 109's are smaller and some people really like them but there is a problem with them IMO the handles spinn with every cast and they are not like the others..the 109's have two little knobs on their handle. The best offer I think what you are looking for is the Penn 9. Exactly like the two elder brothers 209 & 309 except smaller version. The handle is just like the other two, casts like the other two, again does not hold as much line as the other two, but it is a level wind built Penn tuff and you can fish it any where you can fish an Abu. I can't speak for the brand new reels because unlike the Abu's all my reels are at least 15 years old. I collect repair and restore 209's and I have several from the late 50's that I fish with all the time. ALL metal drive gears, just down home barn burner's. Good Luck!!

Don

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Phil, I have a 309 spooled with 30 lb big game line that I use for big flatheads. I usually cast out a big Bluegill on a big float or sinker rig on the bottom. It casts fairly well for such a big reel. Spooled with the right line .....there isn't anything that swims in fresh water that you couldn't catch on that reel! I also have a Penn 9 and a Penn 200 Surf master without the level wind. It casts really far in the right hands. Just not mine......LOL. :big_smile:

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I HAD a 309 i didnt like the slow gears it had and the size was a little big but not too bad. id probally still have it if it didnt reel in so slow.

16. adamnmisty

adamnmisty New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    i want one, i want one, lol heard thet are the best you can get:wink:

17. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You will get alot of "opinions" that's a forsure, there are people that get a 15$ reel that they love and swear it's the best reel ever, when in fact it may be thier 2nd reel they have ever owned

18. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I'm keeping mine. The thing is built like an M1 battle tank.

I figure it's better to have to much and not need it then to have to little and need more real bad.

19. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I don't have any 309's, but I do have four 209's and four 9's and wouldn't trade them for anything! As iabowhunter said they are built like a tank! I fished with ABU's for years, they are what I learned on to cast with when I was a kid. Great reels! I have two shimano tekota 600 I'm going to sell to a buddy of mine! I just love the Penn's! For years thought they were ugly and junk! Boy was I wrong! :cool2:

20. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Now that you have your flathead/bait (love that!!) reel, if you want to try out a real "casting" Penn casting reel, look out for a Jigmaster or Squidder on Ebay. The Squidder will cast like nothing else, and is still built like a tank... The Jigmaster is a bit bigger than the Squidder, but still casts a mile.. The Squidder has bearings, hence they fetch higher prices.

Like I tell my 6 yr old daughter all the time... you can't have too many reels or rods! (That drives my wife nuts!)

Let us know when that 309 hauls in a big one!