This Sucks So Bad...

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Cattoo, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    got an email from a buddy of mine yesterday said he had been fishing over at cannelton l&d and there were some drilling trucks over on the sandbar. he said he talked to some folks and apparently these rigs were drilling into the soil to see if it was solid enough to put a building on, a freaking power plant!! if this happens, my favorite fishing hole in the entire world will be gone! i don't know what i will do if this happens. my life will never be the same.:0a4:

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    This kinda reminds me of a good ol' song:

When I was a child, my family would travel
    Down to western Kentucky where my parents were born
    And there's a backwoods old town that's often remembered
    So many times that my memories are worn.

Well sometimes we'd travel right down the Green river
    To the abandoned old prison down by Adrien hill.
    Where the air smelled like snakes, and we'd shoot with our pistols

But empty pop bottles was all we would kill.

Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel
    And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
    Well, they dug for their coal 'till the land was forsaken
    Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

And daddy, won't you take be back to Muhlenberg County
    Down by the Green river where Paradise lay
    Well I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
    Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away.

Sorry shame...:sad2:

3. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    That sucks! Doesn't look like there would be enough room there for a power plant since it's not very far across to the creek there. They surely wouldn't put a building on top of the sandbar since the high water mark is at the top of the steep bank. Of course there are a lot of fish caught around power plants all the time. That is if they don't restrict access by boat.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    My father was born and raised outside bowling green Ky, a little place called Reedyville... Went back there a few years ago and where there used to be a little stock pond that I spent many many hours catching bullheads on grasshoppers...there is an oil field tank farm.......... SOB!!!:cry:

5. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    I worked at a place that had lots of land there were going to build on in the future. On the land was 2 big lakes, that hadn't been fished in years. They told me I could fish them if I wanted but that they didn't think there were any fish in them. The first time I fished them I was blown away by the size of the fish I was catching, "huge bluegills". One day I was casting a 2in shad lure that I had been catching these gills on when something knocks the ---- out of the lure. It's a huge bass and it runs right in to a downed tree. I go to a near by barn and grab an old jon boat and head to the tree. I follow my line around the limbs and then I fill the fish still on the hook. I unhook the bass and lift it up, I'm shocked to see it's 14+lbs. As I get it over the jon boat it flops out of my hands and back in the water. I fished there for 2 more years everyday trying to catch it again. One day I come in to work and hear heavy equipment, I go over to the lakes to see them push in the last of the dirt. Both lake gone......, That bass was a state record and now it's gone......
    I had caught a 9lb. 8oz bass and it would have fit in the larger ones mouth.
    So I fill your pain

6. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    not only would it restrict bank access but boat access would most likely be denied as well.

7. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Just hope for the best. It's my favorite fishing spot too! I'm there just about every weekend. Me and my brother would be lost without Cannelton.:angry:

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Progress isnt always good to everyone. We have several power plants in my area, and we get bait year round and you can fish by boat. They used to say no anchoring in the hot water diacharge but I have seen a lot of people do it.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Hope they dont build it there buddy.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My favorite catfish spot back home was ruined in the same manner. The river hit a dam and the damn was half spillway and half was old non-working hydroelectric. The river split in two behind the damn. there were big boulders behind the spillway and where the river came back together there was a bunch of big boulders and logs. The hydroelectric side was pretty much a smooth bottom, but the fish were in there. Caught a ton of flatheads there. Great spot and the blocked off the hydroelectric side and in the process caused too much water to flow over the spillway so it's pretty much unfishable now unless it's in a drought.