This story almost makes me want to quit fishing..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by harper81, Sep 24, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    So the other day at work I was talking with a guy that goes fishing quite a bit. He mainly fishes stripers and never catfish. He told me that an occasional catfish will grab his lure so I ask what he does with him and he said he just throws them back. So I told him to keep them when he gets them and I will take them. So I get a call today from him and he said he had a few fish if I wanted them. I asked what they were and he said a couple stripers and one big cat and one small cat. Well I go over there to pick them up expecting maybe a 10lber oh how wrong I was. He opened the cooler and there lies a 22# blue cat. I just shook my head and told him next time just let ones that big go. I am going to use the meat for a fish fry in a few weeks so thats good, but I would rather that fish still be swimming. But the part that makes me want to quit is I go out at least once a week if not more and never get anything in the neighborhood of 22#'s. He goes fishing for a completely different species and gets a 22lber. Makes me wonder how much luck is really involved with this sport because it seems I have none.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Some people do seem to have that magic touch when it comes to fishing, or dumb luck if you want to call it that.

I've been out some nights and gotten skunked or didn't catch a fish over 5 lbs and somebody posts a report on that local forum with pics of a 60lb fish they caught.

The best thing you can do is keep going out there fishing. Can't change your luck sitting at home. Then maybe one day somebody will be saying the same thing about you!

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    My thought is that he is fishing the baitfish and targeting stripers, but the cats are after the same bait. You might try watching the birds and target catfish. You will probably land a striper or two also.

Jim

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Don't say you are having no luck because you are.... it's just bad! I feel your pain. I have two buddies that fish with me all the time. One has a 32 and a 38.... both caught from shore AFTER I had dropped him off and the other guy got a 47 and a 51 this year.... My biggest.... 12 lbs this year.... Ah well, I have enjoyed the serenity..... :wink:

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lets see 10 grand for boat, 500 for tackle and miscellaneous for a 10 pound cat hmm even with republican math $1050 a pound priceless:wink: Hay Shawn we can go dutch when us and the Missus's go out to eat!!!

Republican fishing $400 bucks for boat , motor, trolling motor, 2 zebco ultra lights, cane pole, find our own crawlers = $465 bucks 100 pounds of cats, bluegill, and bass for the deep freeze = $4.65 a pound.

Anyway back to the topic on the guy fishing for stripers maybe you should go out with him watch his techniques. He is doing something right to catch cats.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I fail to see the humour Will.... First off, just like a Republican, your facts are off.... My motor was $10,000.00.... but, Out of that $1500.00 per pound we have to support those without, medicine for those tenants without medical cards, the fish are given to low income housing.... You get the idea.... BTW, Republicans don't like to spend on others, they LOVE to spend on themselves ;)

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ouch Shawn!!! Okay when we come to visit Ill spring for dinner and drinks for you and your Missus just to show me my heart is in the right place!!

8. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    4 bucks a pound is what the grocery store price is so your breaking even and having a good time. jsharper hit it on the head. Catfish will follow striper and baitfish alone for that matter to eat. However, the stripers are more effective for them because they let the stripers hit and wound the baitfish and snap them up when the drift below. So find the stripers hitting the baitfish and fish below them you'll do pretty good.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    This story rings too true. 10 grand for my boat, another grand for tackle and gear, another grand fixing the truck up to tow said boat, and hundreds of dollars in gas driving two hours to my fishing hole every other week. Biggest fish for all this effort - 13 lbs! (Although I'm still very proud of that fish)

Hoping I can up the poundage soon.

10. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    maybe like was said. you should tag along with the guy.

you didn't mention if he was cosistantly catching BIG fish or if that was just one he kept for you..

I have fished many years and changing techniques many times. I have tried alot of hints from the members here and it al helps. maybe change parts but in the long run I am always happy with my fishing trips..

I have caught many nice cats (8-20 lbs) on daredevil spinners in our Red River in ND. fishing for northerns in spring and fall..

keep slinging away.. they are there..

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah! See if he will post what exactly he was doing. We could all use an extra idea.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, but think of all the crappie/bass/walleye fishermen us catfish guys have aggravated over the years throwing for bait and catching trophy sizes of those species in the cast net:smile2:

It happens. From what I've read about striper fishing it's very similar to drifting for blues. Makes sense they'd hit a good blue every now and then.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    If I EVER sat down and figured out the cost per pound of the few fish I keep, I'd probably take up a cheaper hobby. Like collecting diamonds!

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Now I did not read all the other post. But sounds like you need to watch him or fish with him while he is striper fishing. As they do hold along the same spots. And I bet if he is using live bait that is part of it.
    Also not a good reason to stop. AS its not luck he is just fishing in the right spots.
    Pete

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I had a similiar situation last week. I was bank fishing at night and 2 guys in a bass boat were asking people if they wanted a fish, I asked them what it was and they held up about a 20-25 # flathead. I asked if it was still alive, I was going to let it go, but it was dead. They kept it because they were bass fishing and didn't want to catch cats. Wonder how they would like it if I had a bucket full of bass i was using for bait.
    Chip

16. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Bummer. Hate to think that fish might have gone to waste. You should have asked them where the good bass holes were, because you needed some more good bait.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't stop fishing cause the other man has blind stupid luck.............This year has been good for my girl and bad for me but U gotta love it.
    To respect our enviorement is a heavy weight upon all of our shoulders.

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I understand exactly how you feel...minus having a boat that I paid hard earned money on. All I can do is explain why I go fishing. I go to be alone a lot. I guess it gives me time to evaluate my life in a peaceful setting. I go because it gives me the chance to watch nature and its beauty. I go because it gives me time to relax even though I'm chopping wood or lugging my tackle. I go because I get to think of good old memories that are normally forgotten. I go because I can talk to the family and friends whom have passed and tell them how much I love and miss them and if a tear runs down my cheek I just wipe it off and don't worry who saw me. I go because when no one is around I get to act like a little kid again, like jump in the water and swim around or turn some rocks over to see what's under it. I go because I get to spend time and teach my children about respecting nature. But my main reason is because I feel closer to my "higher power" and it gives me the chance to realize how lucky I am and thank him among his creation. I've been hunting a big cat for 32 years now and finally got a 20# a few weeks back. I know your fed up now but it will pass. I hope these things help ya out a little bit. Don't give up brother, there is a biggin out there with your name on it, I'm sure of it. I hope you feel better.

19. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Lets see my boats been paid for for several years. Cost for every trip about 50 bucks. Catfish in store 4 bucks a pound. Only got to catch 13 pounds to break even. But who really cares happines is priceless. Compared to othe activities even if I figure the cost of my boat it would still be cheap.

20. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    If the guy was fishing for striper, he was probably fishing below a dam, because that's where stripers can usually be found. That is also where big catfish gather! The guy isn't just lucky, sounds like he knows what he's doing.I fish for catfish below dams and I consistently catch catfish between 10 to 25 pounds on artificial bait and occasionally if I'm lucky I'll get into some stripers. The smallest catfish that I usually catch are still about 5 pounds. If you live near a dam, I would highly recommend that you try fishing there. I will say this though, dam fishing takes lots and lots of patients. When you are first learning to fish below a dam with fast moving water, it's not uncommon to snag up and have to break your line, like one out of three casts.