This stinks!!!!

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jerseycat9, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I live 2 seconds from the boat ramp at Balus creek on Lanier and decide since the water is coming up I get me a boat LOL Well as luck would have it they closed the ramp now I have old federal and thats sure to close soon to!!! We need some danged rain:crazy::confused2::embarassed::sad2:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I hear ya. Small ponds and what not are dryin up around here also. Lucky to have the river as close as it is. Good to see ya,:wink:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry about the news, hopefully it will rain soon

4. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You have a boat now? Cool!! And congrats!

Is it really a rain problem with Lanier? Or a mis-management of resources by the DNR? Allatoona is full isn't it?

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Rain would help for sure, but the Metro ATL area causes most of Lanier's problems, they suck that lake down fast. ATL loses an average of 55 million gallons of water a day due to bad infrustructure (leaking pipes and water mains, etc.) This figure is the difference between what is pumped out of the lake and what actually passes through water meters and is billed. The Corps of Engineers gets a bad rap, but they have to maintain minimum flows to dilute the Metro areas sewage so some water quality can be maintained downstream. The drought we are having now is really no worse than the one we had in the 80's, but the metro area keeps growing and pulling out more and more water every year. Atlanta has the worst population to watershed size ratio of probably anywhere in the country, there are just too many people and places depending on Lanier's water. Hopefully we will get some significant rain soon and the lake level will come up, but these problems will only get worse unless the ATL area makes changes concerning water supplies and usage. I hope you get to use your boat a lot before they close the other ramps, sorry for the ramble.

6. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good info!

Why is Allatoona full but Lanier like 17 feet down?

7. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Get a yak! I can launch my yak from any ramp on the lake, even if its closed, just walk it down and I am off!

Some of the benefits of fishing from a kayak are: no gas, cheap to buy, its a stealthy fishing machine, and you get a good workout! Not to mention the thrill ride u get when you hook a big fish!

I also feel your pain watching the lake go down, I am on lanier once per week, it looks worse each time. There are simply too many people that rely on this lake for water and not enough supply of rain right now. Hopefully as the water reached a new record low this summer many ramps will be extended.

8. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I think alatoona filled up because it is a lot smaller than lanier. It too will probably go way down this year again.

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Allatoona's watershed is larger than Lanier's and the lake is smaller than Lanier. Rainfall from a larger land area drains into Allatoona compared to Lanier, and since Allatoona is smaller it fills up faster. Also, a lot more water is pumped from Lanier for drinking water, etc. than is pumped from Allatoona, and Lanier loses more water to evaporation because it is a larger lake. Not smart to have a big lake and a big city on a little watershed.

10. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Jersey, just leave a little sooner and go to wahoo

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Heck yeah buddy:wink: Let me know a couple days in advance if ya can get the day off we can hit the lake and do some striper fishing:cool2: They are about the only fish I can still catch on instinct alone down here:smile2: Cause catfishing has been rough for me this year. I went over to the bridge tonight for 5 hours and came up with 5 white cats and 1 channel:embarassed: I was looking to put some in the fryin pan but those white cats from lanier have a foul taste :eek:oooh:

12. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Man, I hear that! The white cat invasion this year is ridiculous! I hope they aren't hurting the channel cat population. You can tell right away when it's a dang white cat too when they hit... and somehow manage to swallow circle hooks which a channel never does.

I've never eaten the white ones either, but then again I throw back 99.9% of my channels too. I've never even seen a striper in Lanier yet.

Here's that unlucky .1% of the channel cats ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hey baby,
    Im gonna heat the grease. Cat fish nuggets sound good!:smile2:

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I was at the Corps of Engineers public meeting on West Point Lake levels last fall. Major Payne from the Mobile office was there and informed us that the C.O.E. plan was to use Lake Laniers water first since it is at the top of the chain. He said they would'nt start dropping lake levels downstream until Lanier was at rock bottom. It looks like they are sticking to that plan because West Point Lake is almost full and rising.

15. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I sure wish I lived closer to West Point, or any other body of water then Lanier!

16. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Lanier is mostly a striper and spotted bass lake. To my knowledge it never has been much for cats of any kind.

17. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G

mmmm looks tastey