Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like there is not much going on in the way of catfishing. Thought I would share a story from yesterday. Went to a small creek that is in a corn field not too far away from a lake. Maybe 100 ayards away. There is a bend in the creek and the water is a little deeper there. Meaning, you cant see the bottom. Anywhere else on this creek and its too shallow for throwing a net. Anyhow, my second cast I could tell there was some fish in the net. Thought maybe I had a turtle or something. Ended up pulling out a 8 pound channel cat. Also, caught about 3 one pound crappie. And yes, I did throw them all back. Never got a shad. Ended up with only 2shiners for my efforts. Did have some nice gills and sunfish. Again, I threw them back as well. I worry they may all die though. This creek gets really dry and the forecast only has a slight chance of rain this week. Gonna go back later this week and try for some shad. A couple weeks ago I got two out of there.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
When the flathead guys start hitting it hard now, the post numbers will increase....
I've just now started to stock the bait tank with gills, and spent all weekend getting skips and shad for the freezer.
These smokin' hot days will finally get the water temp up enough to make the flattie fishing worth while at night.
I don't know where the heck all the hard-hitting blue cat guys went this year?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Bill Im still here I just dont have a boat together right now so I dont have much to say! Ive only been on the river a about 4 times this year and all except one tour. we have been just floating the river with the structure scan laying down new marks that will hopefully pay off here at some point. Ive found about 50 new spots on the river that I would have never known where there without the side scan. By the way, I found several of them that look like they would be awsome flatty spots for you. Also every time ryanM, shad man, steve and I have tried to go to the river it has been way up. It seems that there are allot more people catching allot of big fish this year. Hopefully we can get some fish to talk about this weekend. The weather should really warm the river and NO RAIN so it should get down near pool. Also Ryan Moran had his baby boy sunday! A 7 pounder!

·
Registered
906 Posts
my past two trips to the wabash has put flatheads in the boat, largest only being around 10 lbs, but they were hitting, last saturday my buddy had a brute hooked up for a short battle befor comming unbuttoned, this came a little while befor i landed that blue.
live gill is what he was useing, so i assume it was a big flathead.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i fished down in edwardsport on the white last saturday night and caught over 20 cats that night. only 4 flatheads and two decent blues and got hammered by the channels. going to give it another go this saturday and hopefully will have some bigger flatheads.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
There arent gonna be alot of posts, aint alot of catchin goin on. Lots of water and debris in the rivers. With the Wabash jacked up, my blue fishing is on hold for a while, she hit 16.5' today (flood stage starts at 14' in Terre Haute). Turtle Creek was a bust for flats this past weekend. Water temp down there was just shy of 80 degrees, I suspect the T/C flats may be starting to spawn, so it's gonna be hit and miss for a while.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hey man, if you can use my Tracker you're welcome to it.... I still need to get tags on it, I never use it- I just dropped 500 bucks in the motor in 08 and over a grand on the interior etc.
Man that is a real nice offer. I appriciat it. But if I had a boat here I would never get the big boat done or anything else. I was trying to elliminate destractions around here so I could get something done. Heck cant do that, as of this sunday Allison (my daughter will have played or practiced softball) 14 straight days. That is with 2 different teams.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yep, everything is jacked up right now! Rain was great until like the 3rd straight week then it was way to much! I was out last Thurs and caught a couple 20 pound flattys while the river was about as high as it could be and i could still fish the bank. It was like mud wrestling with flattys which is always great! Friday would have been awesome fishing, but we ended up with 2+ inches of rain in a handful of hours and well that just sent her way over the top. Water has been droppin' real slow, another couple days and i can get back out and i'm thinkin' should be some good fishin then. I have been reduced to trout fishing been catching plenty of those, enough for about 10 stamps worth to bad it don't work like that though, five just ain't enough, i could eat them bad boys everyday. Last night i couldn't take and tried to get my fix with some channels and it just wasn't the same plus that water was screamin and probably more trouble than it was worth. I definetly tore more stuff up than it was worth for channels, they were biting great though, caught about as many as you could hope to catch, but they still ain't no flats.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Bill Im still here I just dont have a boat together right now so I dont have much to say! Ive only been on the river a about 4 times this year and all except one tour. we have been just floating the river with the structure scan laying down new marks that will hopefully pay off here at some point. Ive found about 50 new spots on the river that I would have never known where there without the side scan. By the way, I found several of them that look like they would be awsome flatty spots for you. Also every time ryanM, shad man, steve and I have tried to go to the river it has been way up. It seems that there are allot more people catching allot of big fish this year. Hopefully we can get some fish to talk about this weekend. The weather should really warm the river and NO RAIN so it should get down near pool. Also Ryan Moran had his baby boy sunday! A 7 pounder!
Bill not much to write about today, did go to the river however. We only caught 12 fish today, only caught 3 after 9:30am biggest fish was 25 with one more about 20'ish. Most of them where 7-10#'s. I told you I would post so I did. Hope this makes you HAPPY. Sorry didnt take any pictures to post. Good luck in your story search. I prob. wont be back on the water for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Bill not much to write about today, did go to the river however. We only caught 12 fish today, only caught 3 after 9:30am biggest fish was 25 with one more about 20'ish. Most of them where 7-10#'s. I told you I would post so I did. Hope this makes you HAPPY. Sorry didnt take any pictures to post. Good luck in your story search. I prob. wont be back on the water for 2 weeks.
Two weeks? they ought to be spawning about by then shouldn't they?
12 fish ain't bad at all- especially with 20 pounders in the mix.
I'll finally be starting my flattie season off this week, It's been a long wait this year.
I'll try to hit it hard up to the spawn.... now-days, with all the fishing pressure in this little river if you want to get to the mosters without a jet, you have to make an all night ramp to ramp trip - a pain in the ass, and dangerous at night... which mean I'll be fishing more often by myself, and taking pics of fish on the floor of the boat. lol

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hey Bill, if your wanting to catch monster flatties from the white river.. I've got the perfect spot for ya! Dont let this get out to too many people, but right before you get to the ramp, turn left. small pond there and its filled to the brim with flatheads from the white river. Best of all, no need to worry about the spawn! Those flatties dont spawn anymore, they have already done their fair share of producing eggs.. Good luck! Be sure to take one of those 30' rods, and cast all the way across the lake till you hit the other bank! Oh, and its better if you use one of those rod holders that beep annoyingly every time the wind blows! Plus, you can catch 30# fish on chicken livers! Imagine that! .99 cent tub of livers.. and here weve been wasting time CATCHING bait...

Thinking back on it, I should've taken my record flatty up there! hell they probably would've gave me $20 for it!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Hey Bill, if your wanting to catch monster flatties from the white river.. I've got the perfect spot for ya! Dont let this get out to too many people, but right before you get to the ramp, turn left. small pond there and its filled to the brim with flatheads from the white river. Best of all, no need to worry about the spawn! Those flatties dont spawn anymore, they have already done their fair share of producing eggs.. Good luck! Be sure to take one of those 30' rods, and cast all the way across the lake till you hit the other bank! Oh, and its better if you use one of those rod holders that beep annoyingly every time the wind blows! Plus, you can catch 30# fish on chicken livers! Imagine that! .99 cent tub of livers.. and here weve been wasting time CATCHING bait...

Thinking back on it, I should've taken my record flatty up there! hell they probably would've gave me $20 for it!
lmao- push my buttons won't cha- I can't decide whats higher on my :poop: list; that paylake or those poaching Mexicans trashing the river!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
lmao- push my buttons won't cha- I can't decide whats higher on my :poop: list; that paylake or those poaching Mexicans trashing the river!
Hummmmmm I will answer that one ~> ( THIS AREA CONTAINED VERY OFFENCIVE LANGUAGE ABOUT A CERTAIN PAY LAKE AND A PATICULAR RACE OF PEOPLE THAT FREQUENT THE IPL DAM NEAR MARTINSVILLE INDIANA )

And thats all I have to say about that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.