This Sat Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Steveng79, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just recently started fishing the river. 4 trips and one 3 pounder. I am going saturday and wanted to see how the week has been. I launch at Kaw Point should I go up or down the MO from there? Skips, gills, asian carp? Deep holes behind dikes? Sand flats? I am 100% catch and release, except crappie these days, so help me out.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

I've been catching a few in the sandflats on this side of the state with live bait (mooneyes) and on asain fillets. Not sure what the water temp is over that way but over here the water temp is 75*-77*.

3. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    its a little warmer 77-79 or so. I have not fished the flats yet, how deep are they? Where are they located? I have only fished the deep holes behind the dikes.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Normally there is a sandbar behind them wing dikes, pick one and set up on the main channel side of it (if you can find one where a creek flows into the river try that too). I have anchored in as little as 4 foot of water before, but normally will anchor where I can have a line in the really shallow stuff (2-4') and the others through out the depths to the ledge of the main channel. I will give it at least an hour, hour and a half. If the fish are cruising the flats they will certainly find your bait, cause if they are in the flats they are there to eat.

5. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks a bunch Rat. I will try that for sure. So its down a little from the scour hole? The sand buids up there? Makes sense. I will try a couple flats and a couple deeper holes. I hope I find a few.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Take it easy when you're scouting the flats - most of them shallow up gradually as you get closer to the bank and the dike, but it's not unheard of to find one with 6" of water next to a few feet of water. Also, as you get closer to the wing dike the water will generally shallow up until you're very close to the downstream side of the dike.

As a rule of thumb if I want to get to the hole next to the bank across a flat I'll stick as close as possible to the downstream side of the dike. This isn't such a big concern now but it turns into one when the river is at a lower level. I've found myself high and dang near dry on the sand hump close to the dike on a flat several times when I wasn't paying attention:smile2:

7. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the help. I have been anchoring up to the dikes (the few that are not under water) and the bank. Time to take the training wheels off and try to anchor in some open water!

8. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to find a wing dike with deep water around it and then fish the flats above or below. Get just out of the current line and fish back towards the dike below you. Fish closer in the day or early evening and then move up farther on the flat with darkness. If the bait are there usually the fish will be. Getting anchored in the right spot is the big thing, a few feet off will make a huge difference. If your sinkers get sanded down you need to move a little.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Pretty much yeah. When the water gets below the dykes again the sand will build up better. They are there though.

10. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks to you all. i am getting ready to get a few gills from the pond and buy some over priced skippies, wish me luck.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Get some of them free bighead and silver carp. There hard to be in the summer time.

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    IS the river still really high? it is in iowa!

13. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hope your sat. night was more productive than ours.

14. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Got a big head in about ten seconds. Hit the side of my boat in mid jump and cracked his skull.

But for the fifth time skunked again.

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Only 5? Shoot, I think last night made 6 in a row for me:eek:oooh: Part of fishing the river, about the time you get the #$%%# things figured out, it gets cold, or the river drops, or rises, or it gets hot, and you get to start all over again. Another brief, shinging moment when you're back on them, and then the process starts over:smile2:

Don't get discouraged, the first year or two I fished the MO I thought blues and flatheads were like snipes - something somebody made up so they could laugh at me trying to catch them:wink:

16. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Branden, we blanked last night also. Only had one fish take off and missed him. Nice night to be on the river!

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    The Missouri river can be hard to figure out for sure. The first TWO years I had my boat I fished the Missouri river and N-E-V-E-R caught a fish over 5 pounds! I didn't give up though, the more time you spend on the river the more you learn.

ALWAYS try something different, a new spot, different type of water, something! Don't be afraid to fish extremely heavy current, I have caught alot of fish this year fishing 20 oz current. Another thing to look for while cruising along watching your graph, look for a "wash-board" like bottom, those blues love that kind of river floor, even if I don't mark fish and I find that kind of floor surface, I will soak my baits for a good 30-45 minutes.

Don't give up, I know it can be frustrating, believe me, we have all been there!! But when you do land a pig, it will make it all worth it!

18. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I wont give up. Although, I did not think it would be this difficult. I have fished lakes my whole life but the river is a different deal. By washboard do you mean wavey or like lap siding?

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If Bill and I are on the same page, washboard. Peaks and valleys spaced relatively close together running 90 degrees across the bottom of the river. Fish get down in those valleys as a current break and ambush point.

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just checked the river forecast in Iowa and it's not in flood stage? No the river is not high here it's dropping.