THIS REEL IS FREAKIN' HUGE!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by iabowhunter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Waiting for me at my front door was my new Penn 309M. I opened up the box and there it was. The bigest dang baitcaster I have ever seen in my life. This thing is HUGE! I put it on my Berkley Glowstick to have a look at it. Looks nice but I think I bought too big of reel. I played around with it for a bit and decided that it will take some getting used to, figuring out what lever or button does what.

No, I did not read any directions...I'll do that later.:big_smile:

I might send this one back to catfish connection and exchange it for a 209 or a different model Penn.

Any thoughts?

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I am going to show you folks at the gathering a very affective way to catch fish I call pin point ballooning, It at times takes 250+ yards of line but you will never need a boat again LOL! this is why I use such large reels and thinking about even larger ones, The 209 is also a very good choice but does not have as loud of clicker as the 309 which can be heard at very long distances. I think you will be fine with either:wink:

3. Catmandingo

Catmandingo New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a brand new 309 also and I love it. I am yet to catch anything with it but have only been out twice with it.

4. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've never used a Penn but always wanted to. Maybe I'll get one and give it a try before too long.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    We use to use the Penns 309 to snag spoonbill below Ky dam. They would hold large line and held up well under continous pressure.

6. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I swear you could put this beast on the front end of a 4-wheeler and use it as a winch! It makes my Abu look like an ultra-lite reel.:smile2:

It does look like a simple, well built fishing reel.

Steve...Sounds interesting.

Mike...How about we break in our new Penn's at the gathering.

Dave...That's the way I was. I have an Abu Garcia but wanted to try a Peen. For the price, you can't beat them.

Sounds like I'm keeping the reel.

7. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Michael...If the 309 will take a few years of spoonbill snagging it will stand up to what I'm going to put it through. Thanks for the info!

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I picked up 2 of the 309's on an awesome deal! I use them primarily for dropping off of bridges, they have some wenching power that is for sure!

However for casting situations, I am sticking to the abu's, can't seem to get my penns out half as far as my abus, and when I try I always get a damn birdsnest!

Still great reels, but they have their time and place like all reels!!!

9. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    The Abu's do cast nice. VERY NICE! It sounds like the 309 is more of a trolling reel. Maybe a GTO or GTI would work better for me. Who knows. You can never have too many rods and reels though.

10. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    An old friend gave me a 309, way too big for me I'll never use it even though I fish mainly flatheads.

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    you can try my GTI at the gathering Phil and if you like it you can give me the difference and I will trade you, It has only been used a couple times.............I lost my clicker tensioner LOL!!! got a new one on order

12. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I will buy it from you! send me a PM

13. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I'm going to hold on to the 309 and give it a shot. If I don't like it I can always sell it. It's not like I have a ton of money in it. I'm going to put some mono on it and try it out before I put the power pro on it though.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the new reel, good luck fishing

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When I bought my first Abu 7000, I thought the same thing, to big. But I use 17 lb on my 6500's, and the 7000, I have went to 25 lb, sure is nice to have that extra line capacity. I have never used Penn's baitcasters, I have a Penn 9500 spincast, nice reel. May have to give them a try.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats why i went to abus. i had a penn 309 and felt like i was fishing for a bluewhale in a 5000 acre lake. only time i used it.

sold it and my 210 on ebay and went with abus. aint no freshwater fish that a 6500 wont bring in if you have drag and fighting skills.

power pro on a 309. lmao. better have $100+ to spend. you can also spool it with mono 1/2 way first as a backer. then a blood knot and then fill with pro. then if it does run 300yards youll have mono out. but as ya reel him down youll get to the strong braid. those reels will hold 4-5 hundred yards of small diam line.:wink::eek:oooh:

17. Catmandingo

Catmandingo New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds good to me.

18. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    300-350 yards of 65# power pro is perfect on the 309 without the mono backer it tends not to birdnest as much....350yards cost me $20, Thanks for your 2 cents

19. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I was messing around with the 309 this afternoon and came across a problem. When I turn the handle the spool does not turn. I tried with the engagment lever in both positions and the clicker on and off. I can turn the spool with my thumb and the handle will spin but if I spin the handle, the spool does not turn.

Am I missing something or is my reel defective?

20. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Problem solved!!!!

Thanks Steve!

I'm keeping this beast.