This may help

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by shanelures, Jun 12, 2009.

1. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just trying to clear things up on the catch and release thing. First off everyone has a right to eat what they catch. CPR guys ain't trying to bash anyone for their habits or beliefs. I'm going to explain our views the best i can without making everyone mad or upset. Hopefully i'm speaking for most. the reason i think we should CPR on flathead or large channels is because there is more people hunting these fish everyday and to keep a 20+ flathead it would take another many years for another to grow that size. i know everyone has a thrill catching a fish that large and by keeping it, it not only is helping to destroy it for us but theirselves and the next generation too. the reason the flathead is so important is because they grow so large, to 70+lbs. I will remember the 51lber i caught the rest of my life. one of the biggest thrills i ever had. i would love for everyone to have a thrill like that. But by keeping them, someday the thrills will be gone.

As far as channels go, I believe larger quality channels should be CPR but also believe the smaller ones should be the eaters because they don't grow to be 70+lbs and they're very easy to target and are in very large numbers. if you think about it who wouldn't want to save a fishery where you could catch a 70lb fish. i think all sport fishing should be protected. not saying you shouldn't keep anything but there's so many smaller one in large numbers and easier to catch. why not throw the potential trophies back to catch another day. I'm not trying to bash anyone for their beliefs or anything, just trying to explain ours.

Thank you very much for reading and understanding,
    Shane

2. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    AWESOME post bro!!! Very very well said.

3. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

I like your post but there are 2 sides 2 everything...."trophy" fish at the end of there days have probally only been caught once thats why they are trophies....to preserve the "future of catfishing" don't make on old folks home out of a river by only takeing the "eating size" they are the future!!!!!!!!!! but I know if I ever get a grandady I would rather him be on my wall then floating down the river 2 days later cause he couldn't handle the stress....be selective on your catch and what you take home but don't say one catfish is better that the others!!!!!!! a "trophy"cat dosn't have to be a hog....I was a few ounces off the state record bullhead and it was 3lbs!!!!!!!!

4. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i totally understand. but the state record flat is over 76lbs. i dont think anyone has a chance at it if we're harvesting 20+ lbers. espesially when it takes as long as you are old to get that big. thanks for the info, i do apriciate your input on the topic. thanks, shane

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would'nt mind someone taking a once in a lifetime mount! i'm just saying we should'nt target them for food when there are so many other cats in the water, i got a great mount ,its a 8x10 framed pic of my 51 lber. thanks again shane

6. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

yeah our state record is 80lb flathead so I know they get big...but without any iron clad info on how many are out there you can't say anybody is doing good or bad.....I think they get that big because they are smart and don't go for the bait( at lest what I'm throwing out there)...but you can't just assume that they won't be here from whats happening know untill you have some proof...I can go out on a limb and say more large cats die from old age but I don't have any PROOF

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    but now,you can get a replica of the fish for what it costs to mount the real one,i believe.

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If record size fish were out there in numbers they would be landed more often!!!!!!!! How many years does it take for a monster size catfish to grow that big?

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i may have to check into that. i'd have to make a coffe table out of it and the 6lb. 22 in. bass i had mounted:big_smile:. thanks shane

10. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    amen! thank you, shane

11. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Frank, there is a difference... the small fish will always be in abundance because fingerlings are stocked every year.

Also I don't see any reason why a carefully handled fish wouldn't survive being released after being caught, I catch fish with old battlescars all the time, and catfish happen to be a pretty rugged fish, I once seen a stringer full of "eating sized" channels survive an hour and a half drive laying in the bed of someones pickup out of water.

There are places in europe with mandatory catch and release laws, those places have proven to hold MUCH larger fish than the places that don't.

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i agree

13. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree 100% thanks, shane

14. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I also believe in cpr but I do occasionally take one or two for the freezer. Anything over 5-6 and anything below 3 goes back to be caught another day.
    My wife and I fish alot and never take our limit but it is nice to have a big catfish dinner from time to time.

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio

16. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio

17. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio