This may be a long post, but I'm trying......

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Jun 13, 2008.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To keep everyone up to date in regards to my health difficulties.

Steve and I traveled down to St. Joseph, Missouri a small city about 30 minute drive South of us in Oregon,to see the Arthritis doctor. This man ab solutely :amazed::amazed me as he called me at home stateing he was told I wasn't feeling well so he wanted to know what was bothering me. In reality what's bothering me is all the flooding we've been getting lately,making it impossible for me to fish,but that's a different story.Anyway I'm in a wheelchair this morning cause my right knee is giving me fits. They wheel me in, shut the door, in comes the Doctor. He tells me that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and he really thinks I should start taking a cancer (Chemtherapy) pill for it. The pill would be low dosage but still strong enough to make my hair fall out:eek:h plus a few more side effects that were unpleasent to say the least On top of this they seem to think I have a "Sports Injury" in my right knee. I don't play sports,if I did I wouldn't look like a bloated whale. I have several other dr appointments to go to this is just to update ya all. I most warnly welcome and thank any brother or sister who has any kind of advicd.I love all of ya>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sister Pat:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Pat Im glad to see you posting again, and as for the hair thing BALD IS BEAUTIFUL:wink:

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    were still praying for ya. keep the chin up. :wink:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Get another opinion to start with, but if the worst case is the hair removing pill, and it helps your knees, then I agree with ryang, side them fishes won't care about your hair :wink: and the money you'll save on shampoo well, you can buy another fishing rod/reel outfit :big_smile: Still have ya on the list for prayers Sis Pat, and like I said, if that is the worst case, then so be it, Altho I don't have that type of arthritis, that pill does seam just a bit tough for a treatment ? I do know that the Dr. trips get old too, but I would and have gone with 2 or 3 more opinions, that is your choice, and what ever ya chose, we'll still love ya! :big_smile:

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pat,
    I not to sure on this I thick you need another opinion that sounds like tough treatment

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I'll keep you in my prayers. Keep your chin up, and seek a second opinion.

Richard

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    That rh. arthritus thing is in the same group of conditions with lupus. The doctors in Europe have been treating lupus with chemo for years and it puts it in remission for as long as fifteen years. Do some research, it may be a God send to your health after all. My prayers go out to you.

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Pat,
    If you do not mind, PM me the name of the drug and let me ask some of the Doc's at work if they have heard of this treatment. I work at a large teaching hospital in Louisville, KY and maybe I can get some info for you.I know they use forms of chemo for conditions other than cancer, just not familiar with this. I am off for 5 days (YIPEE) and when I go back next week, I will check for you... Just try to stay positive and remember your BOC family cares for you!!

Linda

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I agree with the others (Get a second opinion)
    Hey if you go bald you can always get a WIG to wear.Shucks look at Dollie Parton she looks darn good in a wig.Among other things:roll_eyes:. Just be careful in what you take.

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bald is not bad, been that way for 2 years now and love it. But I would definatlely get a second and third opion, and when I did get those opions. You might want to run by the second Dr. what the first one said, and discuss his form of treatment vs. the 1st Dr and see which will give you better results in the long run.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Our prayers go out to you and your family

12. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Sounds like a lot of good advice good luck with what ever you do Let God decide what is right

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
  14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Pat, my neighbor has the same thing and also takes the chemo pill you mentioned. She didn't lose her hair and told me herself that she feels 100% better. If a second opinion says the same, go for it and don't look back. I'll pray for ya and in the mean time, you get to feeling better.:wink:

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pat, I would for sure see another Rheumatologist before starting any treatment.
    God Bless and watch over you.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'm not a doctor so I cant give you advice about treatment. I can say Ive been shaving my head for about 5 years now. My avatar pic is very old.

17. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Pat,
    My mom has RA and 6 other kinds of arthrits ( no I'm not kidding.). Anyway, that pill may sound like a load of malarkey to you, but it did help her for a while. She didn't loose any hair at all. So don't let that stop you from getting a little relief. Please know that we are all supporting you.

Deb

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    As always you all are in my Thoughts & Prayers!!!

19. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :big_smile:Went to the doctor today for a 10:30 Am appointment. He seen the drugs they chose for me to take. He totally agreed with the Arthritis doctor that the Cancer drug taken at very low dosage is used for Rheumatoid Arthritis. He gave me Vicodene to take every 4 hours. My Pharmatist stated the dosage on the Vicodene wasn't as strong as the Percocet I was taking but could still make me fall asleep. She looked at me and said Quote Pat you don't even look like you feel goodUnQuote. I said Ann I don't. She proceeded to tell me there was a blood test that would reveal for sure if I had this problem. I told her I knew as I already had it. One Doctor said I didn't have it. The other doctor who taken 8 tubes of blood from me,well he says I do have it. Ann,my pharmatist said it is time for me to have a 3rd opinion. So today I explained to the doctor it had nothing to do with not trusting him, I just want to be really sure before I put any kind of this medication in my body.Folks I have another symptom I have a burning sensation leading me to wonder if I might also be coming down with shingles as it burns like fire every night. It's 2:30 in the afternoon and I feel it kinda warm right now. Well they're looking into getting me an appointment with Rheumatology in Kansas City. If they say I have it then of course I will agree to the medication. I just want to get to where I can go fishing again. I love everyone of you. Thanks for listening I appreciate it very much.~~~~~~~~~~~Sister Pat

20. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Old friend and buddy of mine sorry you are going thru all of this can't add much to the other advice about seeking other opions thats what will determin what you need to do.Alittle talking with the man upstairs about guiding you in the right direction sure doesn't hurt either. But knowing you you have already done that. Keep us posted we love you and are praying for you.
    Loop