This makes me sick!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by SEMOcats, May 23, 2007.

1. SEMOcats

SEMOcats New Member

State:
    Jackson, Missouri
    Yall may have already seen this but I heard about it this weekend. This commercial fisherman catches these blues and puts them in a pond for people to pay to catch! The blues only live around a year. I'm just sick!

2. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I Haven't Seen Any Thing About It. Where Did You See It?????

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I knew that it happened all the time, but I've never heard that they only lived around a year. That sucks.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ya, I have heard that I have almost got in a few fights over it. I was fishing at the dam a couple weeks ago and a guy down there was catching skips. He started talking about these tournaments he fishes. He said they were at a big private lake. Well thats where a lot of the commercial fishermen bring there fish. And they say they don't keep anything over the slot limit, ya right you know how much motive there is from those ponds to keep bigger fish than allowed by law. Whats to keep a C F from throwing a 60 pound fish in a side box on the boat and going to the pay pond and getting hundreds of dollars for it. The whole thing makes me sick. If you haven't sent an email you need to. Protest this crap. Look it up and send an email there are quite a few more people you can harrass over this.

Public Input for New Sport Fishing Regulations

5. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That fact that you'd throw a blue in a pond in the first place is BS. As we all know ,Blues are a heavy current fish, dang near part striper. To put them in a low oxygen envirorment like a pond is a death sentence.

I dont fish in a barrel, I mean those lakes. I dont know if theres a law against CF's selling to them, But i sure think these fish should come from catfish farms, not out of our rivers and lakes.

6. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Where did you think those Big Blues and shovelhead came from .They didnt grow in those lakes.Theres a big private lake here in ohio where Ive been told there a dumpster of huge dead blues and Shovels every weekend.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think the way the whole commercial fishing regulations work is pretty dumb. At least here in Missouri anyway. A commercial license is only 25 bucks and then a few per net or trotline. A gill net for 30 bucks just seems way to cheap to me. The fact that these people can pay maybe 1000 bucks and run a ton of lines and nets and pull out enough fish for an income is just wrong. The price for commerical fishing on public waters like the mississippi should be higher so that money can be put back into the river to raise more fish.

I see commercial fishing public waters almost as stealing. You are making money from something that you really did not pay for.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok well look at this in the Potomac river where i guide we are told to only eat 8 oz a month. Now i have worked with fisheries for two years and the only fish we have found anything in has been over 10 lbs. But at the same time Com fishermen last year took 450,000 lbs of catfish from the river to market. They hold the fish in a pond for 30 days and then send them to market as farm rised catfish. If we can't eat the fish in the river why send them to market for people to buy as farm rised fish. $$$$$$$$$$$

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you know i agree that the numbers of fish the guys are pulling out is a little excessive, but these people have been fishing for a profit since before time. just becuase we dont like it doesnt make it wrong. i do think there should be some sort of limit as to how much they can catch in a year, and also limit the amount of commercial licenses sold. there isnt much diffrent between a comercial fisherman and one that pulls thirty 15# cats and then give them to their friends and family. they are not making a profit off of it, but the fish are still gone. That is one reason why i am strictly CPR. as far as transferring the fish to pay lakes, the individuals selling the fish should have their boats, gear, and licenses revoked permanently and the individuals buying the fish should have thier so called "pay lakes" drained and be forbidden to operate another. that would probably help a little.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think its ok to take fish out of a river and put them in a pond. Its alright to catch fish to sell if the States limit how many they can keep. You got to look out for us anglers just fishing for fun.

11. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Yeah because us Anglers just fishing for fun provide the majority of the funding for the conservation departments.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    He's more than likely working within the bounds of the regulations related to commercial fishing in his state.

If you don't like it, find a way to get the laws changed.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'll bet you don't complain when you go to Red Lobster and order the salmon, crab legs or halibut...

14. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    There is a bit of a diiference in commericial fishing the ocean than the Mississippi. I don't know to many people that recreational fish for lobster and crab and while there are people that fish halibut not as many that fish for catfish in local rivers and lakes. And I am sure that the companies that are fishing out there pay more than 25 dollars for a license. And are regulated better than someone fishing the mississippi. As I am sure that there are alot of cash transactions legal or illegal that are never recorded, taxed etc. (you can unload a few catfish, hell even a few hundred and no one will ever know but you are not gonna unload 100,000 lbs of crab without the proper people knowing)

And I have never been to a Red Lobster, and probably do not purchase fish/seafood over about twice a year. It is overpriced and generally does not taste as good as something I catch and cook myself.

15. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    My biggest objection to commerical fishing the Mississippi is I feel that those people are taking more than they are entitled too. What they pay to do what they do compared to what an angler pays to do what he does and the amounts of fish that is harvested by the two has a very large difference in the ratio.

16. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    we need to start taking these blues and flatties out of the ponds and paylakes and release them back into the river :smile2:

17. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    The commercial license in Ky is 150$ alone then theres the extra permit space. I dont agree with selling to paylakes but I dont have a problem with commercial fishing. It happens to be a good honest proffesion for the most part. A buddy of mine pays over 1300$ a month in fuel costs alone. the reason a commercial fishermen can fish public waters is thats pretty much all they have to fish inland. Just where else are they going to fish. Here they pay easily 10x to 20x as much as a hobby fishermen to fish. They do put a big chunk of change back into the dept.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You guys might find this 5 page post from the Local Missouri Thread interesting. Deals with the "slay lake" thing. In this case, the commercial guy netting 20,000 pounds of big fish a year happens to own 2 "slay Lakes".

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46473

19. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    http://www.catfishermansparadise.com/photo.htm

Browse this site. No way they're stocking fish that size from catfish farms. They're being removed from public waterways. It's a shame to see that many big fish put into a pond the size of a football field, and then you have 200 anglers with 2-3 poles each fishing it every weekend. I don't see any sport in this at ALL.

20. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wowcatfishermans paradise is awful, I can believe that is legal. I wish I could stop it all. I have sent tons of letters, hopefully everyone else is too.