this kind of blows your mind

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smokey869, Apr 15, 2009.

1. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
  2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Dave, can't say it BLEW my mind (I hope)......but that video was surely SOMEthin'. Can't even BEGIN to respond to all the topics presented at present; I would've had to take notes.

I CAN say that I believe times were simpler (and often more difficult? :roll_eyes:) in the past.

We will roll with the changes, or we won't. Nobody really knows.

Unless I am obliterated, I'm going to do my best to roll with 'em.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    interesting,But it dont mean squat to me. I think those numbers are only pertanant to the ones that compiled them. Its amazing that we get so "into" things that are really damaging as a people these days. Did anyone ever think that the world might just be moving faster than need be? :wink:

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm informed now,, not impressed,,, You want to impress me,, build me a computer, that operates from my thoughts...:crazy:

I don't want any blue teeth, or wires plugged into me either..:smile2:

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    they already have 1 .. gimmie a beer

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Stuck in the 60s!:smile2:

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Ray, I wish we could go back there. If I had to choose, it would probably be WAY previous to the 60s....but HEY, I was a little kid then. Didn't have to deal with all this stuff, or KNOW about it. I bet quite a few folks wish for that.

HOWEVER, I DO see what is taking place at present. It's been said on this board that we'll all be "reduced" to being farmers, and making our own way. Yep, folks have jobs and once upon a time those jobs provided for them and theirs.

It may be true. Goin' back to live off the land. It's only my opinion, but I do believe folks can LEARN something from that. I KNOW that I need to.

9. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
  10. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Some pretty interesting facts there.

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For me that is not a good idea, because I have to correspond with mentally challanged individuals at work, and sometimes my thoughts are to nice while I am e-mailing. I am afraid the unemployment rate would triple if that happend.....:confused2:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Having a computer which interprets your thoughts? If I had to deal with THAT, I'd hope it would be at dial-up rate, preferably slower. :wink:

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    interesting. but i think people start relying to much on technology and forget how to do basic things everyone should know.

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I wonder how many catfish were caught in the time it took to watch that video? LOL

15. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    This realy opens your eyes to how far the world has come in tech in the last 20 years.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Gary and Tanya
    It's only a thought... I know I'd mess it up real bad...

If I had one of those,, I'd be trying to work on it ,, then forget something,, and it would crash!!
    Or ,, get frustrated with it, call it a piece of nerdy crap,, and it'd would crash..

I'd never get it Turned ON,, If I did, It'd probably argue with me...ASk me if I'm sure ,,,

Yea, I'd be horrible...

17. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    my thoughts are more like omg what is this coming to, i have enough trouble downloading a pic or anything, but the way everything is going i think im going to teach my grandkids at an early age to live without one lol, i know once its warm ill be out fishing every night and not on here thats for sure :wink:

18. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    You hit the nail on the head. It was simpler, that's for sure. I know I've become too dependent on technology. I have a cell phone, my wife has a cell phone, and I have a work cell phone. I survived for a long time without one, and without the internet.

In today's world, If I didn't have my work cell phone on 24 hours a day, I would possibly miss important information. However, is it really that important to know something immediately rather than hours later? In some cases, yes... Most cases it could wait. My secretary rarely puts any messages on my desk. If i'm out of the office she either sends me an email with the info or calls my cell phone.

When I started in Law Enforcement cell phones weren't around. We were either available by a radio, or a landlline phone number. I think in today's world, more officers are picking up the cell phone and calling a complainant to see if they can resolve the problem without making face to face contact. In some instances this might be good, but in many it leaves a bad impression to the citizen that called for help and only received a phone call.

I do believe that technology has saved lives. Before cell phones, if there was a bad accident in the middle of the night or a remote area, it would have been a much longer time period before help could be sent.

I think technology has made peoples lives too public. Could you imagine the look on your mothers face if you were to post all the things about yourself that people do today.... With myspace and facebook, it's relatively simple to find information about people.

Technology is a tool. I suppose it's all how you use it. I've adapted to it and it would be difficult to do without it. I wonder if I've adapted to it too well though....

I think we had a higher level of productivity without technology. We knew what we needed to do and we did it. Now technology is too distracting. We start one thing and someone calls or sends an email. I find myself prioritizing things and putting things off. If I went hunting or fishing, I was hunting or fishing. I wasn't waiting for the cell phone to ring for someone to tell me that I needed to do something. I just wasn't available, and the world kep on going round and round.

I have a fear that we're just at the begining of technology. I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have a work cell phone and I don't have to check my email every hour. I believe that I'll have more time to get more done.

19. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Great post. I am pretty relient on new technology too, but to a point. I could not deal with not having a cell phone and I would be hurting without the internet. Sad but true. On the other hand, my 76 Silverado and 79 Blazer get me down the road just as well as new ones and I can rebuild them from the ground up myself if need be. I do have newer vehicles but I do fine with older ones that arent loaded. I have no doubt that if I had to, I could feed my family through hunting and fishing and gardening. I could adapt without all the cool new stuff but a lot of it is so much a part of my life (including my profession) but I sure would miss it. lol

20. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Every time I go in a store, I give the cashier money, and I think, if they didnt have the cash register to tell them exactly how much change to give out could they do it? Technology is a good thing, but I think people are to dependant on it. What would happen if tomorrow we didnt have electricity? My daughter was telling me in pre-Kindegarten they have computer time? I let her play on my wifes computer, and it was amazing how she knew how to open up a webpage, (Disney). She knew exactly where she wanted to go, and how to get there.

My wife bought me a cell phone, and she tried to get me one with a keyboard, I nixed that idea, I told her I only wanted one that you can only make phone calls on it. I dont want to have to answer an e-mail or text while I am out. I really dont even want a phone. What happened to the good old days when phones were a luxury, and computers had the green glow screen? When you actually had to go and pay bills, and spend tons of money at the post office on stamps? When as a kid, playing meant you actually had to go outside, and be physically active? Work, when you were important enough you carried a pager, then you had to find a telephone? Amazing I can remember that, amazing what kind of technology has come in the last 233 years......