This just ticks me off!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by suddawg, Jul 15, 2006.

1. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Group Offers Reward In Salt Creek Fish Kill Case
    Sheriff's Offer To Help Apparently Turned Down

POSTED: 3:47 pm CDT July 14, 2006
    UPDATED: 5:19 pm CDT July 14, 2006

LINCOLN, Neb. -- A reward of up to $1,000 has been offered to help find out who killed thousands of fish in Salt Creek.

A group called Friends of Wilderness Park made the offer.

Mary Roseberry-Brown, the group president, said the reward is for the identification and conviction of whoever was responsible.

Thousands of fish died last weekend along a 10-mile section from Roca to Lincoln, including Wilderness Park. The state thinks someone illegally dumped ammonia into the creek, and investigators are awaiting test results on water samples. It is the third time in five years investigators said someone has dumped illegally into the creek.

A Department of Environmental Quality spokesman said investigators have ruled out contamination from livestock waste and from an ammonia pipeline that runs through the Roca area.

Friends of Wilderness Park 's Foster Collins said he's frustrated that law enforcement is not being included in the investigation.

"I don't know at this point what is being done. If it was an intentional dumping, then that is a criminal matter and that's something the sheriffs office would be better equipped to investigate than DEQ," Collins said.

A representative of the Lancaster County Sheriff's Office said the department offered to help, but was turned down. DEQ said it typically works with the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission on these type of investigations.

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was probley a big company tha will never get caught and if they do they will never be jailed for it just fined.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Shouldn't they do more than offer to help? I know that dumping is a crime and you can be sited for dumping. It makes me mad to that people do stupid stuff like that. I hope they find the one's responsible for that and charge them per pound of fish they killed. I think 200 dollars and one year in jail per fish plus clean up cost should be pretty fair. If it is a big company I hope they get fined and people boycott that company.

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

It sounds kind of funny that they didn't ask for the Sheriff's help in the investigation. I don't know, but I hope they get the person(s) responsible and hang them out to dry. Make an example of them.

SudDawg

5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    People have no respect for the fish and water They must never take kids fishing and see all the wonderful smiles.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Let someone do that down here and I will be on the rampage, god knows that the local warden (read: drunk) would not do any investigating.

Aaron

TA2D

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The dumping had to be where the killing started.It will most likely take a member of the public to put a stop to it.I have been there.Nuff said.peewee-williams

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is just irresponsible. People are too lazy and cheap to go about in properly disposing of trash/chemicles/tires/ anything anymore. It makes me sick to see my fishing holes cluttered with waste. I would be deathly sick if someone caused a fish kill being an idiot.

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

There ya go Aaron. There's a job you can look at!

Suds

10. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I agree it pi$$es me off also. I think there shout be stiff finds AND imprisonment for any one that dose such a thing

11. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i saw that in the newspaper that someone dumped ammonia somewhere in the creek. also i didnt know there where fish in salt creak:eek:oooh: :confused2:

12. geihsler

geihsler New Member

State:
    nebraska
    This does pissme off, if I was hunting bears for gall bladders, two weeks and I'd be busted

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I know right! I'm still mad that the Feds didn't request the Sheriff's investigating the crime.

SudDawg

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't understand why the sheriff would offer help, he should have just went to work, it's his job. it sounds to me like they already know who did it.

15. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Well actually it falls under federal jurisdiction. If the Department of Environmental Quality doesn't want to play nice with the Sheriffs department, then they don't have to. Yeah it does sound very suspiscious. We'll see if anything turns up, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

SudDawg

16. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Amonia? (sp) Meth lab. I bet they were making meth and got rid of the by product in the water.
    Bill

17. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    You know it come to mind that there is already a well funded and orginized group that could be a big help in a situation like this.
    P.E.T.A. they would be perfect for this kind of situation, lets assume it was drug makers they were proabably testing their stuff on our little furrie friends and then killing all those fish. Think of the message it would seen to all the world. Now I said the above tongue in cheek but what would it hurt to ask them to look in to it.
    I think the situation with not using the Sheriff is the old story about a fedreal agency seeing it's self superior to a local one.
    I generaly think peta has life F.U.B.A.R. but they could be debrainwashed and pointed in the right direction and become productive members of socity again.

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    They don't want the sheriff's help ,almost sounds like a sweep under rug sort of thing. I'll agree on the stiff fines,jail time,also make them clean up the whole area and have to pay for it out of own pocket .Could think of a lot of other things but can't say on here.

19. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Third time in 5 years. Someones gettin greased.

20. suddawg

suddawg New Member

That's actually a good possibility now that you mention it. And I agree with the idea of the feds thinking they are superior to local law enforcement.

SudDawg