this just gets old after a while

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fwmud, Jan 14, 2006.

1. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I've been in commerical and industrial electrical work for years. I work in and around a lot of people and important and expensive things. For all my life I've been honest. I don't take what isn't mine.
    The other day the general contractor called a job meeting. Seems someone who works at the plant had a briefcase "stolen" out his vehicle. Guess who the first group of people who were suspect? thats right, the constrution workers.
    Why is this?Is it because we work for a living? A cellphone from one of the riggers also was "missing".We got a 10 minute speech on the wrongs and rights and what "could happen" if WE didn't return the briefcase.
    As a lead man, I was asked if I had anything to say. Wrong question to be asking me at this point. I told the GC that not only was this a waste of time, it was dam insulting because the plant had no such meeting to question them. he got upset so (in a very nice polite way) I explained that the rigger lost his phone 3 times the first day he was on site.NOT stolen, lost!The briefcase had to have a explaination.
    Ok, heres what REALLY happened;
    The rigger foreman,once again lost his phone and a truckdriver found it at the loading dock. (where he was unloading) the briefcase was a rouse.The owner of the briefcase confessed that it was not stolen. He had a pile of paperwork that was overdue, so he claimed the case was stolen so as to take the office heat off himself.
    When i asked the GC if there was going to be another meeting so he could apologize to us as a group for accusing us of stealing , he said no. So, me being me, I waited till he was with a large group of workers and brought up the subject. he tried to slink his way out,but, I wasn't going to let that happen. he then changed his tune and started to half-way apoligize.
    I then informed him I already knew the truth and had been waiting for him to "cowboy up" and admit his wrong.
    needless to say, mine are bigger than his when it comes to admitting when I'm wrong, and I told him the same.
    My advice to all;
    "Quit using stereotyping"
    it might get you hurt

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man that sucks, I've always been agaisnt "stereotyping". It's just wrong!

Zakk

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    If something is stolen, I would think the right thing to do is have a meeting with all about it. That's what I would want done if I was the victim. Stereotyping in a plant to me would be to single out one person and maybe their friends cause of the way the dress are dont go with the flow or just cause you dont like the guy etc. Having a meeting with all is the right
    thing to do IMO. I wouldn't mind if someone asked me if I new anything about it. I would mind if they didn't believe me and tried to pin it on me without asking everybody.
    I have been through this on jobs before and I was a leadsman on one and a foreman on the other. We had a meeting, explained what happen, told what would happen if caught, even offered a reward and to keep their name quite if they new who did it. I dont like a thief, anyway I can find out or catch one is good for me.
    Once the truth was known, in your situation, I would fire the guy for lying and tell the rest of the hands what happen. I would not apologized for asking about it in a meeting. How else are you going to get to truth of things. You didn't say if the boss called a separate meeting with the office people. Still it doesn't matter.

Not trying to burn on you Keith but I would not confront my Boss in front of everybody else to hear. I would talk to my boss in private about any concerns but would not call him out in public. To me that is disrespectful, shows other hands they can get away with treat the boss anyway they want. I seen that happen before and not only was the guy put on
    crap list, he ended up loosing his foreman job to me. Getting in bosses face where all can see, is not a good thing. There is a place and time for that. Good way to get canned or off the raise list.
    This was when I worked at Lone Star Steel

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    dano, first, he didn't "imply" one of the workers took it, he said it.
    Second, he wasn't my boss.
    And third, he's a "chicken-shirt" to start with.
    there was no "if one of you guys tookit" there was only,"whichever one of you took it, needs to return it."
    Thats what i meant by stereotyping.
    Probably didn't make it clear enough,i guess.
    You know how typing vs. speaking is.
    plus, I always practice and believe, that if you screw up in private or in public, the aplology should be made the same way.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats why I work for myself, which still isn't easy, but I dont have to kiss somebody s butt. Spent 10 years in the corporate world, got tired of it put my stuff in a box and went home. And the 20 years before that I worked construction Not much better either.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am proud of you for telling that "Dweezle Necked Pinhead" what was what!!!

You and me are alot alike, only I have never been in the position were it really counted as yours did.

You Da Man!!!

7. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I too have been the victim of false accusations at work because I'm a "blue-collar" employee. I work with a lot of engineers and some of them like to look down apon a lot of the technicians and blame us when something they did went wrong. I've had to tell a few of them "Just because you have went to school longer than I did doesn't make you smarter or BETTER than me!" None of them have much to say to that! (I in no way am bashing any engineer BOC members...)

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i work construction also and when someones tools come up missing the first people to get questioned or checked are the day laborers and nine times outta ten one of them are the culprit....talk about your stereo type.....

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I know what you mean. I was an installation superintendant for conveyor and rack systems. One large customer we had always made us get porta-johns when we worked at their operating distribution centers. Didn't matter if we went back for a 2 day job, we had to get the blue space shuttles. Nothing like being good enough to install a couple of million dollars worth of equipment their business depended on, but apparently us construction trash might not have been able to figure out indoor plumbing.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You go gettem Keith.

If calling a jerk a jerk cost me my job, it wasn't worth having. Just too damned many butt lickers in this world and boss's that think it should be that way.

I've educated a few boss's and employees too. My being straight forward and factually to the point never bothered me. I've also eaten my own sheet when I screwed up too.

I do see more master and slave attitude here in the south than I ever did anywhere else. Don't mean us slaves have to go for it though.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The rigger foreman,once again lost his phone

Either he wants to lose it or needs a chain for it around his neck.

the briefcase was a rouse.The owner of the briefcase confessed that it was not stolen. He had a pile of paperwork that was overdue, so he claimed the case was stolen so as to take the office heat off himself.

Owner should be in unemployment line without collecting money.

When i asked the GC if there was going to be another meeting so he could apologize to us as a group for accusing us of stealing , he said no.

Probably following instructions and no one above him thought to tell him to apologize and no common sense to take it upon himself to do it. Sometimes people don't realize that there is a right and wrong way. Morals and ethics are not something everyone has these days. Too busy being busy. It's a crazy world out there. IMO, he should have been put in his place, and possibly on his work record also.

12. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Cheryl, who do you think "put him in his place?"
    I won't stand to have my boys run over like that.
    Their only rule is:
    "Nobody messes with you but me!"
    Therefore I must keep my promise.

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

I was agreeing with you, Keith. Guess it's one of those miscommunication things between words and meanings. :eek: :)

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The little guy that gets dirty for a living always get the blame.:cursing:
    Bill

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have to agree, some engineers are like that but most are great guys and gals. I worked around chemical engineers for 32 years... the last ten years, I worked very close to them. Never forget the first time I found myself alone with 8 of them in a company jet going to Houston. We spent several days in Houston on new plant design, after that they didn't bother me. I found out they have plenty smart knowledge but some lack common old horse sense. That was the reason the company was deploying me to work with them. A few years before I retired I had 6 chemical engineers reporting to me. One of my peers had a PhD in CE. I often wondered how they felt about working for a high school drop out. :)

Keith... I know what you're talking about. I was on the other side.. I've seen construction and contractors get blamed at times when they were blameless. Don't remember any stealing problems.

16. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know if I coudl have kept my cool like that. I may have been a little more harsh;) Way to go though on standing your ground.

17. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Kieth,

You done great. Like it was said before, too many boot lickers out there. Moreover, the man with the energy and integrity to root out a vice usually plants a virtue in its place- and for that (even though the outline of the virtue was placed here and not in the stooopervisor's head) I am at the least thankful for your act.

"Physical courage, which engages all danger, will make a person brave in one way, and moral courage, which defies popular opinion, makes a man brave in a wholly other way." -Charles Caleb Colton.

I think that sums your situation up right there, brother. I applaud you.

Keep on keeping on it.

-Bizarro