This is wierd - Chicken liver and Bluehgills

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by master_cat, Feb 26, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i went fishing in a pond yesterday and fished with chickinlivers i counndt keep thke bluegills from biteing they wouindt stop so i pulled out the worms bluegills woundt touich them but the channels did i wonder y this is

2. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Yeah that happens to me alot in small ponds also. I think its easier to tear a peice of liver of the hook than a piece of a nightcrawler. Mabye there just to lazy to try to tear of pieces of worms when other food sources are available.

3. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    That definately is wierd Master Cat. Sometimes it's just not meant for us to understand I guess. Particulary when their passing up a familiar & natural bait for something that is actually not natural to them. Go figure.

Frank

4. spoonkilr

spoonkilr New Member

State:
    california
    just nice to catch fish even if it is the wrong kind--weird

5. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I hav enever had that problem with Chicken Liver, in fact the ONLY fish I do catch is Channels on Chicken liver other than that I don't get any bites at all..lol

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    About 3 years ago I was using chicken livers and the bass were tearing them up. Just lob the liver out in the lake jig it a couple times and bang bass on.

7. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Using liver this time of year will bring a variety of fish calling. I would say lack of fishermen feeding them over the winter...LOL

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i've had this happen before too. the only place though is morse reservoir here in indiana, i was fishing there one night last summer and couldn't keep the bluegills and small white bass from hitting my livers and shrimp i was using. it was very weird i will say.

9. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I always catch white bass and drum with chicken livers when I'm going after channels. The drums are the ones the get on my nerves though, because if I catch one there's five more ready to clean me out of bait. So then I have to move.

10. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    My Dad and I use to fish the ponds on a military base when I was younger. He was fishing on the bottom for channels and using livers and the next thing he knew he was fighting a 15lb largemouth. The Gamewarden said he had never seen or heard of that happening. Goes to show you that some fish will eat anything when they are hungry.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i run into that problem with warmouth in the river. Also want to hear something even weirder??? At the Eng. Dam i caught a 4 pound largemouth on a single piece of corn while fishing for carp

12. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Maybe it does have something to do with "hey lookie there"!!! Traditional baits don't always mean traditional fish. Two springs ago, I caught bass, crappie, warmouth, walleye, bullhead, and a channel cat on 3doz minnows. Now, I can understand the bass, crappie, and the walleye, but the other three confused me untill I did a little reading, and realizing that fish, when hungry enough, will eat anything that looks like food.

Ray

13. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    was fishing with doughball for carp about 8 years ago and got a run when i reeled it in i had a trout on there,talk about wierd

14. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Keep this in your notebook! Another great experience to add to your catfishing knowledge!

15. Jayhawkguy

Jayhawkguy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I find bluegill to be annoying unless I am trying to catch them to use for bait. They make great bluecat and flathead bait.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One reason why liver is my favorite bait. Ive caught all kinds of fish using livers from bass, bluegill, carp and cats. At first I thought it was weird now I use livers for bluegill all the time to catch for bait, just cut into small pieces. Heck ive even reeled in crawdads attached to my liver but they usually let go before you can land em.

17. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Liver is an excelent striper and channel cat bait for sure! I dont think I have ever caught perch on liver, but I sure will try next time I go out!

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i was surprised last year i caught about 30 small stripers on liver also ive caught river chubs and rock bass on it. this works nice because i get fresh cut bait especialy the river chubs work great with this!

19. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't use livers too much, just a prefernce thing. But when I was younger, my dad and I were fishing Meyer's Lake in NE Iowa with livers for cats one night, when something went to tapping on my line. I set the hook and reeled in a 10" bluegill, that I hooked in the ANUS! I don't know if I want to know...maybe liver really "attracts" them, eh?:)

20. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    yeah that is wierd most the time i have trouble with turtles stealing my live like the soft shell i caught at the river last year it when atlest 5 to 7 #