THIS IS WHAT LOVE IS ALL ABOUT

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bubbakat, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    THIS IS WHAT LOVE IS ALL ABOUT

It was a busy morning, approximately 8:30 a.m., when an elderly gentleman in his 80's, arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He stated that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am. I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would to able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, we began to engage in conversation. I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I then inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now. I was surprised, and asked him, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?" He smiled as he patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm, and thought, "That is the kind of love I want in my life." True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.

With all the jokes and fun that are in e-mails, sometimes there are some that come along that have an important message, and this is one of those kind. Just had to share it with you all.

Oh, by the way, peace is seeing a sunset and knowing who to thank. The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have. (Amen to that!) Please share this with someone you care about - I JUST DID.

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thank you for posting that Willard. My dad has Alzheimer's, and it meant a lot to me. I have a wonderful stepmother and she loves him very much, so I take comfort in knowing that when those days come, she will be there for him along with my sister and I. If you folks haven't seen the movie "The Notebook", from the novel by Nicholas Sparks, rent it. It's a wonderful love story, and what you posted could be a page taken from it :smile2:.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    A fine post Bubba. It's not just an email. There really are people like that.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fine post Willard.

Your post reminded me of my father in law. He took care of my mother in law at home with help from Home Healthcare for almost ten years until she died in her sleep. She had Parkinson and Alzheimer's, for the last few years she knew no one. He didn't like leaving her long enough to walk to the mail box that was 200 ft from the house. He was in his 70's and 80's during that time. We would try to go up there every 2 or 3 weeks so he could go to town or do a little brush hogging.
    They are both gone now, if we could live it over, our visits would have been a lot more often.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Willard we have a guy here at work that just went through that exact same thing. His wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 3 years ago. When I met here about a year ago, she could still carry a conversation, but barely. She had trouble remembering at that time how to climb stairs, turn on the tv, etc. He faithfully stayed by her side and enjoyed what time he had left with her. He is a very strong man, I don't think I could have done what he did and still remain the great person he is. He hasn't once allowed himself to get down about it openly. She passed about a month ago. Very fast they said. They had been married for more than 40 years. This story reminded me of him and how strong he was/is. Thanks Willard.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Willard,

Thanks for a great post. Some people can only hope that they find someone to share their life with them, like that gentleman.

Take care.
    Cheryl

7. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Its a terrible disease, it doesn't only effect the patient. but all the loved
    ones. I once asked my doctor if there was a history could I be at risk, he
    said maybe in a few years there might be a test. He said at this time
    no test could be done, Paul, he said, look at it this way, if you should be
    stricken...you won,t know it. I thought about what he had said and it lightened my heart...as I held my mothers hand and watched her breath
    her last breath, ravaged by the disease.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Willard for an excellent post. It makes one wonder if you have the love it takes to go for the long hall. I pray that we all have.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I saw this piece and thought some here could relate to it. I went thru it with a friend of mine. This reminded me of him and I saw his wife go from a chipper lady to an almost child like state and he was a rough logger by trade and rough as a corn cob but the love and gentleness I saw out of him while she was stricken for nearly 4 years. I knew that feeling he had could be only one thing and that was the love he had for her.

It made me stronger from just being around him and observing his actions. He use to take her out every Friday night for supper before she got real bad and you could still see them quit often after that on Friday night and the woman didn't know any of us and I had broke bread at their table more times then I can remember.