This is what has been working for me.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Jul 30, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Several people have sent me PM's on what I've been doing recently to be catching fish. Here it is, I hope this will help some of you, I know it has helped me!

This is the best year I have ever had in my pursuit of these fish. I have been fishing for them primarily since 2004 but started in 2001. I have spent soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many hours on the river, I don't even know if I can count that high!:wink:

I have been fishing the Melvin Price stretch for the most part this year. Once in awhile I'll venture down town for a change of scenery, There are alot of big fish in that stretch of river. (Melvin Price) Sometimes you have to have a variety of bait to see what the hell they will be eating. Sometimes they want filets, sometimes the heads, sometimes chunks. It changes, why? I have no idea! That's why I really enjoy going after these fish. They can be so picky and wishy washy so to speak. When I start out I'll present several kinds of bait, shad, skipjack, herring, asain carp. I'll try different cuts, filets, gutpockets, chunks, heads. I'll usually fish 4-5 poles and each one will have a different bait on it. Then I wait to see which one they hit! And when they do I feel a great sense of accomplishment because I have discovered what they want to eat at that particular time/day. If I don't get a fish in the boat within the first 20-25 minutes of getting all my lines out, I move. Even if they are just nibbling on it. I am after the hungry fish, I want the fish that just slam the pole to the water!! If I am sitting in a spot and getting nibbles but no slammers, I move!! Bottom line, if the fish are hungry, they will slam that bait and run with it! I won't stick around and wait to see if those nibblers hook themselves, I am after the fish that want to eat and eat aggressively. I have just recently started doing this and it has REALLY worked! You can't argue with the results!

I also look for changes on the river bottom, your graph will tell you where the blues are. I personally have turned the "fish identifier" off on my graph. I STRICTLY read the bottom of the river, this too has been instrumental in my recent success! If I see dramatic changes in the river floor, I anchor and fish, sometimes I need 16 ounces of weight to get my bait to the river floor but it works!!

When I change locations, I also rebait with fresh bait. Fresh is best. I sometimes spend up to two hours catching bait before I start "fishing". I want a large selection of different baits so I can figure out what they want to eat and how they want the bait.

I hope this will help, I know as far as I'm concerned this has produced the best/largest fish I have EVER caught!!

2. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish up around kansas ciity on the missouri it differs a lot probably than an the miss. but how deep of a are you fishing?
    That must be some really swift current to need that much lead, I think i must be underestimating the current this fish like!:confused2:

3. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you find a really deep hole but it seems to have a really smooth bottom without any real structure do you think it is worth fishing?

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    You know, in my honest opinion, I think it depends on the time of year. Will I stop and fish it? Absolutely, but if I don't have a fish in the boat after 20-25 minutes of getting all my poles in the water, I move!

5. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Are u finding more fish in the holes ore the flats?

6. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    riv rat cant agree with yo more 30 min is my cut off just have to move to get on the hungry fish but sometimes dont have to move far just 20ft to the left are right or up and down if the hole looks good go all around it

7. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You take a guy out fishing and show him a few tricks and look what happens! Good going Bill. Glad to see you doing well!
    Vince

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks Vince, we need to hook up again one of these days, maybe I can refresh your memory!:crazy::big_smile::eek:oooh::roll_eyes::wink::smile2: