This is what happens when you use light gear for big flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well me and the boys hit it again last night on the Colorado...and I got a story to tell (if you have time:smile2:)...We got on the river at regular time and got some 'gills in the livewell. I was kind of worried that the fishing was gonna be slow because we only got seven 'gills compared to the usual dozen or so...and we had work for those! Past experience has taught me that when the 'gills aint playing, niether are the flatties...Plus I kept worrying that the spawn was starting and the flats wouldnt want to bite at all anyway...

Well I was wrong! My oldest got the first fish in the boat not long after setting up on my favorite spot...I was using 7/0 cirlce hooks for the first time so I was worried that we would miss a few before we got the hang of things....thanks to all the advice that I got from you all here on the BOC, those hooks worked like a charm!!!

Okay, here is where things get interesting...I will just start by saying that I think that I may have had the best fight of the year (for me) last night...around 9:00, one of my rods doubled over hard! I had a live 'gill on it but when I went to reel in, the fish got off...to my surprise, that fish came right back again not even 2 minutes later! The second time I got him hooked...and he took line out like it was nothing! I had the drag set to the maximum but that fish had his way with that gear! The tip of the rod was in the water so I knew he was a big one and he just kept peeling line!

Let me stop here for a second to inform you all that the rod that fish decided to hit was a rod left to me from my buddy who moved to Japan this year...a medium action Shakespeer tiger rod...not to trash talk his gear but...not the best choice for chasing the big ones...none the less, it was my own fault for using it...

okay back to the story...(I hope you're still with me)...this fish was playing me like a rookie and there was nothing I could do but hope that he would tire out quick...yeah right...this fish had my back aching! I almost took a knee (seriously)...then he did his move...he went into a nearby snag and wedged himself in there good! there was nothing I could do...everytime I let off on the rod to give my back a break, he went deeper into the snag. So there I am with the rod bent almost in two...waiting for the fish to make a move...but his move was to keep going deeper...then I heard the first sign of my defeat...the rod started to strain...then SNAP!! It cracked in the three places!!! At that point, I tried wrap a t-shirt around my hand and arm and wrestle the fish up but nope...the line snapped (50lb test power pro)...I just sat there dumb founded...my boys kept talking to me but I couldnt tell you what they were saying...finally I got off my butt and baited back up on the final three rods...the thought crossed my mind that the "big one" should have scared the little ones off and that we should move...but guess what, after about 10 minutes, the little ones were back in:smile2:. We caught 4 flatties last night. Me catching one and my oldest catching 3...(He's still talking trash as I type this)...My youngest gave up after eating his hot dog and went to sleep in a sleeping bag on the back of the boat... I took some pics of the fish as well as the broken rod...I guess I know what I want for father's day:smile2:...by the way, all of this is true story, Ive got no reason to lie about this...aside from the fact that Im a fisherman!

make sure you take the right gear for the fight! Good luck and God bless...

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Here are some pics of what used to be a rod!:smile2:

Attached Files:

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Man I feel your pain, but it makes for as great story,:wink:
    Thanks for shairing it with us,,,
    I think we all have been there at one time or another...:eek:oooh:
    I can still remeber like it was yesterday a few fish that got away, It keeps us comming back..
    Puddle

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Wish your story could have had a different ending! Gotta watch out,kids aint never gonna let you forget they outfished you! I always say-There aint no such thing as overkill in flattin.Thanks for sharing the story and the pics.:wink:

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    great story, wish i had that problem. going out sunday, lookin for them blues.

6. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Thats how those big ones get bigger, funny how they can find a snag so quick.They have been busting my gear all spring, only line though.Great story thanks for sharing.Sorry about the big one getting away.
    Chris

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    great story and pics !!!!! i wish ya had got him for sure !!!! next time ya will :big_smile::wink:

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    So you have, on your own accord, an inferior rod and reel. but it's spun with power pro? doesnt make sense to me. I would never put such an expensive line on a reel I felt was not up to catching a big one.

Plus, and no offense, but if you are keeping those flatties I am glad the big one got away to hopefully be caught by a CPR fishermen. Just my two cents...

9. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Hey, great story, man! That's one you and your kids will remember for a while.

10. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    That was a great story,sad ending though

11. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Dameon...good point about low quality equipment...it always fails at the worst time. My brother-in-law caught a 220 lb halibut on a rod lighter than yours and spun with 20lb test. I was fortunate to get it all on tape...sometimes it does work out...In the clips you can see the rod is literally bent to the point the tip is completely doubled over and it never failed..

clips are short...about 1 min each...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVhE2YRGdbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzYLgCPK1lE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC92owTvKoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q7RzAAW07Y

Pic of my brother-in-law next to his fish...

[​IMG]

12. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    That was a very nice story thanks for sharing and get him next time.

13. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I loved the story!!Sometimes the fish will win for sure!!Must of been a 60 lb,r for sure!:crazy:

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Dameon, thanks for the pics and the story. This story may help with your kids and having patience for catfishing as they grow up. Remember how our night of fishing changed in an instant with the big one.

15. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    All that was my buddy's gear. He upgraded to 50lb test a while back when he first had lost another big one...just never his rods and reels, lol! Like I said, Im not trying to bash on his gear. I dont buy expensive stuff either...but I have learned that light gear like that is'nt the best option unless you want to even the playing field for the fish and have a really good fight on your hands!

On a more serious note though, in maybe three years of fishing here in Az, I have kept maybe 3 or 4 catfish...I CPR everything I catch...

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Just fish with the best that you can AFFORD.It,ll all work out in the long run!:wink::big_smile::wink::big_smile:

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dameon, that looks like one of those tiger rods you get from walmart for around 20 bucks for the combo? An actual ugly stik tiger rod is a totally differnt beast, they are yellow and sell for around 55 bucks for just the rod. And will handle any flathead

I wish you better luck next time in landing the big fish!

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

What a difference between the two rods,I,ve wondered why they let them use the name?I,m pretty amazed that the combo from wal-mart lasted as long into the fight as it did.One hell of a good story though.:big_smile:

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    great story, bad ending (for you) but great story, thanks

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Dameon,

"Man -What else can I say Buddy"?
    :sad2:
    I'm on a gathering right now down here on the Colorado river here in Blythe Ca. & I just back in from getting some gills for later tonight for some Flathead fishing myself, and all that I have to say is:
    "I wish that I could get into them like that I get into them tonight like that". :0a32:

:wink: